Remove Advertisements

Stats for tanking Kara solo

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Stats for tanking Kara solo

Postby Ratly » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:16 am

I was just wondering what are good stats for attempting to solo tank Kara for the most part? The warrior in the group that I usually go with doesn't really like tanking so much and has expressed interest in mainly doing damage rather then tanking. Normally when we do runs I'm usually tanking the majority of the group and he'll usually pick up one.

On boss fights I'll normally tank except for Attu, Moroes, and opera. We usually split the duties. Is it possible for me to solo tank these events? I've never tanked both Attu and Midnight, however on Moroes I have tanked 3 of the adds including Moroes when I went over the warrior's threat and wound up tanking Moroes for the rest of the fight. I suggested once in my guild chat that I could probably solo tank Moroes and the adds, however that idea was laughed at and promptly turned down.

I kept hinting that I wanted to try to solo tank Kara as much as possible for a while now. With the warrior expressing interest in not tanking as much, I think I might get at least an attempt at it, so I just want to know if I'd be able to do it. By the way, any suggestions on gear upgrades or changes will also be greatly appreciated.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Vashj&n=Dunal
Ratly

Postby Dendrah » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:26 am

Only one way to find out. Make a deal with the warrior that he will be "slacking" a bit on one of those fights and grab them both.
Dendrah

Postby Dartaghan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:22 pm

I solo tank all of Moroes' adds. I put the warrior off tank on Moroes just so he and i stay first and second on moroes' aggro list. Other than that...tank everything. I usually have the unHoly paladin shackled by a priest. By the time his shackle is down, we have already burned down the shadowpriestess and are working on the other babe.

Just pop wings, toss your avengers shield at them as the priest shackles then have a consecrate at the base of the stairs. easy sauce.

My character is Oxith on dragonmaw PvP server if you wanna see my armory. Alliance, human.
Oxith, Light Bringer of Dragonmaw
Dartaghan

Re: Stats for tanking Kara solo

Postby Andurin » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:20 am

I kept hinting that I wanted to try to solo tank Kara as much as possible for a while now. With the warrior expressing interest in not tanking as much, I think I might get at least an attempt at it, so I just want to know if I'd be able to do it. By the way, any suggestions on gear upgrades or changes will also be greatly appreciated.

Show them some topics here how to solo tank it... They laughed at me first aswell, untill the warrior MT said: "Fuck it, your tanking the adds Andurin, incoming"...

We slaugthered them and havent changed the way of doing moroes ever since :)
Andurin

Should be pretty easy

Postby maulall » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:15 am

My guild is just starting KARA, so I can't comment on anything past Attumen yet, but you can easily solo tank both. You have much better gear than I do (I have about 13k HP, 14.5k armor unbuffed in my tank gear) and I don't have any issues solo tanking both.
maulall

Postby Frickit » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:56 am

If you can maintank kara with an offtank...you can solo tank it. The difficulty lies with your skill level not your gear level.
Frickit

Postby Makaijin » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:07 pm

If both yourself and the healers are in full kara gear, it is enough to solo tank. I did this for a few weeks just before 2.3 was released, so all badge gear were still with 110 ilevel. In this setup you won't be chaining pulling more than 1 trash packs at a time, but the majority of kara will be solo tankable at the mentioned gear level.
Makaijin

Postby gudea » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:20 pm

:O

you trash-pull more than 1 pack (=>5) of mobs??

hmmm.... you do run with 3 healers or 2? hmm... you seems to have about 5% avoid more, and 3k armor. The 3k armor does the difference into surviving the 2 pack pull without much problems?
gudea

Postby Makaijin » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:29 pm

Well yea, I'm in T6 gear now, so chain pulling multiple groups is the only way to keep my mana up without taking off my pants. Plus all the mages and locks love it because they get to spam all the AoE just so they can cheat the damage meters.
Makaijin

Postby caboom » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:20 am

Attumen is so easy tanking them both, that w/o shield up i still don't get mana back(didn't last time on wendsday) and i am just in badge gear some t4 and t5.
About moroes the only thing u would require to have 2 tanks is to have a gourge soaker, i just aoe the adds, i don't even shackle them anymore.
romulo and juliane are just a bit harder than attunesmen and midnight, just make sure u setup a kill order(juliane 1st when tanking them both was it?) and with BBW it's easy.
The rest of the bosses don't rly require an OT, whenever i am short of a pugged OT i ask my resident T6ish fury warrior to tank moroes.
caboom

Postby Makaijin » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:36 am

Julianne should be the first dps target, as for yourself you should just concentrate on building threat on her. Romolo dual wields, so HS and consecrate alone is more than enough to keep up the threat.
Makaijin

Postby uke » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:48 am

<---Ukeiron on bonechewer, if you want to look me up (note, I have my heroics shield on, so my armory shows me as about 1% crushable, rest assured my raid shield puts me over the mark :wink: )

I've been able to solo-tank Kara the past few times we've done it. Only parts of Kara that even require more than one tank is the first half, anyway.

Stats:
~15300hp unbuffed
~16500 armor
50% total avoidance

For Midnight/Attumen, just tank both, still have mana issues so I purposely eat a few crushes

Moroes, tank them all, but keep your back to Moroes to prevent gouges. You'll get crushed by him, but he doesn't hit too hard to be an issue if your healers are good. I just spam consecrate while butt-tanking him, briefly spinning toward him to hit Exorcize/JoR when it's up (keyboard turners need not apply, here).

Maiden - MASH BUTTONS! (I hate this fight, constant silences make me angry)

Usher pulls before Opera can be a pain. Get the PVP trinket....just do it. It's only 8000 honor, and it's nigh impossible to solo-tank all of Kara w/o it. Anyway, using PVP trinket, bubble, and priest shackles on double pulls wins out here.

Nightbane can be a pain, it's a warrior-biased fight to be sure. If you have fear wards, use them. If not, use PVP trinket to break out of fears. You might have to just eat a fear if DPS can't get him down fast enough for one fear per phase.

The rest of Kara is a single-tank run, anyway.
uke

Postby Ghort » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:51 am

uke wrote:<---Ukeiron on bonechewer, if you want to look me up (note, I have my heroics shield on, so my armory shows me as about 1% crushable, rest assured my raid shield puts me over the mark :wink: )

I've been able to solo-tank Kara the past few times we've done it. Only parts of Kara that even require more than one tank is the first half, anyway.

Stats:
~15300hp unbuffed
~16500 armor
50% total avoidance

For Midnight/Attumen, just tank both, still have mana issues so I purposely eat a few crushes

Moroes, tank them all, but keep your back to Moroes to prevent gouges. You'll get crushed by him, but he doesn't hit too hard to be an issue if your healers are good. I just spam consecrate while butt-tanking him, briefly spinning toward him to hit Exorcize/JoR when it's up (keyboard turners need not apply, here).

Maiden - MASH BUTTONS! (I hate this fight, constant silences make me angry)

Usher pulls before Opera can be a pain. Get the PVP trinket....just do it. It's only 8000 honor, and it's nigh impossible to solo-tank all of Kara w/o it. Anyway, using PVP trinket, bubble, and priest shackles on double pulls wins out here.

Nightbane can be a pain, it's a warrior-biased fight to be sure. If you have fear wards, use them. If not, use PVP trinket to break out of fears. You might have to just eat a fear if DPS can't get him down fast enough for one fear per phase.

The rest of Kara is a single-tank run, anyway.

I solo tank kara with 2 healers - if turning your back isnt an option, remember the mobs with him will hit you outta gouge, and any effects like his garotte will do the same.... You can also designate someone to be 2nd on your aggro list, make sure he takes off salv before the fight, or take it off for him with BoSanc, and keep BoSanc up on him at all times. One hit on him and your back in the game. Macro for that is

/target player
/cast Blessing of Sanctuary(rank 1)
/target moroes

I tried the sanc trick on the ushers, that doesnt work, so dont bother with it... hope that helps some
80 Paladin (Prot) - Azual
80 Warrior (Prot/Arms) - Madarab
80 Mage (Arcane/Frost pvp) Arlensul
80 DK (Blood Tank) Deadkitten
80 Priest (holy/disc) - Ghort
5/12 ICC 10

Runetotem Server, Fifth Column
Ghort

Postby Fivelives » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:49 am

Sacrifice, not sanctuary.

On ushers, shackle one and use a free action potion. If you have a shaman in the raid, have them drop a grounding totem in your group - it absorbs ice tomb.
Fivelives

Postby Tyaera » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:45 pm

If you are going to aoe-tank Moroes and his adds, it can be best to kill the melee mobs first. If you get Gouged by Moroes, all four adds will run off too, and its hell to get them back. Clothies can survive getting aggro from one of the caster adds. They can't survive the melee mobs.

Just stick a rogue or something on the shadowpriest add so she doesnt mana burn healers.
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Tyaera

Next

Return to Karazhan