Remove Advertisements

Minimum Avoidance in heroics

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Minimum Avoidance in heroics

Postby Rigz » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:42 am

What is the minimum avoidance you would suggest for heroics? At what point do you quit adding hitpoints to add avoidance if your only gonna be tanking heroics and not raid content. Thanks for your help, as I Heal in raids and respec afterwards to run heroics, due to lack of quality healers and an abundance of tanks.
Rigz

Postby ulushnar » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:43 am

40-45% as a start. More is good though.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby UMIO » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:54 am

does that include block if not it seems a bit high i run with about 35% and i have trouble keeping mana up
UMIO

Postby ulushnar » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:13 am

UMIO wrote:does that include block if not it seems a bit high i run with about 35% and i have trouble keeping mana up

No, it doesn't include block.

I'm talking about for someone with 10-12k health and 12-14k armor, which is the normal starting range for a heroic tank. Not for someone like you who's starting to outgear them, and who has about 50% avoidance in the gear in his armory. :P

Edit: Just so you can appreciate how little avoidance my 40% reccomendation is:

15% Dodge
15% Parry
5% base miss
5.4% miss from having at least 485 Defense/
=40.4% Avoidance.

This should be doable from rep/quest items and a few dungeon drops.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby caboom » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:56 am

I don't know the quality of ur healers but just for the safe side don't stack pure avoidance imho because of dmg spikes that can make ur healer panic and not heal u when it's needed. I for one consider the bare minimum avoidance whatever 470 def skill gives(considering i got the s2 weapon and shield) so that resi covers the rest till crit cap. For hcs i stack health and armor(usually at least 15k hp unbuffed health and close to 17k armor)
caboom

Postby Dendrah » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:15 am

Can you maybe tell us how you manage to get 15k hP and 17k armor considering never having touched anything but quests, rep and normal instances?

I'm around 43% avoidance and some 10k HP, 12k armor.
The SP and SH runs I did on heroics were nightmares. Without CC I got wacked in a few seconds basicly.
Dendrah

Postby ulushnar » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:20 am

caboom wrote:I don't know the quality of ur healers but just for the safe side don't stack pure avoidance imho because of dmg spikes that can make ur healer panic and not heal u when it's needed.

I dunno what quality of healers you run with, but the ones I tend to go with know to keep casting heals and cancel them at the last second if they're gonna be wasted.

The biggest myth about avoidance is it causes damage spikes that'll kill you. If you die to spike damage you either a) didn't have an appropriate level of effective health for the content or b) didn't have an especially on-the-ball healer. As long as you don't completely neglect EH, Avoidance will always give you the smoothest, most healer-boring results.

caboom wrote: For hcs i stack health and armor(usually at least 15k hp unbuffed health and close to 17k armor)

And I too would be interested in how you managed those stats pre-raid/heroics. You should write a guide!

(Edit: The stats you quote would make a T5 tank proud, so of course they're going to do well in a Heroic, you outgear them at that point.)
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics