Tidewalker: Out of tomb range????

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tidewalker: Out of tomb range????

Postby Trilynne » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:50 am

We tried Tidewalker Monday night with 2 pally tanks to pick up the murlocks, and our guild's MT warrior on Tidewalker himself. With 2 of us, it should have been a piece of cake... but it wasn't. Every single time he watery graved, one or both of us was taken. BUT I saw mentioned that there is a way to stay OUT of watery grave range??? Where is that? And why doesn't my GL know about this? :P
Last edited by Trilynne on Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Trilynne
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:47 pm

Postby guillex » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:56 am

There are two spots.

If the MT has him near the north hallway (the one leading to FLK), go down to the bottom-ish part of the ramp. You'll be out of grave range there.

The other is to have the MT tank him near the northeastern pillar, with you and your healer/grave healers by the northwestern pillar ... or just south of it.
Póg mo thóin
Image
User avatar
guillex
Moderator
 
Posts: 7490
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:32 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Postby Marwan » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:05 am

Here is a great video(by our own Jere) showing off that technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi9s_z9pNTk
User avatar
Marwan
 
Posts: 356
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 7:23 am

Postby jere » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:45 am

By the way, if you want to do the one where you pull him into the FLK hallways, but you are coming from the other hallway, you can sneak around the edge of the room as long as you hug the wall. Drainai/Tauren characters won't be able to sneak behind the control panel like the rest of the normal world, but they can hug the outside of it and still not aggro TW.

Also, if someone does manage to pull TW while doing this, just have everyone freeze. He will kill one or two peeps and then reset as long as people don't freak out and start healing/running/etc.
Image
User avatar
jere
 
Posts: 2967
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 5:12 pm

Postby Trilynne » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:29 pm

Wow! Great video! Thanks guys, think I know how to do this now. :D I can't wait to tell my guild leader!
Image
Trilynne
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:47 pm

Postby jere » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:08 pm

Another couple of notes:

1. Salve everyone but you and the MT
2. Have amplify magic, BoL, and Fel Armor on the warlock you are healing (no one else heals him/her but you)
3. If the warlock hangs close to the murlocs while AoE'ing make sure he/she doesn't lifetap too much until the bleed effect wears off or else they might accidentally kill themself.
Image
User avatar
jere
 
Posts: 2967
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 5:12 pm

Postby danyboy » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:34 am

Hello Tankadins.

Thank you for video, in this video paladin heal himself with full hp bar, i thought that overheal don't makes aggro. We tried Tidewalker last Friday, but there are issue with second pack of murlocks, which comes from side, im only one tankadin in raid. Can you advice me how to pick up second pack. This pack goes always on healers group, im healing warlock who life taping with fel armor, but isnt work for me, may be im doing something wrong.
Blessings, Dany.
danyboy
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:15 am

Postby jere » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:25 am

danyboy wrote:Hello Tankadins.

Thank you for video, in this video paladin heal himself with full hp bar, i thought that overheal don't makes aggro. We tried Tidewalker last Friday, but there are issue with second pack of murlocks, which comes from side, im only one tankadin in raid. Can you advice me how to pick up second pack. This pack goes always on healers group, im healing warlock who life taping with fel armor, but isnt work for me, may be im doing something wrong.


No, the paladin heals a warlock that is lifetapped. 3-4 Holy Lights will get you aggro on both packs over all the healers if they aren't chain healing or otherwise AoE healing. Overheals do not cause threat at all.

The warlock has fel armor, amp magic, and BoL on. Everyone but the paladin tank and the tank on tidewalker has BoSalv as well.
Image
User avatar
jere
 
Posts: 2967
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 5:12 pm

Postby Talwen » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:23 am

My guild had our first attempts on Tidewalker last night, and several wipes resulted as a consequence of me being tombed. Having watched Jere's video, I like the positioning you use and would like to try the heavy use of healing threat, but I'm wondering about topping threat from the other healers--we kept having one of our resto shammies eaten by murlocs. You mentioned that it's ok for other healers to heal during the pickup as long as it's not big AoE heals; should I request single-target healing only and tell the resto shammies to lay off while I'm grabbing murlocs? I'm also having a problem with other healers healing "my" warlock after lifetap, leaving me with no one to use for a heal sink, anything I can do about this other than threaten them with bodily harm?
User avatar
Talwen
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:50 am

Postby jere » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:38 am

Talwen wrote:My guild had our first attempts on Tidewalker last night, and several wipes resulted as a consequence of me being tombed. Having watched Jere's video, I like the positioning you use and would like to try the heavy use of healing threat, but I'm wondering about topping threat from the other healers--we kept having one of our resto shammies eaten by murlocs. You mentioned that it's ok for other healers to heal during the pickup as long as it's not big AoE heals; should I request single-target healing only and tell the resto shammies to lay off while I'm grabbing murlocs? I'm also having a problem with other healers healing "my" warlock after lifetap, leaving me with no one to use for a heal sink, anything I can do about this other than threaten them with bodily harm?


There should only be single target healing while you pick up the murlocs. No AoE heals, no chain heals, no multiple lifeblooms/renews.

After the earthquake, the only person that should be healed is the MT (well you have to heal the warlock obviously), which doesn't require chain heal or AoE heals. The rest of the raid can wait until the murlocs are in your consecration. There should be no raid healing until then, only MT healing.

Honestly with the healing the warlock problem, I had trouble with other people healing him until I started calling them out by name on vent. Scrolling combat text helps out here as does addons like grim reaper. If it caused me not to get the murlocs, then after the wipe, we discussed openly over vent why they did that (One time, with one of our druids, I literally had to ask him "why are you purposely wiping us? Do you want for us just to quit for the night and not come back?" because he would do it every attempt). Start out nice, but if people keep doing it, then start calling them out by name, and if that doesn't work, take it a step further and ask them why they want to sabotage the raid (a little harsh, but only used in the worse case).

This strat requires discipline, but once that is learned, it works beautifully.
Image
User avatar
jere
 
Posts: 2967
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 5:12 pm

Postby Trilynne » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:25 pm

We one-shot him Monday night, thanks to all this advice! I found it VERY easy to get aggro via healing, and if the lock didn't have enough health down for a heal, well, there was usually someone else in the raid who did! There was only one time when a couple decided the MT had more aggro than me, but I was able to taunt them off just fine. On that quake, one of my heals I think overhealed the lock by a bit, so that must have cut my aggro. None of the healers ever pulled off of me.

No tank ring dropped though. :/
Image
Trilynne
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:47 pm

Postby Talwen » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:37 am

Thanks so much for the tips and the video, Jere. We used this strat last night and got him down easily on the first try of the night. Only problem was warlocks not life-tapping in time for me to start healing, but that's easy enough to work on.

One remaining question: I found myself OOM a lot, even though I was chain-chugging mana potions. Even with SoW up, the murlocs were dying so fast I didn't get much mana off them. What do you do to keep enough mana for the heals and the consecrations?
User avatar
Talwen
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:50 am

Postby jere » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:59 am

Talwen wrote:Thanks so much for the tips and the video, Jere. We used this strat last night and got him down easily on the first try of the night. Only problem was warlocks not life-tapping in time for me to start healing, but that's easy enough to work on.

One remaining question: I found myself OOM a lot, even though I was chain-chugging mana potions. Even with SoW up, the murlocs were dying so fast I didn't get much mana off them. What do you do to keep enough mana for the heals and the consecrations?


As far as the warlock life tapping: He should be lifetapping as soon as the murlocs are down unless he got their bleed effect for some reason. Then he starts lifetapping as soon as the debuff disappears. He should be lifetapped and ready to go when the earthquake hits. Remember, if the warlock is down there with you, being out of tomb range means being out of earthquake range, so he can lifetap down to almost nothing and be safe while you are in the phase before the globules.

On OOM: I actually rarely had a problem with this. Typically my only mana consumption was 3 holy lights, a SoW, a Holy Shield, and 2-3 consecrates. The damage intake was enough to help fill my mana bar back up most of the time. I occasionally chugged a potion every once in a while, but it was more rare than common. I would suggest downgrading your gear some if you aren't getting enough mana back. Use spell dmg trinkets/rings/cloak perhaps. The spell dmg ring off of lurker is good for this as it has AC, spell dmg, stam, and resilience.

My general rotation was:
1. Earthquake Happens (warlock was already lifetapped before it did)
2. 3xHoly Light on warlock (I even had a focus macro set up so I could spam it)
3. First Consecration (2nd group arrives with 2 seconds to spare)
4. Seal of Wisdom while the first consecration is ticking.
5. Second Consecration (call for AoE as you start this one)
6. If I had plenty of mana, then I did a 3rd consecration if more murlocs were up. Usually 2 consecrations were enough though. Murlocs were dead or died shortly after.
Image
User avatar
jere
 
Posts: 2967
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 5:12 pm

Postby Victarion » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:20 am

I've never understood the reason for having a lifetapping warlock to heal. We always just had the palatank heal the raid to get healing aggro on the murlocs. The quake has just happened so everyone in the raid is at least 4k health down so there should be plenty of targets to heal. We never had any problems whatsoever on getting aggro on the murlocs.

We used the outranging tactic where we tank him right to the north towards FLKs room and the palatank down the stairs and all casters and healers on the edge of the stairs to be in LOS and range of both the palatank and tidewalker.
Victarion
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:02 pm

Postby jere » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:57 am

Victarion wrote:I've never understood the reason for having a lifetapping warlock to heal. We always just had the palatank heal the raid to get healing aggro on the murlocs. The quake has just happened so everyone in the raid is at least 4k health down so there should be plenty of targets to heal. We never had any problems whatsoever on getting aggro on the murlocs.

We used the outranging tactic where we tank him right to the north towards FLKs room and the palatank down the stairs and all casters and healers on the edge of the stairs to be in LOS and range of both the palatank and tidewalker.


It isn't necessary, but it simplifies it more. Having the same target always available to heal is nice. Not to mention, earthquake takes off a set amount of damage. Since overheal doesn't count as threat, it is better to heal a target with less health than what the earthquake provides. A warlock can lower his health even further, allowing you more "healing" room for threat generation.
Image
User avatar
jere
 
Posts: 2967
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 5:12 pm

Next

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest