Takiing the green beam on Netherspite

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Takiing the green beam on Netherspite

Postby gummyrabbit » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:40 am

Everytime I get to this fight, I argue with the group that I can take the green beam (especially if we have a run full of mana users). I know your mana pool goes down, but does it really matter since I'm in the red beam next and I get all agro no matter what? The only issue might be I might take a crushing blow with no holy shield up for a bit until the debuff wears off and my mana returns.
gummyrabbit

Postby Marwan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:54 am

I usually always end up taking the green beam.

I've never had a problem with it sucking all my mana at all ... if you have BoW on you should recover enough mana during the phase change to fire up a SoR and use that to get enough aggro until the red beam pops up.

While the red is up nothing really matters as long as you are dancing back and forth in and out of the beam.
Last edited by Marwan on Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marwan

Postby sbeacher » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:57 am

The main issue is making sure you have enough mana back by the time he comes out of the banish to grab aggro on him in the few seconds between him coming out and before the red portal pops back up.

He has a normal aggro table then and will go run off to smash your warlocks/etc if you don't pick him up right away.
sbeacher

Postby bigdunka » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:57 pm

We almost always have a warrior as the other tank when we run Kara, and since the warrior will almost always be higher on the threat table than the pally because of mana issues, we always have the warrior stay in during the phase out stages, regardless if it was the warrior's red beam. I've taken the green beam too and it works fine as long as somebody that stays behind has aggro during the off phases. If you need to take the red beam for a 2nd time, you should have plenty of time during a rest stage to get a little mana back to drop a judge and have enough mana for holy shield for the rest of the fight.
bigdunka

Postby ldeboer » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:34 pm

Same as most here losing you mana isnt a problem at all.

While all the party retreats you and the other tank stay in dance around whacking him. Judge wisdom on him and get some mana back. If you get hit by netherbreath dance over towards party and get healed and get some mana.

When he comes out of banish you and the other tank are only two in so one of you will have him it doesnt matter which. Find red beam and stand in it.
ldeboer

Postby Dendrah » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:41 am

Use a trinket with a use ability to add some Dodge/block/... That will take care of the gab the lack of HS leaves.

I did netherspite the first time on my paladin the other day. What do you mean with hopping in and out of that red beam? Looks like I did it wrong in some way.
Dendrah

Postby Andurin » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:43 am

I always pop up a Seal of Vengeance right before I lost my last bit of mana... just to keep some damage ongoing, and the first thing after the frisbee pull is a judge wisdom. Gives enough mana to grab him fast enough with a judgement after the banish phase. I also had some great help from my offtank that knew how to keep him at away from the party.

No problem at all taking the green beam :)
Andurin

Postby Makaijin » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:33 am

bigdunka wrote:We almost always have a warrior as the other tank when we run Kara, and since the warrior will almost always be higher on the threat table than the pally because of mana issues, we always have the warrior stay in during the phase out stages, regardless if it was the warrior's red beam. I've taken the green beam too and it works fine as long as somebody that stays behind has aggro during the off phases. If you need to take the red beam for a 2nd time, you should have plenty of time during a rest stage to get a little mana back to drop a judge and have enough mana for holy shield for the rest of the fight.

There isn't a need to use a warrior over any other tank in between phases. There is an aggro wipe every time he comes out of the banish phase. Any tank can then pick him up and build some threat from that point on until the beams starts shooting again.
Makaijin

Postby bigdunka » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:45 am

Dendrah wrote:I did netherspite the first time on my paladin the other day. What do you mean with hopping in and out of that red beam? Looks like I did it wrong in some way.

You have to keep dancing in and out of the red beam or else it will kill your max HP. I do a 5 count, strafe out, 5 count, and strafe back in. You keep aggro as long as you don't stay out for too long.
bigdunka

Postby ldeboer » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:35 pm

Dendrah wrote:Use a trinket with a use ability to add some Dodge/block/... That will take care of the gab the lack of HS leaves.

I did netherspite the first time on my paladin the other day. What do you mean with hopping in and out of that red beam? Looks like I did it wrong in some way.

Undertsand the red beam not only does it give you agro from netherspite

1.) Health is modified - the first application gives +31,000 maximum health, with additional stacks reducing maximum health by 1000 per stack.
2.) Replenishes full health every tick.
3.) Nether exhaustion 20 sec after leaving the beam.

What this means:

The first time you stand in beam you get 31K HP
Lets say you get hit for say 7K by netherspite
Your Hp would now be 24K
Red beam ticks you get full health back but your HP is 30K

You cant stand in the beam indefinitely because after 24 ticks on you your max HP is 7K and you will get 1 shotted by his 7K hit.

So standing in the red beam gives you guaranteed agro on netherspite but your HP is going down with each tick even though your are full health each time.

Hence what you have to do is beam dance you stand in the beam take a a few ticks then leave the beam moving sideways so beam now hits netherspite. You cant stay out 20 secs else you cant go back in you will have nether exhaustion. So for tanks is kind of 5 counts in 5 counts out you are aiming to take beam for around 50% of time its not critical just 5 seconds is a sort of safe timing.
ldeboer

Postby Mordinm » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:21 pm

The reb beam adds 31k life on the first application. So if you start with 15k HP after 1 tick you have 46k, not just 31k. It also adds to your defense every tick. By the time you get to the point where he could one shot you, you are very near unhitable. The shadow aura on the other hand will get you every time. I've seen a tank stay in red till 1 life a few times.

Best way to do it is just watch you life. Hop in every 10 or 15 seconds or after you drop to 20k life or so. Stay in till the -damage buff drops from netherspite.

Also no need to waste mana while you are in the red beam. You're not going to out agro the casters in the blue or the rogues in the green no matter what you do. Just save up so you hit him with a sheild and judgement when he wipes agro after banish.
Mordinm

Postby Tiranknight » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:32 pm

Even though I feel uncomfortable staying in the Beam for very long... my guild tells me to not move out of it... because it shifts Netherspite and causes problems for them. I can ussually always come out alive... Just when he goes into banish phase I bubble while running to the windows/wall. and run back ready to pick him up before next Beam phase if the other tank isn't ready to get back into his beam yet... ussually I pop Moroes trinket 10 seconds before banish phase begins just to be on the safe side.

So it is possible to tank him the whole duration of the Red Beam... for all the lazy people out there. :lol: Not safe, but doable.
Tiranknight

Postby Cearn » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:13 am

Tiranknight wrote:Even though I feel uncomfortable staying in the Beam for very long... my guild tells me to not move out of it... because it shifts Netherspite and causes problems for them.

His hitbox is about as big as the Ironforge Auction House, it actually is fairly hard to move him while dancing the red beam...
Cearn

Postby ldeboer » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:55 pm

I agree he turns but doesn't move if you straffe sideways.

The other thing is I don't get what the problem is with him moving unless the one in the green beam is in too close and loses the beam and thats just gumby factor you dont have to stand that close. In my case I generally get a few hits off till I lose my mana walk back towards the portal and start dancing for all the damage I can do :)
ldeboer

Return to Karazhan