Remove Advertisements

Gear Reset Makes Me Angry...

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Postby ulushnar » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:50 am

Brute wrote:I can't believe that I'm the only one who would want to run BWL with nine friends as an alternative way of getting some gear and badges.

I don't doubt it. But Blizzard would still have to retune it to make it work and then support it once it's running. That's not the trivial thing you make it out to be, and I can't see Blizzard justifying the extra time and money to produce additional content at entry-level 80. Not when they could be developing new dungeons further down the line or even working on the next expansion.

Blizzard's a business, it's accountable to the company that owns it and their shareholders. I don't see how repurposing a lot of old content makes sound financial sense or fits in with their overall design philosophy.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Brute » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:52 am

Ulushnar wrote:I don't doubt it. But Blizzard would still have to retune it to make it work and then support it once it's running. That's not the trivial thing you make it out to be, and I can't see Blizzard justifying the extra time and money to produce additional content at entry-level 80. Not when they could be developing new dungeons further down the line or even working on the next expansion.

Blizzard's a business, it's accountable to the company that owns it and their shareholders. I don't see how repurposing a lot of old content makes sound financial sense or fits in with their overall design philosophy.

ok you're not saying you hope it doesn't happen... you're just saying that it won't.

Well I don't disagree with you there, but I wish it would.
Brute

Postby ulushnar » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:52 am

moduspwnens wrote:I see what you're saying, I'm just not sure it's realistic. As a player, I'd probably enjoy it, but as a developer, I'd say it'd be better to put resources into new dungeons, quests, zones, etc.

This is the point I'm trying to make.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby ulushnar » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:56 am

Brute wrote:ok you're not saying you hope it doesn't happen... you're just saying that it won't.

Well I don't disagree with you there, but I wish it would.

Why would I hope it doesn't happen? I'm not some mean-spirited old witch who seeks to destroy everyone's fun*. I'm a cynic, and on occasion, a realist to boot. There were definately some fun fights back in the day, but the sheer cost in making them work in the way you're suggesting is impractical.

And Blizz has never been one to look back, except to try and learn from the things that people liked and didn't like.

*(That's just a happy by-product of many of my posts.)
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Grokii » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:59 am

Here's a new idea... we have normal and heroic dailies for the level 70 crowd...

Why not have 'dailies' for the 60 crowd and 50 crowd, etc? Make the rewards worth it so people want to PUG the old instances while they are leveling up alts. Put a restriction in the quest so the group has to be +/- 8 levels of each other to receive credit.

There you go, level appropriate groups for older content. Have the rewards be a mini-badge system. Each person that runs an instance gets 1 badge for completing the quest. They just have to tune it so a higher level can come in and demolish the zone for some friends. No one will want to run them, everyone will whine for a higher level to help. Reward people for running instances while it is level appropriate.
Grokii

Postby Origon » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:00 am

level caps on the old dungeons? too high and can't enter? although that wouldn't logically make sense, but since when is anything bound by logic
Origon

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:04 am

If they went with something like that, they could just lock whichever dungeon is on daily to only admit people in the level range during that day, leaving all the others accessible. Not sure what you'd gain from it other than getting to run the dungeons, though, which is what we have now. There'd have to be some particularly interesting rewards as incentive, and they'd have to not mess up things further down the line. Hard to implement, and probably not worth Blizz's time to do so.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Origon » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:08 am

I mean't the level restriction to prevent a lvl80 from running his lvl19 friend's alt through Shadowfang Keep cause its the "daily" for that uber +5dps dagger but to allow the "right level" group to enter. But, at least to me, restrictions like that don't make sense to me, since logically, whats stopping someone from wandering into a cave or castle filled with weak inhabitants simply to slaughter them all for personal enjoyment and other goodies, however useless
Origon

Postby ulushnar » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:10 am

Try going into Molten Core with a lvl 45 character some time...
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Origon » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:22 am

MC is 45+? O.o would think that'd be the bare minimum, not the "designed for" level

*You zone into Molten Core*
*Majordomo Executus has been engaged*
Origon

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:08 am

We used to joke about zoning in level 1 characters into MC and proxy pulling Sulfuron.

Today's GU Comic http://www.gucomics.com/comic/?cdate=20080805 references old EQ zones being temp buffed -- mobs and gear.

It looks like EQ has beaten WoW to the punch with regards to recycling old content. Although with as many expansions as EQ has, I imagine they have more dross than WoW does.

And it really wouldn't be that hard to scale old world content up, and have things drop random blue of the (useless) gear -- that code already exists for the Ethereum Prison dudes. Running an algorithm to scale a level 15 mob up to 70 wouldn't be hard to do either.

The problem is, I think that kind of ramshackle thinking goes against Blizzard's design creed. Yes, it would easily create a bunch of mass produced bread that would feed the masses. But Blizzard prides itself on being an artisan bakery, where every dinner roll is a work of art.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Vesper » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:01 am

As much as I occasionally like to reminisce about the grand old days of EQ, I wouldn't like to see them in WoW. WoW was designed the way it was because the many of developers played EQ and were well aware of its flaws (and no, I don't mean just Tigole and Furor). One of my friends was the PR guy for Blizzard during WoW's development -- a number of Legacy of Steel players were Blizzard devs...I think.

Everyone who fondly remembers "vanilla" WoW raids -- are you sure it's because they were more grandiose, or was it simply because they were your first experience with raiding (I know this isn't true in all cases)? Nothing I've raided in WoW remotely compares to my glory day raids in EQ (racing to old world dragons, breaking Fear, racing through NTOV, AoW trains, etc.), but overall I would say that the WoW raid experience is a lot smoother and more varied.

Every once in awhile I miss being able to grind for AAs and long camps and uninstanced content and artificial bottlenecks and such...and then I remember how nice it is to actually have a social life outside of a video game.

P.S. The two best parts of Luclin -- Seru's maze and the invisible bridge.
Vesper

Postby Vesper » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:08 am

fuzzygeek wrote:We used to joke about zoning in level 1 characters into MC and proxy pulling Sulfuron.

Today's GU Comic http://www.gucomics.com/comic/?cdate=20080805 references old EQ zones being temp buffed -- mobs and gear.

Yeesh, Blackburrow trains at level 80. Sign me up!
Vesper

Postby Khisvir » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:26 am

I'm probably not going to hit 70 before Lich King comes out, so not only am I not going to see any of the "Old World" raids, I'm probably not going to see much of the "Current World" stuff either.

*sigh*

I know I don't NEED to run any of those instance...it's more of a WANT to...I'm having awesome fun playing this game, and I want to experience all of it, not just the current flavor of the month stuff.
Space for rent - reasonable rates
Khisvir

Previous

Return to General