Remove Advertisements

Leotheras

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Girard » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:38 am

Not sure if it has been mentioned.. but paladins DO have a bit of an advantage or at least something worthwhile to offer the raid for this fight.

For the transition out of the whirlwind, provided you have a boss timer, it's very easy to have your avenger's shield hit Leo just as he stops. That immediate snap aggro is enough to get him headed in your way so that you can start soaking his damage, rather than it hitting a healer who's just finished topping someone off. The trick is to cast it in the last 1s of his whirlwind... about 1000+pts of immediate aggro is enough to overcome any heal aggro generally.

Not exactly vital, since a MD from a hunter can accomplish the same thing.. but your hunters may be dead already/non-existant, while you at least are there for sure =).
Girard

Postby Lore » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:57 am

Girard wrote:Not exactly vital, since a MD from a hunter can accomplish the same thing.. but your hunters may be dead already/non-existant, while you at least are there for sure =).

You also would need 4 hunters with a misdirect rotation to accomplish it =)
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Oranniv » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:39 pm

Well, as to hunters that was an uncommon thing having all three present at once. Normally we have a maximum of two.

We can get to the 15% point, but after that is where I expect the greatest amount of learning difficulty considering how it went the other night.

Basically, as we approached the 15% mark, they were waiting for the inner demons to spawn. Once they spawned they'd knock him down to 15% and try to burn him down. What ended up happening after the split was Leo just WW'd the raid to death and we'd wipe around 6% or so.

I think I'm most frustrated just because they want me in tank gear for the fight, and they don't want me to really tank at all. I'm basically a body standing around not adding much to the dps in a dps fight. The only thing I do is a judgement and maintain concentration for the priests during the inner demon phase.

/shrug.
Oranniv

Postby neokai » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:54 am

Oranniv wrote:Basically, as we approached the 15% mark, they were waiting for the inner demons to spawn. Once they spawned they'd knock him down to 15% and try to burn him down. What ended up happening after the split was Leo just WW'd the raid to death and we'd wipe around 6% or so.

I think I'm most frustrated just because they want me in tank gear for the fight, and they don't want me to really tank at all. I'm basically a body standing around not adding much to the dps in a dps fight. The only thing I do is a judgement and maintain concentration for the priests during the inner demon phase.

I know that feeling, becoz my guild spent 2 days learning phase 3. =/

Once you reach the 15% mark, he splits in 2 after what the guys in guild love to call the "emo phase". If he goes emo during human phase, u can't do anything to him. However, if u bring him to 15% during demon phase, u have practically earned about 20+sec of free dps time. Just remind the dps guys not to refresh their dots.....

Phase 3 is practically a dps race with all tanks fighting for aggro, not just the MT. My guild goes into phase 3 with about 2 min to spare, but it's every bit as nail-biting becoz of the debuffs stacking on the warlock tank. Aggro resets every WW so having disciplined dps who knows when to stop dps is every bit as important as having tanks who save their threat skills for just after WW. Once you can get used to the andrenaline rush of having to rebuild aggro every 25 sec, you are pretty much set to nail this bugger's coffin.
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.
My warcraftpets profile here

neokai

Postby Saraphina » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:18 am

When my guild does Leo I'm the only tank on him, the others strap on dps gear and add what they can to the dps race. Theres a vid of me tanking him in the screenshots thread over in general. Not from my PoV but gives you an idea. Only real trouble is if AS misses and someone left a big dot on him.
Saraphina

Postby Lore » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:22 am

As I mentioned before, we treat the fight as one big DPS/threat race from start to finish. All the tanks try and pick him up, and whoever he happens to be targetting at the moment is the tank.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Eliane » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:43 am

[shameless plug]I posted a vid of me tanking SSC stuff in the tankadin video thread. It ends with a complete Leo kill, me tanking and my PoV [/shameless plug]

You might not like the music, just mute it, and I made it to show off palatanks for some friends. Dont take it too seriously :oops:
Eliane

Postby Cakes » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:01 am

Eliane wrote:[shameless plug]I posted a vid of me tanking SSC stuff in the tankadin video thread. It ends with a complete Leo kill, me tanking and my PoV [/shameless plug]

You might not like the music, just mute it, and I made it to show off palatanks for some friends. Dont take it too seriously :oops:

Funny thing is, I nearly confused that with me in the video, down to the spot healing a priest with an inner demon. Pretty surprised your fight went as well as it did, considering that priest and what looked like a resto shammy both had to be nuked after the first set of demons.
Cakes

Re: Leotheras

Postby Ownopotamus » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:52 am

Oranniv wrote:Hello, I've been reading the site now for about two weeks but finally registered today to ask a few questions.

Do you guys have any success stories or vids I can show to my guild leadership concerning the Leotheras fight?

We started working on him today and it seems they do not want to consider using me as a MT for this fight. I've brought up several times over the last few weeks in casual discussion that the boss would be best MT'd by a paladin and there just seems to be an unspoken drive against it.

It just seemed humorous to me listening to ventrilo tonight as they were trying to figure out a way for the warrior MT to be able to grab aggro better. On our first few attempts I was purposefully trying to hold aggro on him during WW and the officers made a big deal about it, including the RL saying "why does Oranniv have aggro instead of the MT".

They finally told me not to do anything during WW to let the MT get aggro, which is just sillymode raiding to me. He was putting on DPS gear to try and hold him too. Oh, out of the few solid attempts we made where I was working on holding aggro over the MT, we made it to 37%. Once I stopped and just basically was a judgement-bot we ended up having a wipefest because of a total lack of control on the boss.

Idk, I'm basically frustrated. The guild seems to hold a complete lack of understanding regarding how paladins work on so many levels it's a wonder I haven't gquit yet.

I fraps'd our kill last week of me solo tanking him. I could spit it all through divx and possibly youtube it if you'd like un-editted. Let me know.
Ownopotamus

Postby Warrender » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:56 am

Ownopotamus wrote:I fraps'd our kill last week of me solo tanking him. I could spit it all through divx and possibly youtube it if you'd like un-editted. Let me know.

Dooo eeeet...
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Postby Ownopotamus » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:57 am

Warrender wrote:
Ownopotamus wrote:I fraps'd our kill last week of me solo tanking him. I could spit it all through divx and possibly youtube it if you'd like un-editted. Let me know.

Dooo eeeet...

It might be pretty big but I'll just spit the raw footage out through Divx tonight and post it. I fraps in really high quality setting so I'm compressing like...10GB of footage lol
Ownopotamus

Postby benias » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:55 pm

So my uncle happens to be the MT of our guild, but he is not foolish enough to discount what i bring to raids. We havent downed this boss yet, but its not due to a tanking issue. Its just due to people being to retarded to kill their inner demons.
We started out this fight thinking that he would tank everything, and i would be there to seal+judge=repeat. What happened has been hilarious as he now doesnt even bother running after the WW since he knows i will bring it right back to the right spot. Also, i own at 19%. not even he can pull aggro off of me. Now if only i could teach people how to notice that they are getting attacked by demons.
benias

Postby Ownopotamus » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:46 pm

Ok here's the uneditted footage from our Leo kill this past weekend. Quality is ok but not the best because I tried to keep the file size down.

http://www.pulseguild.org/extras/LeoUneditted.avi

The upload should finish in about 30 minutes or so...I'll put on youtube tomorrow if you want as well.

I used XViD to compress it so you may need to download the codec which can be found here:

http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

I hope this helps you!
Ownopotamus

Postby Warrender » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:38 am

Ownopotamus wrote:Ok here's the uneditted footage from our Leo kill this past weekend. Quality is ok but not the best because I tried to keep the file size down.

http://www.pulseguild.org/extras/LeoUneditted.avi

The upload should finish in about 30 minutes or so...I'll put on youtube tomorrow if you want as well.

I used XViD to compress it so you may need to download the codec which can be found here:

http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

I hope this helps you!

Can't view this ATM because of the stupid work firewall. But I'll check it out as soon as I get home.
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Postby Ownopotamus » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:54 am

Warrender wrote:Can't view this ATM because of the stupid work firewall. But I'll check it out as soon as I get home.

Heh being the network admin has its privileges!
Ownopotamus

PreviousNext

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern