Remove Advertisements

Tanking Archimonde

Winterchill, Anetheron, Kaz'rogal, Azgalor, Archimonde

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Holyfuri » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:39 am

We recently started working on Archimonde, and I have been MT for him. Fortunately for me we have on average 4-6 priests in a raid, just the way it works out.

I went full avoidance gear for survivability, puts me at 20k hps, 468 spell damage, and 65% avoidance. I must say, that every single attempt I am pretty much the last one to die. I actually was going oom fairly often with max threat rotation. Me dying is certainly not in danger, it's fires and grip on people killing us. I have been debating on going to a more threat oriented build, but voted against it.

Even though I go oom with that much avoidance, the truth is Archimonde is not a dps fight. You need about 7k raid dps to kill him before the timer. Our ZA bear runs do that much, so we aren't in any danger.

Short version with my experiences thus far... Pallys can tank him perfectly fine, with enough priests in the raid. Without enough priests, I don't know, never done it.

Also, what I do is have a fear ward rotation on myself, and I immediately cleanse the two or three closest healers to myself as soon as they are feared, then cleanse decursers/dps if they aren't already freed. It works pretty well to be honest.
Holyfuri

Postby Blitzago » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:44 pm

I cant really have a say, cause our normal tank who tanks this is a warrior, whos in 6 pc t6, since my guild is split off from a guild farming bt/hyjal and working on brutalis, I managed to get in as a holy pally, but for the most part this is a pretty simple fight if people can stay out of fire, you have 4 - 5 decursers and if your a pally have plenty of fear wards, just remember this isnt a DPS race, its about staying alive.
Blitzago

Postby Falibard » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:41 am

So along the same lines I may be in the position to tank Archimonde as a progression kill. Our warrior MT has been MIA lately, and I keep getting all the upgrades because he's not there. Based on what I've read here, I think i have the stats but I'm a little concerned.

Linky for armory : http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning%27s+Blade&n=Falibard

BT was good to me this week, I got the bracers, shoulders, and ring! Akama's boots dropped too, but I let a warrior tank take them since he was wearing Kara boots >.<

I was talking to my RL last night about trying Archimonde even though we didn't have a geared warrior with us just to get people used to the fight, whether I tanked or our fairly well geared druid tanked. From what I understand the boss doesn't crush, so wouldn't a bear's armor and health make that fight easy mode?

Thanks in advance for the replies
Falibard

Postby Worldie » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:47 am

Change one trinket with a avoidance trinket (if you have one) and you are fine for Archi.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Holyfuri » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:34 am

Worldie wrote:20k+ HP, 19k+ armor, around 60% avoidance, and 3 fear wards + pvp trinket is all you need.

Question for ya. We are woking on him, and I have found that i think I prefer stacking avoidance for this fight because of the high damage intake. Do you think this is correct or should I just stack stamina?

Example: In avoidance buffs I am buffed at 64.5% avoidance, 19.7k hit points, and 18k armor (before Ironshield pots).

If I went stamina I would be at about 61% avoidance, and 20.5k hps and the same armor count. My thinking was if I can survive two hits from him with 19.7, why get another 1k hit points when I can get a bit for avoidance? I am starting to rethink my position though as of late...

PS: This is all without a pvp trinket equipped because we have 4 priests in the raid.
Holyfuri

Postby Falibard » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:15 am

Worldie wrote:Change one trinket with a avoidance trinket (if you have one) and you are fine for Archi.

I have a bank full of gear and trinkets... I'd assume the Pocket Watch would be the way to go. I'm more interested in downing him than being the progression tank, that being said what are thoughts on whether I or a (kinda) similarly geared drood should do it? From what I read in another thread this is not a pally tank friendly boss, but if there are no warriors available...
Falibard

Postby ShaiHulud » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:41 am

Falibard wrote:
Worldie wrote:Change one trinket with a avoidance trinket (if you have one) and you are fine for Archi.

I have a bank full of gear and trinkets... I'd assume the Pocket Watch would be the way to go. I'm more interested in downing him than being the progression tank, that being said what are thoughts on whether I or a (kinda) similarly geared drood should do it? From what I read in another thread this is not a pally tank friendly boss, but if there are no warriors available...

It's about the same. The druid would obviously mitigate more damage but you both would probabaly be around the same health/avoidance is my guess. Most guilds don't have trouble with tanks dying its the DPS/Healers not running from doomfires. The way we kill him is 2 shadow priests always on the look out for who to heal and DPS not being dumb. Last night we 1 shot him but the first half of the pull was a shit ton of doomfires. We fear ward MT healers and have a warrior tank stance dance. He still took a fear last night but got dispelled almost immediately.
^The new WoTLK Main
^Old TBC main
ShaiHulud

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:32 pm

A druid would take less damage than the paladin, given same avoidance. The bear will probably have a little more at this point.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Meehnea » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:57 am

Progression-tanked him one day before the 3.0 patch, my unbuffed stats being: 15500 hp, 18k armor, 32%dodge, 18%parry, 530 def, 19%block and arround 430 spelldamage. Only spiked on the first attempt when the healers didnt know what to expect:) Also threat was really good , noone had to 'pull out'...
Meehnea

Previous

Return to Mt. Hyjal