Remove Advertisements

Shadow Resist in Hyjal

Winterchill, Anetheron, Kaz'rogal, Azgalor, Archimonde

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Shadow Resist in Hyjal

Postby Holyfuri » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:32 pm

I was debating on using my outfitter to switch to either a partial shadow resist or full shadow resist set for the heavy necro waves and just tanking everything. I was wondering how feasible that is and if anyone has approached it that way before.

I recently got my shadow resist set completed which is what prompted this line of thinking.
Holyfuri

Re: Shadow Resist in Hyjal

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:08 pm

Holyfuri wrote:I was debating on using my outfitter to switch to either a partial shadow resist or full shadow resist set for the heavy necro waves and just tanking everything. I was wondering how feasible that is and if anyone has approached it that way before.

I recently got my shadow resist set completed which is what prompted this line of thinking.

The necro's are CCable, so I'd think the risk you'd take by losing a lot of physical mitigation is probably not worth it.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Holyfuri » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:14 pm

I am aware they are cc-able. I have cleared hyjal multiple times. I was only mentioning it for a couple of reasons.

1. Even though it's not that tough in the first place to cc them, it would be easier to just tank them all, from an overall perspective.

2. The more mobs that are in the aoe pile, the more effective your dps is and the quicker everything goes down.

These are obviously the same reasons why we aoe what we do, I was just wondering if anyone had done this and tested how well it works. I am overgeared for hyjal trash as it is, and I can easily switch between setups for a boss, or non-necro heavy wave. This would probably be most useful for the 6 necro/6 banshee wave, and similar high # of necro waves, not as a standard set for all of the trash.
Holyfuri

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:22 pm

Holyfuri wrote:I am aware they are cc-able. I have cleared hyjal multiple times. I was only mentioning it for a couple of reasons.

1. Even though it's not that tough in the first place to cc them, it would be easier to just tank them all, from an overall perspective.

2. The more mobs that are in the aoe pile, the more effective your dps is and the quicker everything goes down.

These are obviously the same reasons why we aoe what we do, I was just wondering if anyone had done this and tested how well it works. I am overgeared for hyjal trash as it is, and I can easily switch between setups for a boss, or non-necro heavy wave. This would probably be most useful for the 6 necro/6 banshee wave, and similar high # of necro waves, not as a standard set for all of the trash.

If you are able to eat the damage, and your melee stops them from summoning the skeleton things, then it should work. Your overall threat will likely be way lower though, and that along with the other difficulties may make it slower.

It's probably one of those things that you'll have to experiment with to get it just right.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:54 pm

It's not worth the threat loss, and you'll be squishy for those abominations.

It's better to just stick to melee and have the other tanks do the necros
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Seloei » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:15 am

Theres only one total wave where a full/partial shadow res would be beneficial on the trash. Elsewhere, it's not worth it. If your worried about the bolts, then either let the NPC's take the initial blow or have the warrior spell reflect.
Competent warriors can do it, lazy arses can't.
Not to mention that if he does spellreflect em, most if not all will have a quite high +threat on him meaning no healer will get targeted for a bolt.
Seloei

Postby Holyfuri » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:28 am

Seloei wrote:Theres only one total wave where a full/partial shadow res would be beneficial on the trash. Elsewhere, it's not worth it. If your worried about the bolts, then either let the NPC's take the initial blow or have the warrior spell reflect.
Competent warriors can do it, lazy arses can't.
Not to mention that if he does spellreflect em, most if not all will have a quite high +threat on him meaning no healer will get targeted for a bolt.

After running Hyjal again last night I did realize this. The only wave where it would prove useful is the wave with 6 necros/6 banshees.

We usually keep a fel hound banished and kite the tauren warriors up to stun all the casters, works wonders throughout the wave.

We sometimes don't have a warrior in the raid at all to be honest, it isn't uncommon for us so I was thinking of ways other than using a warrior. I had already known about a warrior spell reflecting the casters right off the bad, but failed to mention in my OP that we don't have a warrior in the raid about 50% of the time.

I think I am just going to keep my shadow resist gear ready and switch to it if needed for that one wave. (i.e. if no warrior in raid and the kiting doesn't work out)
Holyfuri

Postby Playdoh » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:26 am

actually having rogues tank the casters works well too.

Usually we have it set up to where either a rogue or a shaman actually picks up one or 2 of the human casters and still dps's them near me so if the summon the skeles, I get the aggro.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby superworm » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:47 pm

Holyfuri wrote:I am aware they are cc-able. I have cleared hyjal multiple times. I was only mentioning it for a couple of reasons.

I have a set of shadow resist for Mount Hyjal, and use it for felhound/inferno and banshee/necro waves. Those felhound mana burns are quite annoying so I wear SR gears. For the 6 banshees/necros wave I just run to the very front (away from the raid) and turn on Holy Shield, then they will close in on me, making it quite easy to AoE all of them down (remember to warn your raid to wait for your HS ending, with high SR a health stone should keep you up until your raid runs in to heal you).
superworm

Postby caboom » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:48 am

the 1st time i was there i had a warrior spell reflecting every spell they would cast sitting one step in front of me, till the mages would go in an cc the necros, this way he will take all the spells and stay in my consacrate so the melees would run to me instead of him, worked absolute wonders, it could work with a bear aswell(more hp) or even another paladin maybe bubbling before they end the cast(MgT - Kael - pyro style), with spell reflect the mages would agro him but that wouldn't matter anyways cuz those mobs should be ccd.

If it's just you and u have no other tanks available, or u wanna do it alone then, drop a consacrate on the path as the melees get close and run behind the pillar to ur left or right to create a los situation, ofc everyone in the raid should stop w/e they are doing till the mob run trough ur consacrate.
caboom

Postby MichaelBerea » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:41 am

According to the Wiki on Shadow Resistance found here you need shadow resistance for Mount Hyjal. Can anyone tell me how or where this is the case? I'd love to know if shadow resist gear is important before Mother Shahraz. We have been doing Mount Hyjal for a while and have a pile of Hearts of Darkness in the bank.

Thanks!
MichaelBerea

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:46 am

Shadow Resist on healers makes Anetheron easier
Shadow resist on mana users makes Kaz'rogal easier.
Shadow Resist on specific waves makes trash easier(never missed this one)
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Return to Mt. Hyjal