Trash Mobs that Give you Nightmares

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Trash Mobs that Give you Nightmares

Postby Tiranknight » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:45 pm

Just through running Heroics... in your experiences what are some of the worst Trash mobs that just make you wince every time their pulls are up and you have to tank them. My quick list:

Underbog Lords: In Underbog... these things can be awful if you have a below average healer, DPS that doesn't burn through them fast enough... or you a "oh snap" avoidance trinket to fall back on. After they get to about 6 Growths you're ussually in trouble... and they place that stacked Poison debuff on you that you constantly have to be on the lookout to Cleanse off. IMO harder than any of the bosses in that instance.

Gargantuan Abyssals - In Arcatraz. I've seen good Healers have fits with these guys because of the insane AoE damage they cause to the whole group with their Meteor strikes... and if one person decides to be cool and not stack on top of the rest of the group they will quickly be making an exit.

Felguard Annihilators - in Blood Furnace. These guys Hurt...and can hit for 4-5k on even well armored tanks. I think theres 1 pull where there's 2 of em plus an extra mob. If you don't have a Lock to banish or Hunter to try and trap...that's going to be a painful pull.

any mob in Auchenai Crypts... that whole place gives me nightmares.
Tiranknight

Postby ldeboer » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:18 pm

I actually hate the first 4 pull in H-SV leading up the ramp to the 1st boss where the water elemental pats. As I run heroics without CC we just coble together a group and I always end up there with doh no CC.

It's a long LOS pull back to tunnel, they like to stand and cast and 2 fear bombs, 1 hard hitting melee (critting you while feared) and an oracle silencing does not make for fun.

I die there more than any other heroic ... died twice in H-SP once (hangs head in shame).

The other one is the room with murmur and you get there and realize ohhh crap no cc. Killing the spellbinder while trying to interrupt the summoner always makes for fun.
ldeboer

Postby Tiranknight » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:37 pm

Agreed with you on the Steamvaults pulls... most of the Tanks on this site rank SV on par with the easier Heroics... but with the large volume of annoying Caster mobs...that like to Spam fear it can be a big pain...without Tremor totem, fear ward.

not to mention Hydromancer Thespia Heroic...without a Warlock's Banish, or using the Hunter misdirection trick is one of the most difficult Heroic Boss encounters out there. Especially if you have Melee DPS that just won't stay out of those Storm Clouds. :roll:
Tiranknight

Postby ldeboer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:20 pm

H-SV was daily bit the dust there again last night ... no cc in grp again.

Really got to find a better way to do this pull the shear length of the pull means the fear bombs basically are primed to fear they walk around door and fear moment they have sight.

We killed the oracle (which was skull) so when we rezed we had a simple 3 mob pull so no problems which is how it usually goes.

Anyone got a better no cc way of dealing with this mob .. Its the closeness of packs around this pull that makes it a pain.
ldeboer

Postby Neara » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:56 pm

ldeboer wrote:Anyone got a better no cc way of dealing with this mob .. Its the closeness of packs around this pull that makes it a pain.

Bring lots of Shamans :D

Resto shaman + 3x Elemental Shaman + Tankadin = win
Neara

Postby Makaijin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:12 pm

ldeboer wrote:H-SV was daily bit the dust there again last night ... no cc in grp again.

Really got to find a better way to do this pull the shear length of the pull means the fear bombs basically are primed to fear they walk around door and fear moment they have sight.

We killed the oracle (which was skull) so when we rezed we had a simple 3 mob pull so no problems which is how it usually goes.

Anyone got a better no cc way of dealing with this mob .. Its the closeness of packs around this pull that makes it a pain.

I've never really had such a big problem with them. I just LoS pull using the tunnel and just consecrate everything. If you clear patrol inside the tunnel it's a pretty safe place to fight even when they fear so you don't pull extra adds.
Makaijin

Postby ldeboer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:37 pm

Makaijin wrote:
ldeboer wrote:H-SV was daily bit the dust there again last night ... no cc in grp again.

I've never really had such a big problem with them. I just LoS pull using the tunnel and just consecrate everything. If you clear patrol inside the tunnel it's a pretty safe place to fight even when they fear so you don't pull extra adds.

yeah same never get extra adds and they all go in consecrate and all stay on me which is why I get killed. Just get fear, fear,silence on me and healer while getting critted by casts and the melee one = dead tank.
ldeboer

Postby ldeboer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:41 pm

Neara wrote:
ldeboer wrote:Anyone got a better no cc way of dealing with this mob .. Its the closeness of packs around this pull that makes it a pain.

Bring lots of Shamans :D

Resto shaman + 3x Elemental Shaman + Tankadin = win

Yeah never have problem if we got totem or priest or even 1 cc just I seem to always end up in there with kitty and dps warriors. Probably cause I am only one in guild who generally doesn't worry about cc classes I take whatever.
ldeboer

Postby Mcgrumpy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:40 am

The trick to the Gargantuan Abyssals is to actually NOT stand on top of one another.

What i mean is, everyone who isn't the tank or melee should stand about 1-2 feet behind the tank. You'll know you're in the right spot when you stop taking the fire shield damage and getting the spell pushback.

You will be close enough to share the meteor damage, and the healer won't be getting interrupted.

Doing that way makes them pretty much trivial even on heroic.
Mcgrumpy

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:44 am

Mana Tombs heroic. Every single trash mob is a !@#$ing pain.

Should I kill the healer first? Or the one that spawns adds? Or the one that mana burns? Or the one that drops aggro every 5 seconds? Or the one that gouges me and then kills my healer? Or the one that casts double immolates all over my group?
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Tayle » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:39 am

Mcgrumpy wrote:The trick to the Gargantuan Abyssals is to actually NOT stand on top of one another.

What i mean is, everyone who isn't the tank or melee should stand about 1-2 feet behind the tank. You'll know you're in the right spot when you stop taking the fire shield damage and getting the spell pushback.

You will be close enough to share the meteor damage, and the healer won't be getting interrupted.

Doing that way makes them pretty much trivial even on heroic.

If you look at the markings on the floor in the rooms near the Gargantuans there are two patterns: diamonds and long bars. Both are exactly the right size for your group to use them to position correctly.

For a diamond have everyone in your group pile on the tip furthest from the mob, and then you pull it and run back and stand on the tip closest to the mob. Wait for it to come to you and tank it there.

For a bar have them stand on the side furthest from the mob where the bar is thinest, and you pull the mob and run back to the side that's closest to the mob, but where the bar is thinest.

Using those markers I've never had any problems with them and everyone in the group can easily see where they need to stand with no trial and error.
Tayle

Postby Kelaan » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:51 am

Really got to find a better way to do this pull the shear length of the pull means the fear bombs basically are primed to fear they walk around door and fear moment they have sight....

Clear the other packs first. I often go up and clear the 3 (4?) mobs at the top of the tunnel, so that even the most crazy fear IN the tunnel won't be too bad. The hardest part for me is not the fears, but the silences where I can't consecrate. You can often HoJ the first kill target if your threat is a bit low -- any group without CC is probably very strong on DPS, though, which means a concentrated zerg (I pity your healer! ;)) might work still.

If you don't have any CC, that means that you likely have a party consisting of nothing but paladins (stun chains!), warriors (chained fearbombs, aoe DPS), druids (bear offtank, feral charge rotations), and DPS shamen (pop a fire/earth totem + heroism = better healing and a beefy tank). You can either Go Slowly (so that you don't lose threat), or plan for things like offtank rotations.

Kill the casters first. The above party members are almost certainly going to destroy caster naga. Get a warrior or two to sunder initially so that the physical DPS is amplified, perhaps. As a benefit, there are fewer casters who can fear / silence you. Leave the hard-hitting melee guys for last.

(those are the only classes I can think of that don't have SOME form of CC that can be used. Ret paladins can use Repentance on the pull, and can also be another HoJ on some of the mobs.)

Another thing you could do is plan a bubble pull: Everyone else stands back, you do the normal LOS pull, and then when they get close you bubble (to avoid silence) and burn the rest of your mana on high ranked consecration and holy shields. That should get a pretty hefty amount of threat front-loaded. (I've never tried this ... you really would have to tell the group how you're planning to do it.)

I always found the silences to be more annoying than fears, esp on the last pulls before the final boss.

4x shamans DOES sound like a ton of fun, though. :)

edit:
ldeboer wrote:yeah same never get extra adds and they all go in consecrate and all stay on me which is why I get killed. Just get fear, fear,silence on me and healer while getting critted by casts and the melee one = dead tank.

True. It can really hurt. Having someone who can stun (or taunt!) one or two off of you helps, as does stacking devotion aura and some EH gear.

On-use trinkets for dodge or blocking can help for when you're silenced (though fears are still bad). I bet your PVP trinket would work once, as would the bubble-clearing macro. For that pull, you might consider putting Kings on the warriors and druids, and might consider asking one to go bear form to OT one of the casters.
Kelaan

Postby Tyaera » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:05 pm

The Champions in H SP that Frightening Shout piss me right the fuck off.
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Tyaera

Postby Seloei » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:48 pm

Heroic sv the pack with 2 fearers, healer + melee just before the hydromancer?

Easy... Wait for the elementals to go away, throw a frisbee, drop a consecrate midway to the group and tell your ranged to BURN skull down. Don't let him inside your fear range and she will be dead fast. Maybe will need to taunt off one of the dps if she changes agro. You + melee focus on the oracle who ran in to melee you, stun him when shes about to heal.

Or, you can just ignore the fearers at start, burn the melee, then just kill the fearers at range since they only throw a few bolts around and with a frisbee + almost full consec tick you should have atleast 3-5k threat on them, which is loads more than the healer can ever get.

But i agree with modus... mana tombs trash is the worst, it's so unpredictable that the only way we do it is burn them fast and hope nothing goes wrong.
Seloei

Postby Zaviv » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:28 pm

I've learned to try and take a lock with me doing H arc, damn those invis succubus

last time i was there, i missed one of the invis pat ones which came out and 2 shotted the healer. >.< bubble taunt ftw!
the real-life equivalent of WoW tanking is to pick a fight with a rabid pedophilic cannibal
and try to keep his attention while a pack of first-graders stab him to death with a spork.
Zaviv

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics