Remove Advertisements

M'uru Guide with a Paladin Side Tank

Kalecgos, Brutallus, Felmyst, M'uru, Entropius, Kil'jaeden

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

M'uru Guide with a Paladin Side Tank

Postby Elsie » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:11 pm

Here's my shot at a M'uru guide for side tanking. Any guild in sunwell will, of course, should modify it to their needs. Hopefully though, this will get you one step closer to the fire bloom hell-on-azeroth.

==================BASE KNOWLEDGE==================
While this is a very big fight, there’s only so much one person needs to keep track of. That said, here are the major abilities of Phase 1:

Negative Energy:
http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=46008
M’uru basically pulses this out and there’s not much to do about it except heal through it. The damage isn’t that bad your resto shamans and holy priests can’t handle it.

Darkness:
http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=45996
This is a rather nasty ability. A 15 yard radius around M’uru becomes a void zone applying a debuff that reduces all healing by 100% for and 3000 damage every second. On top of that, Dark Fiends spawn out of the Darkness zone and must be mass dispelled or they blow your raid up.

Void Sentinels:
http://www.wowhead.com/?npc=25772
Void Sentinels are nasty, and should generally be tanked by a warrior who can spell reflect their Void Blast. They have a shadow nova pulse that cannot be mitigated, and hit extremely hard without Demoralizing Shout. They also spawn Void Spawn on death and should be dragged over someone consecrating far away from the raid.

Void Spawns:
http://www.wowhead.com/?npc=25824
Eight of these guys come out when a Void Sentinel dies. The only effective way to keep them from Shadow Volleying the raid is a paladin using consecrate on a Void Sentinel when it dies. They hit for next to nothing with physical damage, but can do massive shadow damage without Shadow Resistance on.

Humanoids:
Shadowsword Fury Mage http://www.wowhead.com/?npc=25799#comments
Shadowsword Berserker http://www.wowhead.com/?npc=25798
Every minute, M’uru summons one mage and two Berserkers. This is where you come in. Note that these adds are not subject to Sunwell Radiance.
The Mage does a particularly nasty fireball which can hit you hard. Most of your damage will not come from the Shadowsword Fury Mage, but if it survives long enough to buff with Spell Fury http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=46102 you will die quickly to some instant fireballs. The mage can do the most burst damage and has the lowest HP combined with being the hardest damage to mitigate.

Shadowsword Berserkers are melee based. They attack –extremely- fast with dual wield to the tune that just one can eat through Holy Shield charges before you can re-apply. Most of the damage you take comes from these, but they are also the easiest to mitigate. They can be particularly more dangerous with Flurry http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=46160 up.

==================YOUR STATS, SURVIVING IT==================
If you’re going to tank the Shadowsong humanoid adds, you’re going to need gear. Normally up to this point you have to balance your stats to keep your mana and threat up while not dying.

None of that applies here. The Shadowsword Berserkers will rip into you regardless of your Effective Health. They can tear down tanks with steady ease.

• Avoidance: Avoidance is king here, and you want as much as possible. Berserkers are what kill you in this fight, and Sunwell Radiance does not affect them. Try as hard as you can, even changing your gems and enchants.
• Block Value: The Berserkers dual wield with a buff for 100% faster attack swings. This makes block value incredibly strong against them – even usually stronger than armor. Due to the shear amount of hits you take, Redoubt will proc often even when Holy Shield is down making this your strongest damage reduction ability, but also relatively hard to gear for.
• HP: The amount of damage you take is significant, but you are also getting chain healed. Generally, the minimum HP you need in this fight is 18000. Sacrificing HP down to ~19k for avoidance is recommended. The damage you take is significant, but steady with the exception of Fireballs.
• Armor: The humanoids are level 71, thus so the armor cap is ~32000. This is much easier to approach than the standard 35600 for bosses. That said, armor is not nearly as important as block value and avoidance on this fight – though it cannot be ignored.
• Spelldamage: You should easily have 4pc t6 at this point. You will want over 480 spell damage, but a lot of your reactive abilities do the work in this fight. Windfury and Reckoning will generate a lot of threat on the mage at the start and he is tauntable. Holy Shield and Consecrate will do its magic incredibly well for a huge threat lead on the Bersekers.
• Trinkets: The best combo for this fight is Shadowmoon Insigna + Commendation of Kael’thas. The adds spawn every 1 minute and the most dangerous time is when they first approach you and all three are up. Moroes’ Lucky Pocketwatch can be good on this fight if your side DPS has a lot of stuns for the Mage.
• Spec: Talent specs will always be opinionated. However, Ardent Defender, Improved Judgment, and Reckoning are all very strong for this fight. Shield Specialization is invaluable, and Avenger’s Shield is incredibly good for burst threat. However, people have successfully done this as 0/40/21.

