Remove Advertisements

Tempest Keep - High Astromancer Solarian

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tempest Keep - High Astromancer Solarian

Postby Lore » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:50 am

Been meaning to post up one of these as we've been killing her for a few weeks now. This fight is a lot of fun, but not much tanking to it. Here's how we do it:

Trash
Everything in her room needs to be cleared, but guess what? We get to have some fun here! There are two mobs in each pack (the Squires) that need to be picked up and single target tanked, and then 6-8 other mobs (Apprentices or something) that you'll be AOE tanking =) They're easy pulls so long as your AOE gives you a couple seconds to get aggro, so enjoy.

Preparation
Everyone in the raid needs arcane resist gear. Minimum of around 150, though more is good; most of the damage you'll be taking is arcane damage. Arcane Protection potions/cauldrons don't hurt either.

Phase 1
Phase 1 is the hardest part of the encounter, and lasts from 100% to 20% (some people consider the two parts of phase 1 to be separate phases, but they kinda blur together so I group them as one). Solarian stands pretty much still and doesn't move much. She'll be spamming arcane missiles on random targets in the raid for most of the time she's up. Every once in a while she'll throw in a normal melee attack, so it's important to be sure that your tank is above other melees on the threat list. We deal with this just by spamming taunt, though due to the nature of Righteous Defense it doesn't work all that well. Sadly, Warrior and Druid tanks will probably take most of the glory here.

After 50 seconds or so, she does a teleport ability and disappears. Three beams of light will appear around the room. From each beam of light, four nonelite adds (Agents) will spawn. These need to be picked up and AOE tanked. There's two ways to do this. You can try and consecrate tank them all (aggro is a bit funny and they're spread out enough that you'll probably have trouble pulling off of healers) or you can have your Warriors and Druids use an AOE taunt rotation while you get ready for the next part. As soon as those spawn, three more beams of light will appear around the room. From one of these beams, Solarian will appear again. The other two will have Priests that spawn and need to be tanked. More importantly, they also cast pretty big heals that need to be interrupted. We usually have melee run off after one and mages/shaman interrupting the other from range. This is all stuff that has to be picked up on the fly, as there is no indication which beam will spawn what.

While all that's going on, she'll also be using two other abilities. One is a simple debuff ("Mark of Solarian") that reduces your arcane resistance by 15 per stack, up to 10 times, with a new stack added every 45 seconds.

The other ability is Wrath of the Astromancer. This is a very big part of the encounter. It's two debuffs in one. The first is a DoT that deals ~600 arcane damage every 2 seconds for 8 seconds. During that time you'll be glowing blue and sparkling, it's really easy to notice. As soon as the DoT wears off, you get a debuff applied that increases arcane damage you take by 50%, lasts 45 seconds, and stacks if you get hit with the DoT again. The DoT will also jump to the closest person to you as soon as it wears off, can't be outranged or avoided, and doesn't stop until she's dead. If someone dies or goes immune (DS/iceblock) while the DoT is on them, it jumps immediately. She'll generally seed one Wrath into the raid at the start of the fight, and then one more after each teleport.

So long as everyone is wearing Arcane resist gear, it's not too big of a deal to have 3-4 stacks of the Wrath debuff (the +arcane damage taken one); it can be healed through without too much issue. We deal with this through some careful positioning. All the ranged classes group up in the middle of her little platform (on the blue) and bounce the Wrath DoT back and forth to each other (being careful to move around a little every so often so they don't end up just sharing it with one other person). As soon as someone gets 4 debuffs, they make sure the DoT has jumped off of them and run to the outside of her platform (out of the blue), away from everyone else. Melees and tanks will have to stand wherever Solarian stands, so ranged also needs to be careful not to pass it to them, and if any melee gets the DoT they should run back into the ranged group until it jumps off of them.

Generally speaking, your goal should be to get her to phase 2 before there are 5 debuffs on the raid, or things will be pretty hectic and healers will start to get overwhelmed. It's worth noting that there's no real aggro concern for ranged DPS in this fight, so everyone should be blowing everything they can from the start to get her down quickly.

As soon as she hits 20% health, she switches into phase 2.

Phase 2
For reasons beyond my understanding, at this point she turns into a Voidwalker. She also turns into a giant pansy. She'll stop casting the Wrath of the Astromancer and Arcane Missiles at this point, and will need to be tanked. Periodically, she'll cast an AOE fear on some melees, so there should be multiple tanks ready to taunt if the MT gets feared. Existing Wraths will keep bouncing around, so keep up heals and make sure to get out of the blue if you have too many debuffs. Otherwise, the rest of the fight is really easy, so just hit her 'til she stops moving. Getting her to Phase 2 is an almost guaranteed kill.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Daeren » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:12 am

So basically, you wear 150 AR, join the taunt rotation if possible, and try to tank adds when they spawn?

Doesn't exactly look like a pally-friendly fight.
Daeren

Postby dhan619 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:54 am

There are like... 12 adds that spawn periodically and Solarian disappears. This is where your AOE tanking SHINES. I maintained a 150 AR with 400 holy damage gear. The mitigation doesn't have to be too great here. Don't worry about being uncrushable. These mobs hit for like 500-800 each on you... but you can imagine what one healer drawing all of that aggro will do to them ... or even a seed of corrupting warlock.

Have the whole entire raid group together right behind you bodying up together so that all of the adds will be in the line of pathway of your consecration... hold aggro... then have them aoe them down.

Your role is highly valued here.

Clearing the adds torwards Solarian is just as nice for the paladin tank.

It's golden =].
Danielhan
<Grandeur>
Server: Muradin

dhan619

Postby Julian » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:13 pm

Is it plausible to bomb HLs on a lock when adds spawn to group 'em up for Consecrate that way?
Julian

Postby PsiVen » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:15 pm

Julian wrote:Is it plausible to bomb HLs on a lock when adds spawn to group 'em up for Consecrate that way?

You don't need to. With high spell damage you'll get them all right away anyway.

Few things:

I wear 0 AR and about 550 spell damage, and the adds stick to me like glue with no need for taunt rotations. I also have like 14k HP without any special group composition, so I'm never at risk of dying to debuffed arcane missiles.
We use one tank (druid in stamina / AR gear) on Solarian, as far as I can tell spamming taunt isn't necessary.
When the priests come out, we put a rogue on each to interrupt while we assist each down; no tanks required.

Also, 2 prot warriors can stack AR (like 500+) and stand off to the side to soak up all the WoA dots. As soon as someone gets the dot they run right next to one of the tanks and leave when it jumps.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Nich » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:39 pm

With Solarian being changed in 2.2, is there still much benefit from getting lots of AR gear for two sinks, or even 3 or 4 pieces for everyone in the raid?
Nich

Postby PsiVen » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:43 am

Noone knows quite how they're changing Solarian, but from the description, Wrath of the Astromancer (the reason you have 2 AR soaks) is completely changed.

And if they're removing the -AR debuff, I think it's a safe bet that the entire raid will want AR for the new version.
PsiVen

Postby Nich » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:43 am

We had our first shot tonight.

Clearing the trash was a lot easier than friends in other guilds had mentioned.

Astromancer herself?

We have two prot warriors with stupid ammounts of AR on, so that at -150 AR they're still at/above the AR cap.

The rest of the raid has no AR, so we can concentrate on dps/healing stats.

For the most part it goes ok, tho' healers burn lots of mana pots to try and keep up with AM spam, Solarian doing the occasional melee, and the two AR sinks taking a lot of damage with debuff stacks.

My biggest concern is when she summons adds. I can't seem to keep aggro on them - ~520 spell damage, and ~14k hp I think.

If I hit some with AS, then they're mine. If I leave a consecrate just on the raid side of where the portals are, I might get them/some. If I try to dump consecrate closer to the raid, then I've probably lost them. Mages pick up aggro like crazy and all I can' do is taunt a few off at a time. One of the bigger issues is that Prayer of Mending goes off, especially on AR sinks, and I can't compete, threat-wise.

A fellow tankadin on the server mentioned that he drops consecrate between the two closest portals and the raid, and then uses AS on the furthest portal, to tag them all. I can't seem to get anything of the like working.

Even when the dps and prot warriors who are in the main body of the raid don't seem able to tag properly with a thunderclap as they spawn :\

Is it a case of eliminating PoM near the add spawns, and having the raid group up even tighter so I can catch the adds properly?
Nich

Postby Chorus » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:34 pm

Nich wrote:We had our first shot tonight.

Clearing the trash was a lot easier than friends in other guilds had mentioned.

Astromancer herself?

We have two prot warriors with stupid ammounts of AR on, so that at -150 AR they're still at/above the AR cap.

The rest of the raid has no AR, so we can concentrate on dps/healing stats.

For the most part it goes ok, tho' healers burn lots of mana pots to try and keep up with AM spam, Solarian doing the occasional melee, and the two AR sinks taking a lot of damage with debuff stacks.

My biggest concern is when she summons adds. I can't seem to keep aggro on them - ~520 spell damage, and ~14k hp I think.

If I hit some with AS, then they're mine. If I leave a consecrate just on the raid side of where the portals are, I might get them/some. If I try to dump consecrate closer to the raid, then I've probably lost them. Mages pick up aggro like crazy and all I can' do is taunt a few off at a time. One of the bigger issues is that Prayer of Mending goes off, especially on AR sinks, and I can't compete, threat-wise.

A fellow tankadin on the server mentioned that he drops consecrate between the two closest portals and the raid, and then uses AS on the furthest portal, to tag them all. I can't seem to get anything of the like working.

Even when the dps and prot warriors who are in the main body of the raid don't seem able to tag properly with a thunderclap as they spawn :\

Is it a case of eliminating PoM near the add spawns, and having the raid group up even tighter so I can catch the adds properly?

I have noticed this awkward behavior with the Agents as well. When the portals come up, we clump up just to the left of the AR tanks such that the angle they run is very noticable if they are not running towards the main raid force. It isn't solely your responsibility to nab all of the loose ones, other Paladins can taunt, Rogues can run out, aggro and run them back to you, etc.

