How do you tank mana snakes before curator?

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

How do you tank mana snakes before curator?

Postby gudea » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:58 am

Ok, since I wiped 2 times in 2 kara a raid there, how do you tank the snakes before Curator and those in library?
I even tried to sawp sun-eater and go SoB, but my result was... poor at last. They are too many, I never end up casting seal a 2nd time, aggro shatters.

How do you do that?
gudea

Postby Kathane » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:29 am

You don't tank them, as they've got no aggro table, and in the case of the ones after curator, are magic-immune.

Pre-Curator wyrms, kill the big guy, AOE the wyrms. Post-curator wyrms, kill the big guy (when applicable) and level up your mage/lock/elemental shammy/spriest's weapon skills.
"What's the kill order?"
"This room, the next room, the hallway, and then the boss."
*throws shield*

Kathane

Postby solina » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:50 am

Pre: Feral picks up big guy. I cons the worms and put up ret aura and a Seal o Wis. DPS kills worms, then big guy. We usually lose 1 healer per pull, but we never wipe.. it depends on how many blinks the big guy does and whether I have the mana to taunt him when the feral's growl is on CD. Each blink is an aggro wipe, and there's usually a HoT ticking somewhere that gives the healers aggro.

Post: Feral picks them up. I run around twacking with SoB. Just like the skellies in Jandice's room (if you remember back to strat) they are completely magic immune. Just protect the healers.
solina

Postby Base » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:53 am

Kathane wrote:You don't tank them, as they've got no aggro table, and in the case of the ones after curator, are magic-immune.

Pre-Curator wyrms, kill the big guy, AOE the wyrms. Post-curator wyrms, kill the big guy (when applicable) and level up your mage/lock/elemental shammy/spriest's weapon skills.

The pre-curator worms are tankable. Just drop a consecrate as you run back into the room before curator and they should stick to you till they are nuked down. Sucks for your mana - but at least they're not hitting a priest.
Base

Postby Makaijin » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:28 am

The Pre Curator packs, the big guy should be killed first by all of your non AoE DPS, while people that can AoE just burn down the small snakes. The snakes are tankable, it's the big guy that causes problems for tankadins. The big guy only casts mana shield after the pull, so your only threat will only come from the initial damage from the pull. Avengers Shield works best here.

Because all of our threat is directly connected to our holy damage, absorbed damage actually doesn't cause any threat. Same applies to all DPS classes. The only way to cause threat is from abilites with innate threat (such as sunder armour) and other non damage based threat such as healing. Because of this, the healer will nearly always end up pulling aggro, especially after he blinks as it seems to be an aggro drop (or reset), and after the threat drop the only people building up threat will be healers, hench why they always get aggro after they blink.
Makaijin

Postby Frickit » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:53 am

they can be tanked but for us the mana drain will probably get at least one healer killed. So I start the pull get as much on the wyrms as possible while an offtank takes the big guy.

OR

We can tank them all just fine with someone spamming dispel so we dont get mana drained. My girlfriend's priest is the only person who has successfully done this for me so dont count on anyone who doesnt care about you to come through...retards...but its really easy actually.
Frickit

Postby BubbaBill » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:40 am

The following has worked for us the last few times I've been in there solo tanking without any wipes. Note-Requires other classes with Taunt ability but they don't have to be tanks he doesn't hit very hard on anysort of plate or even bear leather.

Pull with Shield on the big guy. Should be enough threat to hold him till the first teleport. Drop consecrate then start spamming cleanse on yourself. Drop a second consecrate....then your OOM and just swing like a gimped warrior. AoEers AoE till the worms are down. Single target DPS go for the big guy. Once he teleports our Fury warrior taunts him and starts stacking Sunders on him to hold him. If he's still alive for a second teleport our Ret pally taunts him, if he's still alive after that...your DPS is sleeping. As I said the key here is to just keep him off the healers. Any plate can soak up the damage. Have also had some luck with a pally tank picking him up after the jump and a hunter misdirecting him back to me after the jump.