==================BUFFS AND CONSUMABLES==================
Commanding won’t be available for this fight. You will, most likely, be in a group with your DPS group. Hopefully you have an enhancement shaman who is twisting GOA and windfury. Otherwise, you will probably have a hunter group and GOA anyway. If you don’t have windfury, you will need to oil. Otherwise, here’s the typical buffs

• Food: go for Spicy Crawdads. 30 stamina
• Flask: Flask of Fortification
• Elixirs: Elixir of Major Agility + Elixir of Major Defense
• Potions: Ironshield Potions. Tons of them. Infact, a few tons. A Metric Ton.
• Scrolls: Scrolls of Agility. Generally you should be using the exalted Hyjal ring here since it offers a lot of Block Value.
• Oil: Superior Wizard Oil (Note: Should have windfury)

==================DEBUFFS==================
Don’t expect much. You won’t have a boomkin, the hunter doesn’t have time for serpent sting, and rogues don’t really do much for you. In general, the most you can expect is a frost trap and mind-numbing poison. The poison can either be shiv’d on (if your rogue has a spare good off-hand) or a snake trap with some prayer. If the rogue does not have a spare off-hand Mind Numbing Poison is not worth the DPS loss.
If you’re lucky enough to have a DPS warrior, he should start with a Thunderclap and Demoralizing shout. These two debuffs make an incredible difference.

That leaves your debuffs. Judgement of Wisdom is very important to keep an enhancement shaman and hunters. In phase two, judgement of light is a superior debuff due to the (probably) large amount of melee. It can, feasibly, heal 10,000 damage for a rogue.

==================ADVANCED TRAINING: THE PULL==================
This fight is surprisingly boring to tank besides the pick up and first target. Your job is:
1. Grab all three before someone gets hit.
2. Generate tons of agro.
3. Don’t die.
The first is easy. You drop a consecrate about where the mobs ‘pause’ coming out their side so they take a few ticks before they stop. If you are on the KJ door side, then you should throw your shield. Here is the recommended macro:
Code: Select all
#showtooltip
/tar Shadowsword Berserker
/script SetRaidTarget("target",7)
/tar Shadowsword Fury Mage
/script SetRaidTarget("target",8)
/cast [modifier:ctrl] Avenger's shield(Rank 1); Avenger's shield
/startattack

This will mark a Berserker with X, the Fury Mage with Skull, and then throw your shield at the Fury Mage and start swinging. If you need a different simple, you just change 7/8 to anything between 1-8 corresponding to the drop down list you’d see right-clicking the mob frame. This will denote your kill order Skull -> X -> Unmarked.

==================ADVANCED TRAINING: THREAT==================
Generating tons of threat is key. Assuming your mage is the first target, you cannot rely on holy shield. Use avenger’s shield and then immediately judge and reseal. For the start, it is relatively better to let holy shield fall than consecrate and judgment. This can lead to trouble, but you should have a trinket or Nightmare Seed cooldown readily available. Avenging Wrath is best used on the second wave so it’s back up on the last wave or M’uru.
• Judgment as often as possible
• Consecrate as often as possible
• Prioritize Holy Shield only after the Mage dies (assuming mage is first)

