Remove Advertisements

lack of dual wield disadvantages prot paladins while DPSing?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

lack of dual wield disadvantages prot paladins while DPSing?

Postby Candiru » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:57 am

When my warrior buddy tank goes DPS, he gets on a high-crit fury set (for more devestate damage!) and dual-weilds. This gets him the +10% one-handed spec damage increase.

When I DPS I have my ret set with a big 2-H weapon. This ignores my +5% one-handed spec.

In WOTLK If you are DPSing as prot, will you be best with a 2H weapon and Seal of Blood, or a one-hand and shield and DPS with hammer, shield slam and Seal of Blood? I assume the gear will be the same DPS plate in both cases. 2-H weapons have higher base damage than 1H, but since we can't use hammer and shield slam with a 2H, and one-handed-spec doesn't apply will our DPS be with a one-hand and shield?
Candiru

Postby ulushnar » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:00 am

When I DPS, I just go mace-and-board in my high-spellpower set.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Constantine » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:03 am

Ulushnar wrote:When I DPS, I just go mace-and-board in my high-spellpower set.

When I DPS, I'm Ret. Spec in a BG...

Edit: I should L2Read ... So ya, in LK were going to be doing alot more damage. IMO Just throwing on a 2H and SoB will be more than enough for single target. The Stam -> SP talent will have us covered pretty well as far as holy damage is concerned when AoE grinding.

(I am speaking from the PoV of someone who will only have T4 gear when LK hits)
Last edited by Constantine on Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
No armory link necessary. I am so awesome that if you clicked my armory link, your computer would explode.
Or perhaps whatever the opposite of that statement would be.
Constantine

Postby Mortehl » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:04 am

If you threw on your ret set and kept a high dps main hand out, you might be surprised how much DPS you'll be able to put out with shield of righteousness and hammer of the righteous. They both scale with ap..
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:09 am

Mortehl wrote:If you threw on your ret set and kept a high dps main hand out, you might be surprised how much DPS you'll be able to put out with shield of righteousness and hammer of the righteous. They both scale with ap..
With STR ^^ Shield comes from BV
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Makaijin » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:15 am

Mortehl wrote:If you threw on your ret set and kept a high dps main hand out, you might be surprised how much DPS you'll be able to put out with shield of righteousness and hammer of the righteous. They both scale with ap..

This actually makes sense. Wearing Ret gear with plenty of strength, You'll be seeing big Shield of Righteous damage with the new 2 str = 1 BV. And since ShoR is damage = 200% of BV, it's more like 1 str = 1 damage. Stack the Strength, get a nice slow 1h main hand, and see big yellow numbers fly!

But 1 thing I would like to know is, if ShoR crits melee wise (200% damage, like the SoB holy physical hybrid ) or if it is counted as a spell since it does Holy damage (150% damage). Either way, since crit rating is now consolidated for both spell and melee crit, you can pretty much wear ret gear with plenty of Str/AP and crit, cast SoB, and go to town burning those ShoR and HotR and Judgement (of wisdom) cooldowns.
Makaijin

Postby d503 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:06 am

This.

I crit for 1100. SoCorruption ticks for 950. I judge for 1500 with 3k crits with 5 stacks of vengeance...

Oh, and I have 500 BV in my Ret Gear, so when Redoubt and HS are up, I don't take damage from normal mobs.

Pretty sweet deal if you ask me...also, I don't have enough time to knit a sweater between swings...

Also...I crit heal for 6700 in this same gear...
d503

Postby ARogers » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:13 am

d503 wrote:

This.

I crit for 1100. SoCorruption ticks for 950. I judge for 1500 with 3k crits with 5 stacks of vengeance...

Oh, and I have 500 BV in my Ret Gear, so when Redoubt and HS are up, I don't take damage from normal mobs.

Pretty sweet deal if you ask me...also, I don't have enough time to knit a sweater between swings...

I was honestly going to make my new shammy my "main" on WOTLK, but this kinda stuff makes me not even want to think about it. I feel like we are getting such a MASSIVE buff on all of our lacking points.
ARogers

Postby d503 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:31 am

ARogers wrote:
d503 wrote:

This.

I was honestly going to make my new shammy my "main" on WOTLK, but this kinda stuff makes me not even want to think about it. I feel like we are getting such a MASSIVE buff on all of our lacking points.

Another thing worth mentioning:

My raiding enhancement shaman buddy respec'd elemental because he was so bored as enhancement...prot is fun! be not afraid...

Maybe I'll make a video this weekend, and just run around leveling.
d503

Postby Dianora » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:33 am

Makaijin wrote:

This actually makes sense. Wearing Ret gear with plenty of strength, You'll be seeing big Shield of Righteous damage with the new 2 str = 1 BV. And since ShoR is damage = 200% of BV, it's more like 1 str = 1 damage. Stack the Strength, get a nice slow 1h main hand, and see big yellow numbers fly!

But 1 thing I would like to know is, if ShoR crits melee wise (200% damage, like the SoB holy physical hybrid ) or if it is counted as a spell since it does Holy damage (150% damage). Either way, since crit rating is now consolidated for both spell and melee crit, you can pretty much wear ret gear with plenty of Str/AP and crit, cast SoB, and go to town burning those ShoR and HotR and Judgement (of wisdom) cooldowns.

looks like I'm buying that blue pvp seat from factions. (I have ZERO ret gear due to space limitation and the fact that I'm a vanity pet and mount collector).
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Mordinm » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:51 am

d503 wrote:

This.

How long does your mana pool hold out doing this? In a raid using SoV means you take no damage unless raid damage is part of the fight. The one-hander shield method only works for as long as you can spam your abilities.
Mordinm

Postby Lemondish » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:00 am

Mordinm wrote:
d503 wrote:

This.

How long does your mana pool hold out doing this? In a raid using SoV means you take no damage unless raid damage is part of the fight. The one-hander shield method only works for as long as you can spam your abilities.

I'm sure the new and improved judgment of wisdom helps a ton, on top of the fact that Seals now last 2 minutes and Hammer of the Righteous and Shield of Righteousness are ridiculously cheap manawise.
Lemondish

Postby d503 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:26 am

Lemondish wrote:
Mordinm wrote:
d503 wrote:

This.

I'm sure the new and improved judgment of wisdom helps a ton, on top of the fact that Seals now last 2 minutes and Hammer of the Righteous and Shield of Righteousness are ridiculously cheap manawise.

This.

I probably have to use Divine Plea every 20 minutes while killing shit non-stop...

I do use Judgement of Wisdom, and probably get about 1k mana back a fight...depening in how quickly I want the fight to go, this could be a full restoration of mana, or I may end up with a deficit of about 500.

All in all, I haven't had to sit once during long leveling strings.
d503

Return to WotLK