As for the worms AFTER curator. There is no way you are going to hold them. Have all casters go after the Bot. All melee after the worms and tell any mellee DPS to try and hold threat on their worm to keep it from the healers. One healer should be concentrating on you with the bot. And one healer assigned to the Mellee DPSers but the worms don't hit that hard. They are tauntable. And probably but not tested can be misdirected to you.
BubbaBill

Postby Makaijin » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:59 pm

The worms after Curator works more like the 3rd boss from MgT. They just like to change targets every so often. One good thing about them is they are in fact tauntable, so if they start going for your healers you can hit that RD button. But to be quite frank they don't hit hard at all, it's their mana burn ability that makes them dangerous to have around.
Makaijin

Re: How do you tank mana snakes before curator?

Postby duruk » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:02 am

gudea wrote:Ok, since I wiped 2 times in 2 kara a raid there, how do you tank the snakes before Curator and those in library?
I even tried to sawp sun-eater and go SoB, but my result was... poor at last. They are too many, I never end up casting seal a 2nd time, aggro shatters.

How do you do that?

Those in the library is pretty easy if you got a dps warrior, rogue and hunter (in any combination, but you'll need 3 melee physical dps).

Just have them tank one each, the wyrms don't hit hard. And by having one on each, they'll keep them off the healers. I think they have an aggro table, it's just very hard for anyone who's not doing a lot of melee dmg to stay on top. It might reset often tho...
Duruk, EU-Khadgar - Lvl85 Paladin Tank.
duruk

Postby ShaiHulud » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:49 am

I have the feral druid/warrior pick up the big guy I drop a cons in the doorway and LOS and then pop HS/Cons and that usually give enough threat for the mages/locks/dps to kill them without pulling aggro.
^The new WoTLK Main
^Old TBC main
ShaiHulud

Postby Uriell » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:59 am

Just blow the mana you can untill they have drained you completely.

I usaly have another tank to grab the big guy so the dps can go full out.
C'mon baby, i got blessing of protection!
Uriell

Postby Frickit » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:09 am

Uriell wrote:Just blow the mana you can untill they have drained you completely.

I usaly have another tank to grab the big guy so the dps can go full out.

This. But if you solo tanking have someone spam dispels on you. Or use an offspec offtank.
Frickit

Postby athom » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:56 pm

Pre-Curator - any warrior available picks big guy, i lay concecrate, they come to me, start mana drain, Arcane Torrent ftw.../gogo mages...

Past-Curator - big guy is mine, mellee care about small shits, i just taunt from squishies...
athom

Postby Audrie » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:41 pm

I had problems with this last night too. Admittedly it was my first Kara run on my prot pally, but it just had me baffled.

I pulled with Avenger's Shield and ran back in, dropping a Consecrate in the hallway and using HS to try and tank them - they just went crazy, I think I held most of the little wyrms, but the big guy? Not a chance.

I didn't really realise/think about his aggro dump, I was too busy worrying that I had screwed up and everyone was thinking I was useless!

This thread was a little comforting :).

Anyway, we ended up having a warrior on the big guy and me on the little guys. The mana leech is just horrible, though.
Never chase a Pally out a window...
Audrie

Postby Voxe » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:52 am

What I usually do is pull the big on using my Frisbee (if it crits, it brings the big 'un down below 20% of his life, Hammer territory) drop a consecration and ask the raid to stand in the consecration range.

Kill the small ones first and then the big one.

At a certain point he will blink away and takea few seconds to reacquire a target (usually a healer), wait for him to re-acquire and Assist --> Taunt him back to you.
It's usually the blink causing him to run rampant through the raid killing everyone, time the taunt right and you'll be ok.

The Mana drain the worms do is a magice effect. so wehn consecration is up, just spam Cleanse on yourself
Voxe

Next

Return to Karazhan