Holding aggro on them is a challenge. Mostly though I find that people simply need to wait for all of the portal groups to reach you, and for about 3 more seconds after that. The AoE will pull eventually, but the hope is by then anything they have on them is basically dead.

Also, you might find that she melees randomly at times, potentially one-shotting melee with no real way to control it. A Ret Paladin with no Salvation and RF up guarantees who her random melee attacks go to. Ours exceeds 1900 TPS according to Omen on this fight :X
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... w&n=Chorus
Chorus <Dissension>, 80 Paladin of Bleeding Hollow
Chorus

Postby Nich » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:04 am

We managed to down her last night, our second of attempts, so yay for that.

We tried some different things, and ended up settling for the raid staying back on the outside of her platform - cf running in to make aoe and grouping etc easier - to avoid healers being silenced.

Yeah, melee being killed was predictable and annoying, tho' they wanted the same people in as the night before - thus two prot warriors as AR sinks, me vying for add aggro, and a prot warrior on solarian, usually keeping threat with taunt and SS spam.

I spoke further with my friend - he can grab two portals with a consecrate and most of the further one with his AS; when they hit him, they stick, thus no mages are ever in fear of dying, etc.

I still had the same problems with adds tho'. The only ones I can really hold are the ones that AS hits. Then taunt every 10 seconds, bop a mage who's about to die, etc. Consecrate on the portal won't help. Consecrate between the raid and portals (closer to the portals) doesn't help. Consecrate between the raid and portals (closer to the raid) doesn't help. I mean, I know a prot tank on the boss rather than a bear druid in cat gear doesnt help, but he can effectively scrape through doing his job.

With (both) mages doing nova rotations, and melee helping kill the adds, my biggest contribution to the encounter seems to be keeping JoW up for the hunter to unload :<
Nich

Postby Okita » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:40 am

Speaking of Solarian, PTR 2.2 says they are changing her debuff and changing the mechanics of the fight. Anyone know how this boss will be strategized once the 2.2 patch hits?

My guild is apparently paranoid on spending the gold on arcane resistance gear...
Okita

Postby Agriash » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:17 pm

I know they're changing Solarian in the next patch, but my guild is set on trying to kill Kael'Thas before the patch even though he's being toned down too I think?

Anyway, I have major trouble picking up the adds as well, I've even tried just full healing gear and started healing the locks life tapping on top of having consecration right on the spot lights. Adds hit with AS are mine, but even having consc tick a few times before aoe time, they walk straight toward the mages specifically, and eventually end up messing up the warlocks. I've found no real solution to this except the usual bop/taunt. Maybe it's best to have the tanks aoe taunt from now on. The add's aggro are definitely out of the norm, definitely with some sort of fixate.

Imo, it's better just to wear your healing gear and help the raid heal with RF on and dropping consc/AS whenever you can. They hit me for 400ish in healing gear while I spam heals on myself anyway. Other than that I have no clue as to how else to actually tank adds minus aoe taunt rotation unless someone else has a successful and better idea. :?
Agriash - 70 Paladin - Cenarius
Agriash

Postby PsiVen » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:42 pm

Also, you might find that she melees randomly at times, potentially one-shotting melee with no real way to control it. A Ret Paladin with no Salvation and RF up guarantees who her random melee attacks go to. Ours exceeds 1900 TPS according to Omen on this fight :X

This isn't Aran, you're expected to have a tank on her. I guess a ret pally works just dandy though :)

Speaking of Solarian, PTR 2.2 says they are changing her debuff and changing the mechanics of the fight. Anyone know how this boss will be strategized once the 2.2 patch hits?

My guild is apparently paranoid on spending the gold on arcane resistance gear...

Again, nobody knows how exactly her abilities changed. These two details are clear from the wording of the patch notes:
- Arcane resist is -more- important on the raid, not less.
- You won't have 2 people wearing 500+ AR.
I'd imagine you can count on the voidwalker phase getting harder as well.

I'm not sure where the problems picking up adds are coming from. Is your raid all standing on one spot for you to consecrate around? I've not had issues with this, apart from mana troubles when tanking solarian at the same time.
PsiVen

Postby rozakk » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:06 pm

it may be a spell damage issue. When i had 530 spell dmg i had to have the raid wait a 5-6 seconds or so befor starting, with avenging wrath up they could get started pretty much right off the start. I'm still trying to figure out a way to get aggro faster, for people whove done it successfully did you have a shaman with wrath of air or anything else like that? so far when i have to have them wait that long to start ae dmg we lose valuable time on solarian and are only getting her to 35%ish before the arcane debuff stacks way too much
rozakk

Postby Cakes » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:08 am

Focus more on killing adds and less on how many adds you have stuck to you. More than likely, you're not going to be tanking them all. Your aoe should be perfectly capable of going all out and killing the adds quickly enough that maybe only a few are left when priests pop up. The fight rests more on quick healers than anything else, so have you healers ready to heal their favorite lock or bop that overzealous mage.
Cakes

Return to Tempest Keep