Paladin MT on felmyst

Kalecgos, Brutallus, Felmyst, M'uru, Entropius, Kil'jaeden

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Mithos » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:26 am

I can't say I disagree either really, hits hard and slow, with cleave and possibility for huge burst, why risk it, not like if you got this far your warriors can't TPS properly :p. It's not impossible, there is no special mechanic preventing us, it is just not optimal by tbh quite a bit.

Anyway it's not like we are useless, add fun in p2.
Mithos

Postby Elexis » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:43 am

Go with a bear in my opinion. They can easily survive the cleave burst and MT healer mana aint an issue here. Using warrior or pally is just a stupid risk.
Elexis

Postby Lucit » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:11 am

YoYoMa wrote:Isn't the spirit of the boards to promote strats and information at all levels for how prot pallies can tank or contribute to these fights? The OP posted information on how he tanked the boss on a progression kill. Then others jump on him saying, omg you aren't viable, let a warrior tank everything!!! It worked for his guild that's awesome. Just because you don't do it, why try to degrade his effort?

I've tanked Felmyst too, waahhh. Point is that we're not the optimal tank for it, and getting angry at someone for telling the truth is stupid.
Lucit

Postby YoYoMa » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:59 am

inferring that somebody change their strategy when it's already working for them seems a bit stupid as well.
YoYoMa

Postby fiorina » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:28 pm

YoYoMa wrote:inferring that somebody change their strategy when it's already working for them seems a bit stupid as well.

vs.

Fiorina wrote:Again, paladin can MT him no problem at all. I did that for testing. But sometimes you just have 30k spike and encapsulate on tank following. You want fast progress, guess what. Paladin have perfect place in this fight already. You usually need 2 tanks anyway because catching the skeletons could be tricky sometimes.
It's not a very hard boss...

Do you have some issues with understanding of structured text or my English is THAT bad?
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby Elexis » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:52 pm

Well if DPS is a problem obviously having a pally tank felmyst can free one spot. I'm not sure how any guild that downed brutallus would lack dps though.

Tank deaths is a problem and I don't see why you wanna use either warriors or paladins here when ferals have so much higher chance of surviving the burst dmg.

This is sunwell. Welcome to feral land where bears are maintanks while protection warriors and protecton pallies are standby. Sad but true.
Elexis

Postby Jobah » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:22 am

cracks me up to read this all... I thought the emo/defensive attitude would have been dropped way back in t5 content. We know paladins "can", but often times raids want the best option, and from what ive read the best option is not a paladin.
Jobah

Postby Tomyris » Wed May 14, 2008 10:06 pm

Tonight I solo tanked the entire Felmyst encounter start to kill and yes, I am indeed a Pally. It was our second kill and the first in which we downed her in the air, so I must agree that an extra DPS is rather more useful than a spare tank.

Previously we had done the usual Prot War MT, Prot Pally OT arrangement. Certainly I agree that Wars maintain advantages over us as Felmyst MTs, but she is well within our reach and again, the extra DPS is helpful.

So how about the rest of you folks? Gotten a chance to MT her to death yet?
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I attack.
— Ferdinand Foch

Tomyris — Silver Hand (US)
Tomyris

Postby Ratanna » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:48 am

yes i have but warrior MT is better threat gen. Felmyst attacks way too slow. and when he hits with corrosion its hard. Need faster attacks to out TPS a prot warrior. On thsi fight i can keep like a 1000-1100 TPS with ocassional 1400 spikes but good warriors can maintain 1200-1600 TPS. This fight is easy anyways. Can be done with pally tank easily just dps can't go as nutz.
Ratanna

Postby Ryuusuke » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:43 pm

What the?
Pretty good warriors in your guild, then. My threat on every undead is way higher than any of our warriors!
Furthermore i think i'm around 1300 constantly while having Wings up nearly every Groundphase with speaks over 1700 - and i wear Stamina Equipment so i can't die due to Corro Cleave 23k max burst combo :ß
Ryuusuke

Postby fiorina » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:53 pm

Warrior is not going to do 1600TPS without windfury, believe me. Ask for WoA then and you will do the same.
Ancient chineese wisdom also says that you not gonna explode after drinking Flask of blinding light if you are in desperate need of threat.
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby Thark » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:38 pm

I know when we do Felmyst, our DPS holds back substantially with a warrior tank. Mages/Warlocks/Shadowpriests - not sure about melee, but I was the highest DPS melee class - but they all spend the majority of the fight threat capped. They are the same way on Brutallus.

I'm the guild leader, raid leader, and a Paladin tank. I try and use the best tank for the encounter, which is nice because we have a capable tank of every class at 100% attendance. Our warrior is very good at staying alive, but frankly I think his threat blows, and I'm not sure how to help him. When we do Black Temple, I can usually put out around 500TPS more than him on most fights (Najentus, Supremus, Gorefiend). On just about every fight we do, people complain about his threat. Reading how many people here talk about high warrior MT threat, and the ability to not hold back really shows me what a problem this is.

While he's good at staying alive, and usually reliable, he's not the most friendly when it comes to taking advice. We never see eye to eye, and his ability to "disconnect" when he doesn't get his drop or we are farming a zone is uncanny. It's the reason I rerolled as a tank.

Through WWS, Rehfeld, and these forums I was able to boost my TPS quite significantly as I got gear. Is there a resource I can point him to for Warriors? I was a little tired of looking at TPS reports and always seeing him below the Warrior average, but seeing people talk about high TPS here is very different than our experiences with this fight. We feed him just about every drop he wants, so I very much doubt it's a gear issue.
Thark

Postby Morganim » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:59 am

Thark wrote:I know when we do Felmyst, our DPS holds back substantially with a warrior tank. Mages/Warlocks/Shadowpriests - not sure about melee, but I was the highest DPS melee class - but they all spend the majority of the fight threat capped. They are the same way on Brutallus.

I'm the guild leader, raid leader, and a Paladin tank. I try and use the best tank for the encounter, which is nice because we have a capable tank of every class at 100% attendance. Our warrior is very good at staying alive, but frankly I think his threat blows, and I'm not sure how to help him. When we do Black Temple, I can usually put out around 500TPS more than him on most fights (Najentus, Supremus, Gorefiend). On just about every fight we do, people complain about his threat. Reading how many people here talk about high warrior MT threat, and the ability to not hold back really shows me what a problem this is.

While he's good at staying alive, and usually reliable, he's not the most friendly when it comes to taking advice. We never see eye to eye, and his ability to "disconnect" when he doesn't get his drop or we are farming a zone is uncanny. It's the reason I rerolled as a tank.

Through WWS, Rehfeld, and these forums I was able to boost my TPS quite significantly as I got gear. Is there a resource I can point him to for Warriors? I was a little tired of looking at TPS reports and always seeing him below the Warrior average, but seeing people talk about high TPS here is very different than our experiences with this fight. We feed him just about every drop he wants, so I very much doubt it's a gear issue.

Tank it yourself honestly.

I have solo tanked ever since our 2nd night and first progression kill. I make a lock spec 3/3 imp, so i can still have 22k HP fully buffed, and our dps warrior chucks up demo for me (doesnt worry about TC anymore i dont think)

I have NEVER died from a corrosion hit/cleave 1 shot thingo that people talk of, with 3 palaidn healers my hp is consntantly being topped up.
I use a blinding light flask and with it my threat is high enough that casters who use there invis/shatter proplerly have never had him target anyone except me after landing.

That and 1 more dps is pro :P
Morganim

Postby Worldie » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:13 am

Nothing says you can't tank him while having the prot war respec fury, or stay prot and just keep debuffs up during ground phase.

If you can beat brutallus, this fight is not a true DPS race.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Thark » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:27 am

I wasn't looking for justification to solo tank this. I think he does a fine job, and I'm not looking to replace him. We use 2 Paladins and a Lifebloom on the MT and besides the first night haven't had issues keeping him up.

My concern is that we survived to enrage I think 4 times before we killed her the first time. The first time I wasn't pushing us to DPS, but after that it became apparent that our DPS was low because most people are threat-capped. I know it's not a DPS race, but I just figured it's a hard fight to build aggro or something.

I think our DPS is decent enough. We pushed a few raid changes and went from 6m kills on Brutallus with 15DPS to almost 5:30 kills with 14DPS. And I still think we should do it faster, because I know probably 6+ people are threat capped.

Looking at the other posts here, threat doesn't seem to be nearly as much of an issue for other guilds. I guess it's not so much of a Warrior vs. Paladin thing in that regard, but just something I noticed as an area for us to improve on.
Thark

PreviousNext

Return to Sunwell Plateau