Tanking Romulo problems

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tanking Romulo problems

Postby Grokii » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:15 am

Ok, so I come to Kara for my first run as an off tank.

I do great on the trash pulls, tank half the adds on Moroes, no problem.

We get the opera event and we get Romeo and Juliet. We're short on interrupts, so the warrior tank wanted to get Juliet and I was put on Romulo. The warrior tanks Juliet, she dies and Romulo comes out. He tanks Romulo and he dies.

I drop consecration and put up HS. I pick up Romulo and Juliet both, main tank grab Juliet. I tank fine for 25-30 seconds, then I go down hard. By the time the warrior picks up Romulo all the dps are dead. It is him, 2 healers, and an off-healer. Juliet gets a couple heals off and healers run out of mana, wipe. I look back in the log and I see I got crushed along with having juliet's holy DoT on me, so I was more worried about threat then keeping HS up. My fault, not going to let that happen again.

Second try is worse. Romulo goes down and I have the 5 seconds or so before they both come out. Again, max rank consecration and HS. I get Romulo and he two rounds me. The warrior tank picks him up and tanks both and we win.

I look at the log and Romulo got his Daring buff and did the poison thrust to me. I didn't get crushed, but I didn't dodge or parry any attack, nor did he miss. I did block two attacks, but only for ~300 or so. So he hit me for 2-3k about 8 times in under 5 seconds. I have 13k hps unbuffed and couldn't survive that. My healers could have been more on the ball, but they were used to watching the warrior and not me. I don't blame them for not picking up that big of a spike right off the bat. The problem is, they probably have low confidence in me now.

I think I have close to the best gear I could that doesn't require a raid, badges, or heroics. I logged out in my raiding gear if you wanted to look:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... o&n=Grokii

I'm uncrushable, uncritable, and didn't have any threat problems. From what I've read here, thats what I needed to main-tank Kara. Why did I die so fast? What could I do differently?
Grokii

Postby Moraus » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:21 am

was romulo's poison being dispelled?

since it reduces attributes by % it could be that you had liek <10k hp
Moraus

Postby ulushnar » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:23 am

I had problems with Romulo and Julianne on Saturday actually.

It was, I think, the first time I've done them without a Druid/Paladin/Shaman in the group (besides me of course) and I ended up getting a lot of poison stacks and dying horribly.

When I realised what was going on, I just cleansed myself. You get like two stacks whenever he casts that, so a couple of cleanses asap and you're home free.

As for Daring, we have a Mage spellsteal that. You could also get away with a Priest dispelling it or a Shaman purging it.

Your raid needs to be on top of the buffs, debuffs and heals on this fight or it'll quickly become a clusterf**k.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Grokii » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:42 am

We weren't specifically looking for the poison debuff and such. My main concern was dying in under 5 seconds that second time

Unless I had HoTs ticket on me before I got aggro or healers were starting to cast heals before they poped, I was dead. Of course, if they do that then they are in risk of stealing aggro.

I definitely think part of the problem was complacency by the healers. They're used to their beefy fairly well geared warrior tanking and not used to me being considerably squishy. Everyone starts somewhere though, eh?

Next time I'll ask the druid to keep a regrowth, a rejuv and that poison cleansing thing on me before they both self-res.
Grokii

Postby solina » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:00 am

Grokii wrote:We weren't specifically looking for the poison debuff and such. My main concern was dying in under 5 seconds that second time

These are contradictory statements. The Poision + the Daring is what kills you. The Poison, if allowed to stack, reduces your HP substantially, while the Daring increases his attacks substantially. This creates spikey damage with less wiggle room for you.

If you have a hunter, they can Arcane Shot Romulo to remove the Daring. If not, priest can dispell it.

If you have a druid, Abolish Poison rocks this fight, and should be up 24/7. If not, shammies & pallies need to cure them.

If Daring and Poison are under control, it's an easy fight.
solina

Postby Makaijin » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:03 am

Romolo doesn't stack his poisons that fast. Just cleanse them yourself, one of the perks of being a tankadin. There's enough spare GCD in your typical threat rotation to put cleanses in between. I'm not sure what unitframe mods you use (if any) but something like xperl lights up the whole unitframe whenever you get a debuff thats dispellable by yourself. Helps in keeping poison stack more managable ans such.
Makaijin

Postby Grokii » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:07 am

We had neither a hunter nor a priest for this fight. We did have two mages and a shaman. The shaman was on juliet to help stop her casting.

Would the mages have been able to spellsteal the daring buff?
Grokii

Re: Tanking Romulo problems

Postby nekrotok » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:49 am

Grokii wrote:Ok, so I come to Kara for my first run as an off tank.

I look at the log and Romulo got his Daring buff and did the poison thrust to me. I didn't get crushed, but I didn't dodge or parry any attack, nor did he miss. I did block two attacks, but only for ~300 or so. So he hit me for 2-3k about 8 times in under 5 seconds. I have 13k hps unbuffed and couldn't survive that.

Did you check the log to see how many heals you got? 5 secs is a long time to go without (much) heals, and I'd wager that was the problem.

Also, next time I'd recommend you tank romulo the first time when he spawns by himself too, and drill into the healers minds that you are tanking and need heals. Also gives you some practice too.

and yeah, don't forget to cleanse, but that's kinda secondary to keeping HS and cons up.
nekrotok

Postby ldeboer » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:40 pm

Mages can and should spellsteal the daring buff :)

Other than that what they all said cleanse the poison yourself.
ldeboer

Postby Amirya » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:52 pm

Yeah, definitely cleanse yourself of the poison. I tend to do a cleanse on anything that hits me on most bosses. I like seeing, "Nothing to dispell" pop up - means my healers are on the ball.

Spellsteal Daring for sure. I usually eat it 'cause my raid group is bizarre, so I have to put my mages on counterspelling Julianne.

(But with new members and new 70's, that hopefully won't be an issue for me anymore)
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Martie » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:21 pm

I tanked him today without much difficulty. (Juliette is a different story)

He's undead. There are no aggro problems.

That means you -need- to keep holy shield up. The rest of the threat cycle can be shuffled around a bit to make room for cleanses. Heck, if a boss poisons me, I'm gonna cleanse that fast. It's bad enough that he can crush me without the poison.
He never got more then the two stacks he applies per go, and those lasted for about 3 seconds per application.
Heck, I cleansed it so fast I still have no clue what the poison does.
I'm about to drop the hammer...
...and dispense some indiscriminate justice!

This is my armory profile
Martie

Return to Karazhan