Tanking Classes Compilation for WotLK - Last update 17 OCT

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Holyfuri » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:44 am

Is it assumed now that we will be looking for rogue weapons? I personally believed, with what I have ready, that we would be sharing tanking weapons with warriors, with the only downside being the weapon speed difference.

Personally I think I would take a little faster weapon for less HotR damage and some good tank stats on a weapon over a slower weapon and no tanking stats.

Of course a dps weapon with a slow speed and straight attack power might be useful... maybe I missed it, has there been any math done on this yet?

Also, just found this so you can show crushing blow removal as confirmed for raid bosses....

Modal wrote:Blue confirmation on crushing blows being removed from raid bosses and requiring a difference of 4 or more levels:

Crushing blows used to apply to mobs 3 levels above you, which included most bosses. The change was to make them apply to mobs 4 levels above you. If you are running an instance of the appropriate level, you will not be crushed.

Crushing blows originally served a dual-purpose: they discouraged you from attacking mobs much higher level than you, and they made bosses more challenging. Now they only fulfill the first role. We have plenty of other knobs to make bosses more challenging that feel less random.

So nobody misses it this time:

Source: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=8557065994&sid=2000
Last edited by Holyfuri on Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holyfuri

Postby Levantine » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:48 am

Sartor wrote:Here is an article regarding the new mechanics: http://www.wowinsider.com/2008/07/30/ma ... d-on-beta/

In addition, could somebody from the beta confirm/decline this?

If it is wrong explained, please provide more info on the mana regen mechanics.

Maethoriel wrote:Nice compilation, a few things though:
Paladins

Shield of Righteousness: Care to give your source for the 3-5k innate threat of ShoR?
Also, if the player has 400 blockvalue, shouldn't he get 800er hits with 1200 or 1600 crits? (150% on crit vs. 200% on crit)
800 holydamage will translate to 1520 threat, plus an innate amount (with 3k beeing way to high).

Hammer of the Righteous: Again, where did those numbers for the innate threat come from?

I read them somewhere on the general forums, I am kinda busy finding them right now.

When I am back from work, I will look more. :P

For now I will just put a disclaimer that this needs to be verified.

The article is right, you just don't know how Mana regenerates now, by the sounds of it, and are misunderstanding what the changes mean. I won't clutter up the thread here, but PM me or another player who has a Holy Priest (sounds conceited, but holy priests kinda know more about mana regen than anyone save possibly arcane mages) to get one of us to explain it.
Levantine

Postby Sartor » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:00 am

Worldie wrote:REPORTED FOR STICKY

Oh, noez reported... ah, sticky THX :)

To the original topic. I fixed some numbers and added quotes from testers. :)

I would much appreciate if you run aggro test for Shield of Righteousness and Hammer of the Righteous.

TIP:

Required stuff:

1. One Prot pally
2. One DPSers (preferably with no aggro modifications. Keep in mind rogues have natural aggro redution)
3. One tough mob

Procedure:

1. Make sure neither you nor your DPSer has any seals, threat talents or other buffs active (Devotion Aura doesnt count :P), i.e. aggro modifiers.
2. Biatch-slap/Hammer the mob and turn off the autoattack (I assume it might be turned on when using these abilities)
3. Let the DPS start... uh, well, not bandage you... DPSing :P
4. When he draws aggro finish off the mob (I assume the mob would be still alive if it was tough enough)
5. Check the combat of the DPSer, sum up his threat and calculate the total threat generated. It is advised for him to use just auto-attack.
6. Calculate your base threat from the skill tested.
7. DO NOT FORGET: melee needs to be 110% of your threat in order to draw the mob off you, ranged is 130%.

Feel free to use your own procedure. ;)
Last edited by Sartor on Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sartor

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:08 am

Crits don't cause double threat. The threat per damage ratio on a normal hit is identical to that of a critical hit.
Summing up:
1: Slam
2: let the dpser pull
3: calculate the threat he generated
4: calculate the threat you had so his threat would pull
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Sartor » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:12 am

Snake-Aes wrote:Crits don't cause double threat. The threat per damage ratio on a normal hit is identical to that of a critical hit.
Summing up:
1: Slam
2: let the dpser pull
3: calculate the threat he generated
4: calculate the threat you had so his threat would pull

THX for the clarification :P
Sartor

Postby Blutreich » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:25 am

just for clarification abilitys with AP and AP coefficients, does it take witch ever is highest or both together?
Going to spend my cab money on more shots and just take the ambulance home
Blutreich

Postby Vanifae » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:27 am

Blutreich wrote:just for clarification abilitys with AP and AP coefficients, does it take witch ever is highest or both together?

Both together.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Sinnegorth » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:09 am

Great info - please keep this stuff coming.

I am already the MT of my guild but warrior tanks are in even more trouble with this new stuff...
Sinnegorth

Postby Sartor » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:49 am

Sinnegorth wrote:Great info - please keep this stuff coming.

I am already the MT of my guild but warrior tanks are in even more trouble with this new stuff...

They are getting new changes with the upcoming beta build, so they would laugh last. ;)
Sartor

Postby Sounder » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:16 pm

Sartor wrote:The Infected Wound reduces the movement speed by 10% and attack speed of the target by NEW 3%.

Source on the 3%?

Here's a tank-relevant update to Omen of Clarity:

OoC interal cooldown removed and proc rate upped from 2 to 3.5 ppm"
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... id=2000#23
"In the next data push, you will find Omen of Clarity has been changed a bit. The 10 second cooldown has been removed, the procs per minute has been raised from 2 to 3.5, and melee abilities no longer trigger it.

What this means is that more auto-attacks landing on the target will increase the benefit from Omen of Clarity. Haste, increased hit chance, and expertise will all make Omen of Clarity better."
Sounder - Druid - Shadow Council
Sounder

Postby Worldie » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:49 pm

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=48485

Just read the description

total of 15%, thus making thunder clap and JotJ better
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Sartor » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:50 pm

Sounder wrote:
Sartor wrote:The Infected Wound reduces the movement speed by 10% and attack speed of the target by NEW 3%.

Source on the 3%?

Here's a tank-relevant update to Omen of Clarity:

OoC interal cooldown removed and proc rate upped from 2 to 3.5 ppm"
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... id=2000#23
"In the next data push, you will find Omen of Clarity has been changed a bit. The 10 second cooldown has been removed, the procs per minute has been raised from 2 to 3.5, and melee abilities no longer trigger it.

What this means is that more auto-attacks landing on the target will increase the benefit from Omen of Clarity. Haste, increased hit chance, and expertise will all make Omen of Clarity better."

As a matter of fact I noticed that, but I didn't know if it would be good to post it before, but if you say so ok - it will really increase the TPS for the druids. :)

Anyway, thanks for the reference,

As for the 3% for Infected Wounds, just check the official calculator.
Sartor

Postby Maethoriel » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:35 pm

Sartor wrote:Here is an article regarding the new mechanics: http://www.wowinsider.com/2008/07/30/ma ... d-on-beta/

Ok, I've read the article.

Both energy and mana regenerate on a per second basis, rather than the previous ticks. Instead of a chunk of mana or energy every few seconds, you'll now see a steady trickle reappearing constantly at your bar

Like I said, you get one point of mana every fraction of a second. Just like in the linked video.
In one second it ticked like 7 times for one manapoint each, same with energy.

[..](outside of the 5 second rule for casters, of course).

Then the article explicit mentions that this holds true for caster outside of the 5 second rule.

And the last nail to the cofin
[..]Technically, I'm not regenerating mana any faster[..]

Therefore
Sartor wrote:Mana regeneration - the mana regenerates even IN-COMBAT. The 5 second rule is still there, just then the mana starts restoring at much faster rate.

Should read smth. like
Mana and energy regeneration was changed to regenerate one point mana/energy every fraction of a second, making it a more steady flow instead of a large chunk every 2 seconds.
Maethoriel

Postby Norrath » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:41 pm

Sartor wrote:ImageSurvival of the Fittest - Increases all attributes by 2%/4%/6% and reduces the chance you'll be critically hit by melee attacks by 2%/4%/6%. This possibly the most important of the changed talents, as it has had its contributions effectively doubled—making Feral druids crit-immune strictly from talents, assuming the chances to crit for bosses aren't changing.

While I'm somewhat flattered that you must have considered my article good seeing as you've stolen this straight from it, I'd prefer it if you'd actually credit me.

(The article in question is here, on TankSpot.)
Norrath

Postby Sartor » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:07 pm

Norrath wrote:
Sartor wrote:ImageSurvival of the Fittest - Increases all attributes by 2%/4%/6% and reduces the chance you'll be critically hit by melee attacks by 2%/4%/6%. This possibly the most important of the changed talents, as it has had its contributions effectively doubled—making Feral druids crit-immune strictly from talents, assuming the chances to crit for bosses aren't changing.

While I'm somewhat flattered that you must have considered my article good seeing as you've stolen this straight from it, I'd prefer it if you'd actually credit me.

(The article in question is here, on TankSpot.)

Added! Sorry, I read it somewhere else, I didn't know it.

I'd like to apology you.

Maethoriel wrote:Should read smth. like
Mana and energy regeneration was changed to regenerate one point mana/energy every fraction of a second, making it a more steady flow instead of a large chunk every 2 seconds.

Changed this as well for better clarification.
Last edited by Sartor on Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sartor

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK