A victory for Side tanks

Kalecgos, Brutallus, Felmyst, M'uru, Entropius, Kil'jaeden

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

A victory for Side tanks

Postby Zx » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:41 am

So last night my guild was pounding our collective face against the walls in M'uru's room. I had been tanking the void spawns and doing just fine with that job. One of the side tanks(warrior) could not for the life of him keep aggro on one of their mobs.

They were using a super complicated strat that involved having a hunter pet in FR gear tank the mage and having one of our mages sheep the other bezerker. So I piped up in the tank channel and said hey let me do it. Our RL who is also the guild master and MT shot me down saying that I needed to have 85% avoidance to tank the sides and some other BS about how I would die. I told him of the conversations on this forum and said that my stats were commensurate with just about anyone else on here who is in sunwell.

He says, "fine, prove it" so I jump all over that opportunity and we pull in one of the holy pallies who has a good set of prot gear and SR to respec and tank void spawns. I proceed to tank the near side for 5-6 attempts until we had finished for the night. Almst always having extra time (7-10 seconds) between the waves on my side with only 3 hunters and a warrior for dps.
"For no man lives long when his dreams are dead." - Gene Wolfe
User avatar
Zx
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:47 am
Location: Doing rocket surgery

Postby guillex » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:47 am

Did you make your RL eat his SILLY MARIACHI HAT?????
Póg mo thóin
Image
User avatar
guillex
Moderator
 
Posts: 7490
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:32 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Postby Zx » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:18 am

ya basically.
"For no man lives long when his dreams are dead." - Gene Wolfe
User avatar
Zx
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:47 am
Location: Doing rocket surgery

Postby Worldie » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:19 am

Good to hear :)

Tbh, i still have to convince a couple of my holy paladins to spec some silly build with imp RF and possibly spell warding for tanking the spawns.
I'm planning to tank the sides and Entropius, and our DPS are very happy with that since they know my threat is "just a lil higher" than the warrior's. Wts 40/21
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
User avatar
Worldie
Global Mod
 
Posts: 13437
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Italy

Postby PsiVen » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:46 am

Our druid tried the whole 85% avoidance thing one night, hasn't since. I think he got tired of being crit :)

Having a pet tank the mage isn't a bad idea though, if you have a mage spellstealing him for DPS. I guess it depends on whether it's easier to heal you and a pet, or just you.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
User avatar
PsiVen
Moderator
 
Posts: 4364
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:28 pm
Location: On a Boat

Postby Cakes » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:07 am

Worldie wrote:I'm planning to tank the sides and Entropius, and our DPS are very happy with that since they know my threat is "just a lil higher" than the warrior's. Wts 40/21


Heh, good luck on your transitions to p2. Most guilds transition on an odd number of sentinels (7,9,11) because it frees up the sentinel tank to move over and pick up Entropius. Also, having Devo and AD are really nice as the adds can truck a tank in a few seconds and any bit of mitigation helps.
Cakes
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:14 pm

Postby Zx » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:08 am

The pet was tanking when the warrior was in there.

Once I came and did side tanks we just burn the mage and use intimidations and HoJ on the bezerkers when they're in flurry.

Super easy and quite impossible to lose aggro if ppl are targeting the right thing.
"For no man lives long when his dreams are dead." - Gene Wolfe
User avatar
Zx
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:47 am
Location: Doing rocket surgery

Postby PsiVen » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:20 am

Cakes wrote:
Worldie wrote:I'm planning to tank the sides and Entropius, and our DPS are very happy with that since they know my threat is "just a lil higher" than the warrior's. Wts 40/21


Heh, good luck on your transitions to p2. Most guilds transition on an odd number of sentinels (7,9,11) because it frees up the sentinel tank to move over and pick up Entropius. Also, having Devo and AD are really nice as the adds can truck a tank in a few seconds and any bit of mitigation helps.


Sentinel tank can intervene and taunt the side to free up that tank instead. The real issue is that Ardent Defender is huge on this fight. With only 2-2.5 healers on you even with high avoidance there will be times when your health dips very low due to unstunned flurries and bad dodge streaks. Even with AD and Commendation I've died a couple times almost instantly.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
User avatar
PsiVen
Moderator
 
Posts: 4364
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:28 pm
Location: On a Boat

Postby Cakes » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:53 am

PsiVen wrote:Sentinel tank can intervene and taunt the side to free up that tank instead. The real issue is that Ardent Defender is huge on this fight. With only 2-2.5 healers on you even with high avoidance there will be times when your health dips very low due to unstunned flurries and bad dodge streaks. Even with AD and Commendation I've died a couple times almost instantly.