==================ADVANCED TRAINING: DON’T DIE==================
Not dying is probably the hardest part and not readily up to you. Most of Not Dying is gear, your healer, and your DPS. However, there are some things you can help with. Use your CDs on the initial mob of each wave. Use the Mother Sharaz block value trinket with Improved Judgment every cooldown for a huge mitigation boost. Finally, your greatest ‘Oh Shit’ button is Hammer of Justice on a Berserker. This can mitigate anywhere from 30-50% the damage you would take in 6 seconds. It is best used either immediately, after the first mob dies, or on the secondary target via a macro.
• Use the Block Value Libram and Judgment ASAP
• Use CDs on the initial kill mob
• Use Hammer of Justice Wisely

==================ADVANCED TRAINING: TRANSITION==================
This is the make or break part of the fight. It is imperative your DPS finish your side. Do not panic to go to Entropius – trust your team to do their parts. The hunter and shaman in your group will probably leave you to go misdirect and drop totems, but your rogue and your spare DPS (and hunter when he’s done Misdirect) should help finish off any berserkers you have left.

If all goes well, you will transition on Sentinel 9. This means the transition occurs with 1 to 1.5 Berserkers left. This is the wave to use Avenging Wrath if you feel DPS is slacking because their CDs are much more valuable on Entropius.
One of the biggest things on the last wave is getting swapped for the Warrior sentinel tank. He needs your group for threat and your job is fairly done in p2.
    • Don’t panic: focus on your job
    • Use Avenging Wrath if needed
    • Swap group positions with the Warrior Sentinel Tank

==================ADVANCED TRAINING: PHASE TWO==================
Repeat after me: I will not stand in a Void Zone or get tossed by an orb. In reality, you should be looking at the ground around you the whole time and keep Judgement of Light up. Someone (possibly you) on vent should be calling out orbs and where they are headed as well as any Void Zone areas so the Entropius Tank know where –not- to go. That’s about all you can do. You can try to throw on a healing weapon/shield, but you won’t make very much progress due to the sheer damage output to the raid by Entropius.
• Don’t stand in a Void Zone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
• Don’t stand near a forming Void Zone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
• Try not to get tossed by an orb.

Videos
http://89.186.169.160/ll/08_08_05_Muru_FK_final.avi
-Video by Stings of door tanking. Paladin POV
http://files.filefront.com/trample+vs+m ... einfo.html
-Video by Ziv of door tanking. Paladin POV
http://files.filefront.com/illuminatimu ... einfo.html
-Healer view of a paladin side tanking.
http://files.filefront.com/iavsmuruwmv/ ... einfo.html
-Video by PsiVen of side tanking. Paladin POV
Last edited by Elsie on Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:24 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Elsie

Postby Ankh » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:39 pm

A little bit of false info. Some questionable tactics. But other then that nice guide.
Ankh

Postby Elsie » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:23 pm

A little bit of false info. Some questionable tactics. But other then that nice guide.

Go into detail because this is exactly how i've done it and experienced it. Posting something like that sort of demands information or you look silly.
Elsie

Postby Cakes » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:48 pm

Mind posting a gear setup for this? We swapped around our strats for this fight and had me on a side, but I'm getting the holy crap kicked out of me without enough avoidance. I do have the option for regemming my gear.

Edit: Nvm, I just looked through some of your parses, you're sitting at a bit more dodge than I am, but nothing drastic. Seems your side is dying a lot faster, which is resulting in a lot less damage overall.
Cakes

Postby Ankh » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:40 am

For starters

-Prot paladin gemmed an entire t6 and shadow resist set for spell dmg, over 1000 spell dmg and swapped to healing weapon/mace for p2.

No reason to have 1000spelldmg or full t6 gemmed for spelldmg. And as for shadow 2 peices works fine.
Not only do you not need these, but if sentinel tank was to die somewhere at the very end or if a side tank was to die you could salvage the attempt in mostly normal gear.
Ankh

Postby PsiVen » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:11 am

When tanking voidspawns, I'd rather reliably output more threat/damage than possibly pick up side adds after they 1-shot 2-3 people. As for the sentinel I doubt it would work either because chances are the healers will be flustered trying to heal you, and you won't have a grounding totem for the void blast.

I think the best way is to either go 4X/2X/0 and help heal yourself, or 0/40/21 and help DPS more. In both cases there's no reason not to have ~300 buffed SR unless perhaps you AoE every spawn wave rather than every other.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Elsie » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:18 am

No reason to have 1000spelldmg or full t6 gemmed for spelldmg. And as for shadow 2 peices works fine.
Not only do you not need these, but if sentinel tank was to die somewhere at the very end or if a side tank was to die you could salvage the attempt in mostly normal gear.

You would NEVER be able to replace the sentinel warrior if you're tanking babies. Also you would NEVER be able to pick up a side before it started gibbing people. The sentinel tank has to pick up Entropius. You will still have void spawns up when this happens. Entropius + void spawns is an easy way to wipe. If any tank dies in this fight it's a wipe. Yes, you could make 2pc shadow resist work. There's no reason not to wear 3-4pc.

Consecrate is an uncapped aoe spell with a near 100% spell damage coefficient. If you stack spell damage,use on-use trinkets such as Icon of the Silver Crescent and Shrunken Hex Head, and destro pots you can solo most of the void spawns without any help. This lets your warlocks and mages focus more on sentinels and getting m'uru down in time. It also helps the transition. It also helps hold them initially off shadow priest healing and mana return threat.

I would highly recommend a void spawn tank spec 0/40/21, also. I would recommend against 4X/2X/0. When you get a 'new wave' comes you can possibly have 2 sets of void spawns, a new one incoming, and that unresistable aoe pulse from the sentinel. Even in SR gear this is a lot of damage and the +16.6% HP really helps.

Mind posting a gear setup for this? We swapped around our strats for this fight and had me on a side, but I'm getting the holy crap kicked out of me without enough avoidance. I do have the option for regemming my gear.

It's hard to post a 'recommended' gear set up. If I had to, it'd be 'tier 6 unless sunwell/BT gear has more avoidance.' In general, you want ~19k hp and as much dodge as possible. However, not everyone (including me) has the option of regemming all their gear. I sit at roughly 72-75% avoidance with agility totem and thus 80-85% with Commendation; however, obviously the shaman twists and commendation isn't always up.
Elsie

Postby Ankh » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:56 pm

[quote="Elsie"
You would NEVER be able to replace the sentinel warrior if you're tanking babies. Also you would NEVER be able to pick up a side before it started gibbing people. The sentinel tank has to pick up Entropius. You will still have void spawns up when this happens. Entropius + void spawns is an easy way to wipe. If any tank dies in this fight it's a wipe. Yes, you could make 2pc shadow resist work. There's no reason not to wear 3-4pc.

Consecrate is an uncapped aoe spell with a near 100% spell damage coefficient. If you stack spell damage,use on-use trinkets such as Icon of the Silver Crescent and Shrunken Hex Head, and destro pots you can solo most of the void spawns without any help. This lets your warlocks and mages focus more on sentinels and getting m'uru down in time. It also helps the transition. It also helps hold them initially off shadow priest healing and mana return threat.

[quote]
HAVE replaced the tank until something else went wrong. HAVE picked up side mobs before they gibbed people.
Our sentinel tank doesnt pick up Entropius a side tank does.
Yes there are void spawns up.
Warlocks enslave 3. I hold the other 2 with no problems whatsoever.
2pc works just fine. If i begin to add more it comes to the point where the intake of melee dmg from losing the stats is not worth the extra SR.
I have had sentinels spawn all in the same spot and ended up with 3 sets+ a sentinel nearby. Its not a wipe. You can live .
And how the heck are you ever losing voids to a shadowpriest if your consecration is down?
Ankh

Postby PsiVen » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:45 pm

If i begin to add more it comes to the point where the intake of melee dmg from losing the stats is not worth the extra SR.

Melee damage from the void spawns.............?

Or are you saying you intentionally take more damage from the spawns so that you can pick up whatever when another tank dies? This sounds like an absurd contingency. I cannot fathom what your strategy could entail that would allow you to pick up adds from the side door after a tank died and before anyone else did, then successfully DPS those adds with void spawns on you on track for a kill.
PsiVen

Postby Elsie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:02 am

HAVE replaced the tank until something else went wrong. HAVE picked up side mobs before they gibbed people.
Our sentinel tank doesnt pick up Entropius a side tank does.
Yes there are void spawns up.
Warlocks enslave 3. I hold the other 2 with no problems whatsoever.

I'm not doubting you're capable of doing the fight your way, but you are sacrificing survivability for a contingency that shouldn't happen if everyone gears properly to their role and executes their role well. Indeed, I state in the disclaimer there are multitudes of permutations to doing this fight, and having a side tank pick up Entropius is one of them. With the HP nerf, it could be possible to ranged nuke a berserker during a stun and whatnot, though kudos for taunting it before anyone died to a flurried dual wielder.

Still, your permutation of this, a general guide, is just that. I recommend the m'uru thread for that or perhaps posting about your permutation instead of something less constructive or false as "A little bit of false info. Some questionable tactics."
Elsie

Postby icydevarosp » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:19 am

My guild decided to put me on the entrance side, instead of down the hall. I am curious on what everyone thinks the benefits of the south side (kil'jaeden entrance) are compared to the north. I have never done the south side and I am curious if it is easier or harder. I know that I can't avenger's shield ever because the close proximity in which the mobs become "active" however, since they become active in a set spot I know exactly where they will be, instead of having the mage chain fire ball me and run down towards the end.

Other problem I am having is that my agro on the mage completly sucks compared to the bezerkers (as it obviously should), however it has gotten to the point where we are killing the mage last, so that our mages can spell steal the buff/counter spell and dps muru. I am currently running with two warriors and if they sweeping strikes/cleave and get a lucky(unlucky) crit string on the mage, the agro is theirs. However if they "back off" on sweeping strikes it seems like our side will not kill the adds within time.

My question is, will being on the opposite side make it easier or harder for me?
icydevarosp

Postby Ziv » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:04 pm

I was thrown on the door side this past night, so I registered in hopes of providing useful input. :P

There is time to throw a shield on the 1st mob through the door, the only problem is that it may not bounce, due to either the spacing of the adds or the force field at the door. Having a frost trap helps quite a bit and gives you room to back up to throw a shield. There will be times where new adds are coming and you'll have to skip on the shield to use your GCD to drop a fresh consecrate. Threat will be pretty poor in this case, so be ready to taunt or blow your wings. Killing the mage 1st is good for a Paladin's poor initial threat, since she can be interrupted, stunned, taunted, etc.

Dump your mana by spamming RF during cool downs or any downtime between packs. I also run into the fight with ~3k mana.

We killed mage, zerker, zerker, with a rogue, mage, hunter, hunter for DPS.

By the way, where's that marking macro at? :roll:
Ziv

Postby Lore » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:28 pm

I usually tank the door side. A consecration at the entrance will pick up all three adds immediately ~80% of the time. Sometimes one will run behind me for a split second, but immediately come back (which makes me have to turn to avoid getting hit in the back, but that's not hard). Very rarely do I actually have one run by and not come back; on average I'd say it happens once every two full nights of attempts for me.

There's really no need for sanctity aura or too much extra threat, especially post-nerf. DPS might have to be careful on the mage but should be able to go all out on the berserkers once the mage is down since you've been building off-target aggro on them the entire time.
Last edited by Lore on Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby PsiVen » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:29 pm

Dumping mana is pretty useless on this fight, as the power gain aggro is split between 7 to 18 mobs at any given time. I prefer to make sure I go into P2 with enough mana to do something useful.

I've now tanked the far door, spawns, and near door so far. Gotta say far door is my favorite because you can use AS and they still group at a fixed spot (it's just harder to find perfectly), near door adds have a tendency to run off if you don't consecrate before you see them running in. Also the melee group is much nicer than the side with less than 2 rogues because nobody has to tank the mage at all.

My MS warriors tell me it's better DPS to keep their Slam rotation going rather than Cleave, regardless of aggro. I'm not really sure about that, but I do know that you should get a disarm on your 3rd priority threat target if the warriors are Sweeping right off.
PsiVen

Postby Zx » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:02 pm

I think that my guild may be attempting the AoE strategy with 3 yes count em three protection paladins for the fight. 2 for doors and 1 for spawns.

I would probably have some crazy explosion in my pants if we could down the boss using this method.
"For no man lives long when his dreams are dead." - Gene Wolfe
Zx

Next

Return to Sunwell Plateau