Remove Advertisements

Flames of Azzinoth - My perspective.

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Flames of Azzinoth - My perspective.

Postby mirkodeluxe » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:25 am

This may be redundant information and if you find it to be as such you are welcome to delete this post.

Since we had our first Illidan takedown yesterday, on our night off due to us wanting to kill him before reset and holidays kicking in, I wanted to share some information that I had trouble finding for tanking the flames as tankadin.

My gear setup was:

Battleworn Tuskguard +20FR, 1 SSE, 1 Enduring Talasite, 1 Regal Nightseye
Pendant of Titans
Pauldrons of Stone Resolve +7 Resist all & 2 Steady Talasite
Wyrmcultist's Cloak +15 FR
Inferno Tempered Chestguard +10 Stamina
Flamebane bracers +4 Resist all and +12 Def enchant
Inferno Tempered Gauntlets +10 STA
Belt of the guardian x2 SSE(12STA)
Inferno Tempered Leggings Clefthide Leg armor (30 STA,10 AGI)
Inferno Tempered boots +10 STA
Band of the eternal defender
Ring of sundered souls
Adamantite figurine
Commendation of Kael'thas
Libram of Divine Purpose
Merciless Gladiator's Barrier +18 STA
Gladiator's Gavel +40 Spelldmg

This gave me the following unbuffed stats:

298 Fire resistance
452 Defense rating (4,08% Crit reduction)
53 Resilience (1,34% Crit reduction)
13657 Unbuffed health
298 Spelldmg
35,52% avoidance (Dodge+Parry+Miss)

With flask, foodbuff, Imp spirit, kings, Fortitude, MotW & Wizard oil I ended
up just over 5,6% crit reduction (thats what 490 Defense gives), 352 Spelldmg,
17K health (without commanding shout) and 368 Fire resistance with the aura on.

With these stats I didnt have any problems tanking my flame, the times I
died it was pretty much from 90% health down to 0 in 1 second and no
amount of health will save you from an enrage if someone is out of range..

I tank like this:
Spelldetails set to about 50% to be able to see blazes and eyebeam trails more easily.

When Illidan hits 65% and goes airborne I run over to where my flame spawns.

To avoid an unlucky string of misses and resists I put down a consecration at the spawn point
and either pop wings or toss the shield at the flame from where I want to start tanking the flame.
With consecration up I should have initial aggro and with DPS aware that my initial aggro is limited
I should have aggro even if both AS and Exorcism misses/is resisted. I usually have a SoR
up so that I can judge as a last resort. If I dont get misses/resists I judge crusader as fast
as I can and start kiting.
I try to move as little as possible when the Blazes spawn and I keep an eye on my health
constantly to see whether the healers are keeping up - if they are I can usually stand in a blaze
for an extra second or so, this giving me more room to kite should an eyebeam hit my side.
If I start taking too much damage at this point I can use an HS and start kiting further away.

Note that Commendation of Kael'thas works here since the Flames do melee attacks,
even though their damage is fire based. Of course, it will not proc if go below 35% while standing in a blaze.

The tanking/kiting is hard to explain, but the goal here is to wait until the flame does his fire breath,
wait for the blaze to spawn and then move as little as possible and still get out of the blaze to give you as much
room to move later should you need to move away from an eyebeam.
ALWAYS keep track of your health, it can go down quickly.
ALWAYS be wary of your distance to the spawnpoint(the blade), if you are more than 25 yards away
it will enrage and will probably 1-shot you.
STAY ALIVE - your dps should adjust to your threat output, not the other way around. You should ofc focus on maxing your threat,
but its more important to stay alive since tankdeath spells instant wipe in this phase.

Practice makes perfect, and more health really helps.
My recommendation is to get capped Fire resistance AND as close to
uncrittable as you possibly can - Ive taken 12K crits when I tried as crittable to max my health and I died from that.
Its better to get the right stats with a bit lower health than gambling. :)

I will be adding and fixing this post for a bit, but now I need lunch.
mirkodeluxe

Postby Seloei » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:44 am

Real nice post but errr... your gearset has almost no resilience on it and hence low health :(

My fire res set

14.5k health due to using resilience items and having more room elsewhere to slap on +health/stamina instead of resilience/defense. Upgrades i could see to that set : t6 shoulders, Bloodboil belt, ros neck and maybe akama shoulders.

Otherwise, thanks for the nice post and strat. 2 month raidbreak so no chance of seeing him until autumn :(
Seloei

Postby mirkodeluxe » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:44 am

Youre welcome, I wanted to post the information that I couldnt find when
gearing up to tank these bastards. It turns out that even with low health you
can tank these successfully if you just get FR and Crit capped.

I know Im low on resilience, I came into the T6 race rather late due to a
guildswitch and Ive been grinding like hell (~500 badges] to catch up and be
able to tank MH/BT. There just isnt enough days in the week to grind
everything.

I intend to get Timelapse Shard Asap though.
mirkodeluxe

Postby Base » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:03 am

I find that by using a flask of chromatic wonder I can afford to wear another piece of proper tanking gear which more than makes up for the extra defence/hp in the flask of fort.
Base

Postby moduspwnens » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:45 am

I recommend the new Glyph of the Gladiator for dedicated resist set helms.

I don't have a dedicated resist set helm, though. I also recommend the Signet of Eternal Life over your Hyjal ring. It's way better for this kind of situation.

http://www.warcrafter.net/sandbox/29422 ... 1X1e1k1o26

Warcrafter adds up the FR incorrectly, but I have 362 FR buffed, and uncrittable with 18.3k HP (assuming no group-specific buffs).
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Devotions » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:11 am

what exactly does resiliance do for a resistance set?? we are starting to get close to illidan and i am one of 3 people with a fire resist set. so i need to start getting a resistance set together now. i thought if i just capped fr i would be good but it seems its more in depth then just that.

Skinning a bear should aggro every bears in a 40yd radius
Devotions

Postby Worldie » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:42 am

Simply helps to cap the crit immunity since point per point, resilience gives more crit reduction than defense
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby towelliee » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:46 am

I have:

Badges:

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=30769 : Thinking +15 resil
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=30767 : +8 FR
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=30768 : +12 stam
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=30766 : +20 FR (Libram Resil)
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=31341 : +15 resist

43 +FR from enchants
224 +FR from Gear
80 +FR from Aura and Racial
35 +FR from Flask

So I am looking at 382 FR but my dodge/block in the 17%/15% and defense down in the 460's....

Any improvements I need to make?

I have not been called in to tank them yet but I feel I could be in future.
towelliee

Postby Seloei » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:45 am

40 stam > 16 dodge/defense for the flames bigtime. Get nethercleft on the pants and drop a fire res enchant on the helmet instead. I used my old ZA one since it had insane amounts of stamina and defense.

If you are going to be at 382 FR, then the kit on the gloves is useless. Use +threat instead, then your target can be first kill and with exorcism you can just rock the threat meter.
Magtheridon ring might be a better choice also, and use a second Slikk's from badges with either resistance or more def rating. The 2. box ring from ZA is insane for res sets also, loads of stamina/resilience.

I'l try to log out in my fire res set after the raid. dkpsigs isn't working for some reason but seloei on thunderhorn (eu)
Seloei

Postby mirkodeluxe » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:18 am

Since I made my first post I havent really changed anything in my gear setup; I simply havent had the time or the energy to get more resilience stuff.
However, since I have gotten a lot better at kiting these bastards I have no problems surviving unless I manage to stand in a blaze for too long or, of course, get hit by a beam.
When I die its usually because Im being stupid and no amount of gear will compensate for stupidity ;)

1. get FR capped and as close to critcap as possible.
2. get critcapped
3. perfect your kiting.
=
Win.
mirkodeluxe

Return to Black Temple