I suppose so, hadn't really thought of that. AD is pretty huge on this fight, but I don't run with a Commendation on despite its benefits. We leave melee on Muru until maybe 5 seconds to darkness, so there's a lot of time in the first wave that I'm relying on trinkets to save me during flurries rather than stuns from melee and interrupts on the caster. The rest of the waves don't seem to be a problem on my side and I rarely get gibbed anymore unless my healer is asleep.
Cakes
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:14 pm

Postby Zx » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:08 pm

AD + commendation is a huge avoidance/mitigation boost tho since they work hand in hand at the same percent health. Plenty of saves with that combo.
"For no man lives long when his dreams are dead." - Gene Wolfe
User avatar
Zx
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:47 am
Location: Doing rocket surgery

Postby Worldie » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:13 pm

PsiVen wrote:
Cakes wrote:
Worldie wrote:I'm planning to tank the sides and Entropius, and our DPS are very happy with that since they know my threat is "just a lil higher" than the warrior's. Wts 40/21


Heh, good luck on your transitions to p2. Most guilds transition on an odd number of sentinels (7,9,11) because it frees up the sentinel tank to move over and pick up Entropius. Also, having Devo and AD are really nice as the adds can truck a tank in a few seconds and any bit of mitigation helps.


Sentinel tank can intervene and taunt the side to free up that tank instead. The real issue is that Ardent Defender is huge on this fight. With only 2-2.5 healers on you even with high avoidance there will be times when your health dips very low due to unstunned flurries and bad dodge streaks. Even with AD and Commendation I've died a couple times almost instantly.

Noone said i can't respec to 46/15 :P
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
User avatar
Worldie
Global Mod
 
Posts: 13437
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Italy

Postby Stings » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:46 pm

Worldie wrote:
PsiVen wrote:
Cakes wrote:
Worldie wrote:I'm planning to tank the sides and Entropius, and our DPS are very happy with that since they know my threat is "just a lil higher" than the warrior's. Wts 40/21


Heh, good luck on your transitions to p2. Most guilds transition on an odd number of sentinels (7,9,11) because it frees up the sentinel tank to move over and pick up Entropius. Also, having Devo and AD are really nice as the adds can truck a tank in a few seconds and any bit of mitigation helps.


Sentinel tank can intervene and taunt the side to free up that tank instead. The real issue is that Ardent Defender is huge on this fight. With only 2-2.5 healers on you even with high avoidance there will be times when your health dips very low due to unstunned flurries and bad dodge streaks. Even with AD and Commendation I've died a couple times almost instantly.

Noone said i can't respec to 46/15 :P

Tankadin told me AD saved my ass 28 times after an evening of M'uru wiping. I'd say its worth every penny that fight as side tank :>
If you save AW for the last pack and have 2 rogues on your side, then its possible to rape those 3 adds before entropius is out.
My sig holds the proof :P
User avatar
Stings
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:43 am

Postby Elsie » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:48 pm

I'm planning to tank the sides and Entropius, and our DPS are very happy with that since they know my threat is "just a lil higher" than the warrior's. Wts 40/21

Is your threat higher while kiting out of consecrate? ^.~ Phase 2 is a lot of movement.
User avatar
Elsie
 
Posts: 3819
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:12 pm

Postby Worldie » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:26 pm

Elsie wrote:
I'm planning to tank the sides and Entropius, and our DPS are very happy with that since they know my threat is "just a lil higher" than the warrior's. Wts 40/21

Is your threat higher while kiting out of consecrate? ^.~ Phase 2 is a lot of movement.

It is ;)
SA and Crusade happens to affect SoR, JoR, Holy Shield and Exorcism as well :) Consecration is only ~350 TPS loss, i can make up that with wings + destru + spelldam trinket if needed.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
User avatar
Worldie
Global Mod
 
Posts: 13437
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Italy

Postby DJSticky » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:55 pm

I'm starting to think I"m a black sheep and I am either very lucky or my healers are beastly.

We use 1 shammy or druid full time on me, and a shammy healing people in range of door 1. so 1 1/2 healers on me. I always use 0/40/21, about 20k health and ~78% avoidance raid buffed. Pocketwatch + SMI for trinks. I'm not saying I've never been bursted on a door, but me dying to a burst only accounts to about 1 wipe out of 40+ attempts.

Not saying any one is wrong or my way is better, just saying it works for me and my healers have no problems healing me, I also take significantly less damage then any of our other tanks who have done a door.
Image
DJSticky
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:09 am

Next

Return to Sunwell Plateau

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Who is online

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests