Remove Advertisements

How do you start MT Kara, and can we OT it?

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

How do you start MT Kara, and can we OT it?

Postby icemanjmw » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:03 pm

Okay so here's a problem I just thought of the other day, of course I might be totally off that's why I come to the experts.

When I hit 70 I plan to have some pretty good gear (some BS items already waiting for me in bank, plus instance drops, etc.) but I will still be borderline Kara ready. I think I may be able to MT the first couple bosses but none of the later ones. Of course I have also heard Pallys make lousy OT because if you're not getting hit you generate no threat.

So, how should I approach this, just keep running heroics and earning badges so I can get better geared before even going into Kara?
icemanjmw

Postby rabbel » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:43 pm

Well, you still generate Threat while not being hit, but less than usual. You'll also have a hard time regenerating mana, no damage income = no heals = no mana from spiritual attunement. We can offtank, but are much less effective on bosses like Moroes or Gruul than a druid-offtank.

For your equipment: Heroics are fine, but there is still some great stuff in the nonheroics out there, which should be fine for the first few kara bosses. When you get more and more badges and other loot from them, you can move on to the higher levels of the tower...
rabbel

Postby Mordinm » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:42 am

Which boss were you worried about? Mores is the second boss, you should be able to MT him if you can MT anything. The Opera Event, if it requires off tanking, will have mobs hitting you. On netherspite threat isn't an issue. Curator doesn't require an off tank at all and if you do have one you don't need much threat, just high stam. Kil'rek can be tanked by warlocks so it's not a big deal.
Mordinm

Postby Amirya » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:41 pm

>.> You could be like the paladin off tank in Kara last night, when I maged it.

He wound up as MT while our warrior MT got bored and started dancing with our resto druid.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby ldeboer » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:12 pm

Why do you think you will not be taking damage as an OT?

It will go like this the pack mob pulls you will have generally half the adds typically there are 3 or 4, 5. You will have 1 or 2 generally MT will pull hit one with excorcism and judge seal on another then tank.

There are probably a few exceptions

Trash around moroes:
They are sometimes singles and some aoe mobs ... the aoe mobs will be yours you can go afk for the singles.

Broken stairs going up to curator:
You can go afk put yourself on follow to a healer or else go ahead and grab next one if you are chain pulling.

BOSSES:

ATTUNEMEN:
Usually you will tank midnight the MT will grab attunemen and tank them together.

MOROES:
You will tank all or most of the adds.

MAIDEN:
You will be on cleanse duty keeping BOSAC on MT so you dont get repentance.

CURATOR:
You will probably be tanking and MT will be flare tank

ILLHOOF:
You will be either tanking or dealing with Kilrog and AOE on all the imps so the warlocks can seed.

ARAN:
No tank

NIGHTBANE:
You will be tanking skeletons during air phase

NETHERSPITE:
You will be tanking 1 of the phases

PRINCE:
You will be off healing and trying to not fall asleep

Edit: awww my sig died :(
ldeboer

Postby Thenin » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:44 am

ldeboer wrote:PRINCE:
You will be off healing and trying to not fall asleep

LOL - oh so true. I just started Kara recently and yeah, if we aren't the MT Prince is booooooooooooooor-ing.
Thenin

Postby Peadro » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:35 pm

i OT today and pretty much my OTing is like this

MT: everyone ready?
everyone: yep
MT: ok peadro run in there and round em up
MT: /twiddles fingers
dps: what was that freaking kill order again? screw it just get one
mobs: OH NOES!
MT: oh that was easy i like this main tanking thing
Peadro

Postby Falkman » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:46 am

So you maintanked then Peadro :P
Boot that "main tank" if he doesn't do anything useful (I have my warrior tank buddy suit up his dps gear on our Kara runs).
Barbossa, lvl 80 human tankadin
Jazine, lvl 80 draenei shaman
Ywaine, lvl 80 draenei death knight
Falkman

Postby Katerina » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:56 am

Falkman wrote:So you maintanked then Peadro :P
Boot that "main tank" if he doesn't do anything useful (I have my warrior tank buddy suit up his dps gear on our Kara runs).

This. LOL
Katerina

Postby Ana » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:45 am

Too true, however my usual OT is a druid, so he doesn't mind going kitty.
Anathematic / Megalomania / Tohuvabohu / Surrealistic
Ana

Postby Voxe » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:21 am

Ana wrote:

Too true, however my usual OT is a druid, so he doesn't mind going kitty.

Lol, I've learned it's not all that natural. I've been in discussions about a Feral tank not wanting to go kitty
Voxe

Return to Karazhan