Tanking Illidan Stormrage - A guide for protection Paladins

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Postby TheNull » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:13 am

Worldie wrote:101.8 not 102.4 ;)

Thx, updated my post.

Stole that macro from somewhere else. =P
TheNull

Illdan

Postby Solitatis » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:13 am

Tanking illidan for the first time as we speak, in our guilds progress raid. First time guild is on him tonight. P2 on first attempt, but took a few shears. 2nd attempt got zero shears. Now time for the fire tanks and healers to do their thing. Ill report back later with experiences. Thank you worldie your post was most helpfull. Chucking them stone pots every 2 min, but only using holyshield as a reaction to shears, rest of the time i just let him hit me, healers are not having a problem at this time. we see when we get to p5 :)
Solitatis

Postby Worldie » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:14 am

Reactive using of HS isn't much good to be honest, you risk to be caught in a GCD
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Solitatis » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:18 am

Worldie wrote:Reactive using of HS isn't much good to be honest, you risk to be caught in a GCD

Yep, but im still nub to the fight, when i get a better feel of the shears ill start using HS, your guide was a bit confusing about that.
Solitatis

Postby Worldie » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:22 am

Take your time, everyone got his own style.

Might eventually just spam holy shield tbh, should work for learning.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby inthedrops » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:08 am

Worldie wrote:Take your time, everyone got his own style.

Might eventually just spam holy shield tbh, should work for learning.

I warn my healers ahead of time if I see that the last shear was getting close to my holyshield cooldown and then I hope that I can delay it a good second. Then it's back to spamming HS while making sure Shear is at least 2 seconds away from the HS cooldown.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Re: Illdan

Postby Andover » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:19 am

Solitatis wrote:Tanking illidan for the first time as we speak, in our guilds progress raid. First time guild is on him tonight. P2 on first attempt, but took a few shears. 2nd attempt got zero shears. Now time for the fire tanks and healers to do their thing. Ill report back later with experiences. Thank you worldie your post was most helpfull. Chucking them stone pots every 2 min, but only using holyshield as a reaction to shears, rest of the time i just let him hit me, healers are not having a problem at this time. we see when we get to p5 :)

If you're going to just use reactive HS may as well just have a Warrior do it.

Figure out the timing, read back in the Illidan posts and on here to learn his cast sequence. Paladins are great for this fight for the sole reason that we don't have to "save" our shield for Shear.

Put it up and leave it up, just learn when you need to hesitate a bit to make sure you're not caught in a GCD.
Andover

Postby Solitatis » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:36 pm

Success! (I know this should be posted in succes forum but also a bit of info and my experiences in it)

Tanked and killed illidan tonight in My guilds progress raid.

When I got the feel for the shears I could have holyshield up almost all the time. And i have the [Scarab of Displacement] equipt for the extra midigation and the use, wich really comes in handy if im stuck at global cooldown. The kill went smooth dident take any shears at all and no wargleaves!

I had a litle trouble picking him up at the start if P3, even potting wrath and exosism I lost the aggro at one point. Told the healers to chill a bit, and it went smooth from there on.

My experiences was the even thou i did not use reactive shielding in the end it did seam like his shear was 11-11½ secs roration, wich allowed for an extra exosism or judgement depending on the rotation, and then reapplying the HS before the next shear hit me. The treat output was more than enought, and I did not hear any complains about that.

Posing a link to my gear. Thank you all, would have been alot harder without this forum :)

Gear: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Stormscale&n=Solitatis
Solitatis

Re: Tanking Illidan Stormrage - A guide for protection Palad

Postby Amarant_Pally » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:37 am

Worldie wrote:[*]Avoidance: Illidan is a dual wielder, and well, he's kinda wearing a Blindfold. Thus he looks like having the dual wielder miss chance. However, without considering this, you should aim for around 60-65% pure avoidance pre buffs. 25%ish dodge, 20%ish parry and 10-12% miss are quite ok. Anywhere close to this is fine. I'd not recommend going with less than 55%, since he might burst you down very quick if you don't avoid a bit. I personally got istagibbed a week ago, by around 30k damage in 1 seconds. Now, that was parryhasted hits from melees + double parried Reckoning (yes, that was unlucky) and i didn't avoid any of 5 hits, so it can happen to get Istagibbed, but that might happen to anyone. Higher avoidance will prevent this.

Sorry for posting relevant questions in different threads (see my other post in Advanced Training), but a few replies in that post raised more questions in my head.

Here's the armory to our Warrior who was delegated to MT Illidan: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Arathor&n=R%C3%B3land

Is that enough avoidance? He wears the same gear for every encounter as, by his own admission, he "feels as if he doesn't need to change."

I don't know if healing him is a "problem," as I haven't had any discussion with healers about the encounter (except that I was the easier 2 of the Flame-tanks to heal), but the Avoidance numbers he has seems low compared to what Worldi suggests.

While I would love to build a strong case for me to MT Illidan, given that it took a few nights of attempts for us Flame-tanks to get things right, I feel as if we'd be regressing. I'm just trying to help our progression, and maybe, instead, building a strong case to convince the Warrior to change-up his gear a bit might be better.
Amarant_Pally

Postby caboom » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:42 am

Amarant_Pally wrote:
Worldie wrote:[*]Avoidance: Illidan is a dual wielder, and well, he's kinda wearing a Blindfold. Thus he looks like having the dual wielder miss chance. However, without considering this, you should aim for around 60-65% pure avoidance pre buffs. 25%ish dodge, 20%ish parry and 10-12% miss are quite ok. Anywhere close to this is fine. I'd not recommend going with less than 55%, since he might burst you down very quick if you don't avoid a bit. I personally got istagibbed a week ago, by around 30k damage in 1 seconds. Now, that was parryhasted hits from melees + double parried Reckoning (yes, that was unlucky) and i didn't avoid any of 5 hits, so it can happen to get Istagibbed, but that might happen to anyone. Higher avoidance will prevent this.

Sorry for posting relevant questions in different threads (see my other post in Advanced Training), but a few replies in that post raised more questions in my head.

Here's the armory to our Warrior who was delegated to MT Illidan: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Arathor&n=R%C3%B3land

Is that enough avoidance? He wears the same gear for every encounter as, by his own admission, he "feels as if he doesn't need to change."

I don't know if healing him is a "problem," as I haven't had any discussion with healers about the encounter (except that I was the easier 2 of the Flame-tanks to heal), but the Avoidance numbers he has seems low compared to what Worldi suggests.

remeber warriors use http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=2565 not http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=27179 like we do, getting more towards that avoidance cap from skills than we do, the downside for it beeing low number of charges, compared to us that we can chain HS and still have charges on it at the end of it's duration, problem beeing against a dual weilder the charges can be spend w/o mitigating the sheer in a warrior's case, but not in owrs, the problem for us beeing that if they take a sheer it's trivial for them to mitigate it by skills alone while for us it becomes a real problem.
Last edited by caboom on Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
caboom

Postby Amarant_Pally » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:48 am

caboom wrote:remeber warriors use http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=2565 not http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=27179 like we do, getting more towards that avoidance cap from skills than we do, the downside for it beeing low number of charges, compared to us that we can chaing HS and have more charges on it, problem beeing against a dual weilder the charges can be spend w/o mitigating the sheer.

I'm merely asking if his avoidance is low, ie. his dodge + parry.

Basically, is it worth him to drop +5% Block in favor of +5% more Dodge?

Edit: Rather, seeing as I don't know how he'd trade the Block Rating for Dodge, would it be better for him to use a Morose Watch instead of the DMC:V (with the added benefit of the click-effect)?
Amarant_Pally

Postby Saintsabbat » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:26 am

Thank you so much for this guide Worldie, yesterday on our 2nd night of attempts we had a 1% wipe but next reset he will go down for sure thanks to all the information and insight in this guide.

Keep up the amazing work mate, Saint x
Proud GM, RL and MT of <Cataclysm> Bronze Dragonflight 5/5 MH, 9/9 BT.
Saintsabbat

Postby Worldie » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:00 am

Amarant_Pally wrote:

He could use some more avoidance, but it's fine.
2 stam trinkets still make me want to kill kittens, expecially on a warrior.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Joanadark » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:00 am

Reactive using of HS isn't much good to be honest, you risk to be caught in a GCD

Soooo....yeah....

Found this out the hard way.
Teaches me to just assume everything will work fine if I do things the warrior way.

Sheared 4 times, but we still one-shotted it.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:04 am

Joanadark wrote:

Soooo....yeah....

Found this out the hard way.
Teaches me to just assume everything will work fine if I do things the warrior way.

Sheared 4 times, but we still one-shotted it.
Now give me that luck into having Naj drop my friggin boots! >.<
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Black Temple