Tanking Brutallus: Gearing for it, and surviving it.

Kalecgos, Brutallus, Felmyst, M'uru, Entropius, Kil'jaeden

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby PsiVen » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:18 am

Meh, it might suck if you tank Felmyst but it's saved me on skellies when stuff goes ugly. On Twins it has definitely saved my life several times, Sacrolash hits nowhere near hard enough to leapfrog unless you concrushive blown. The other death scenario is too many stacks of -heal%, only way to solve that is to take less damage.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Atreidies » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:23 am

PsiVen wrote:The other death scenario is too many stacks of -heal%, only way to solve that is to take less damage.

Or you watch your debuffs and run in a blaze patch for half a second.
[url=http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Turalyon&n=Bricksauce]Image
Image[/url]
Atreidies

Postby Worldie » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:33 am

PsiVen wrote:Meh, it might suck if you tank Felmyst but it's saved me on skellies when stuff goes ugly. On Twins it has definitely saved my life several times, Sacrolash hits nowhere near hard enough to leapfrog unless you concrushive blown. The other death scenario is too many stacks of -heal%, only way to solve that is to take less damage.

Sadly Corrosion 2shot and Confunding crushes are the only threatens for a tank on those encounters.

If you risk to die while tanking skellies, seriously get better healers :|
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Ankh » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:58 pm

Nice guide. Lots of information displayed with supporting information.
Ankh

Postby towelliee » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:05 am

Question my guild does not use Tankadins in this fight. So as a Ret paladin what consumables do you all think I need to survive the 6 minutes?
towelliee

Postby Worldie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:46 am

If you do it as retri, you will not take any damage. Mana pots, Haste pots and Elixirs of Demonslaying, that's all.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby towelliee » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:13 am

Ok so how would these consumbales go in timed order? For instance this is the rotation our mages were told:

1. 0:00- Flame cap/Destro pot/IV/Combustion/Skull
2. 0:20- Icon/head
3. 2:00- Mana Pot/Skull
4. 2:20- Icon
5. 3:00- Gem
6. 4:00- Nothing!
7. 5:00- Flame Cap
8. 5:20- Icon(Not skull yet)
9. 5:40- Skull, Destro/IV/Combustion

How would this work for Paladin using consumbales and trinkets and pots like example using your gear?
towelliee

Postby Worldie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:24 am

Boh, i just press my aw+trinket+haste pot macro when he's positioned, then i press it again when it's ready but this time i mana pot, and then i wait to trinket+aw until bloodlust at last 40 second or 20%.

That's about it, you can dps brutallus effectively by spamming 1 button and watch TV in same time.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby towelliee » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:32 am

Would it be possible to post your macro for it? The AW/trinket/pot thing
towelliee

Postby PsiVen » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:12 am

"Stuff goes ugly" implies that the healers have other things to worry about (such as half of them being dead). Our Twins strat doesn't leave much room for hopping in Blaze p1, pretty much if you don't get conflag or sear you will end up with a high stack.

Anyway just because AD doesn't guard against lolgib doesn't mean it's lackluster for those fights. In my experience it's extremely valuable in the majority of SWP.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Baelor » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:16 am

Worldie wrote:If you do it as retri, you will not take any damage. Mana pots, Haste pots and Elixirs of Demonslaying, that's all.

If you bring Elixirs of Demonslaying, bring Elixirs of Major Mageblood as well.

Dark Runes or Demonic Runes are also helpful for an extra surge of mana.

For each attempt at Brutallus, if you're ret and want to throw the kitchen sink at him, you'll want:
    2 Elixirs of Demonslaying
    1 Elixir of Major Mageblood
    1 Scroll of Strength V
    1 Scroll of Agility V
    2 Haste Potions
    1 Fel Mana Potion
    2-3 Dark Runes
That's the full-out, no-holds-barred, gotta-kick-'im-in-the-pants consumable read-out for a ret paladin. Enjoy.

EDIT:
For towelliee, my "BOOM" macro from memory, I think it is...
#showtooltip Avenging Wrath
/cast Avenging Wrath
/cast Haste Potion
/cast Berserker's Call
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Rena » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:39 am

Worldie, as for spell damage goes what range of spell damage would you say be great? Atm, i'm still unsure if i should use my hammer of judgement with mongoose or +40spell dmg... The mongoose with oil ill be at 516spell dmg, the +40 with oil ill be at 558.
Rena

Postby QuantumDelta » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:48 pm

Got you some info my dear worldie~

Brutallus doesn't miss (he has no dual wield penalty and he has a 5% base miss chance like all bosses -> sunwell buff = no miss).

Only misses come from Defence.

*based on WWS info over 3 wipe nights on meh guildz

*Wtb our full strength raid........for once. Just once.

We have him on farm but summer is raping our ability to produce stable raid setups and going with 5 Holy Paladins just doesn't work -.-
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Postby Worldie » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:41 am

Rena wrote:Worldie, as for spell damage goes what range of spell damage would you say be great? Atm, i'm still unsure if i should use my hammer of judgement with mongoose or +40spell dmg... The mongoose with oil ill be at 516spell dmg, the +40 with oil ill be at 558.

Tbh anywhere over 500 is fine. Really even as 0/61/0 paladins generate some ridicolous amounts of aggro on this fight.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Siryn » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:34 am

thanks for this information .. i have the pocket watch , but have not been using it - i suppose i tunnelvisioned thinking that the SI w/ its +hp buff and/or the Ancient Aqir Artifact w/ the +armor would be better choices.

Last night was our 2nd night of attempts and I was replaced by a feral as people bitched i was "taking a lot of dmg" , but , he died as much as i did .. so i'm not sure his higher armor was a deal breaker for us at least.

I had posted on the pally forums .. more a rant than anything because i was very frustrated - tps was not an issue... just getting a sense of "repair bills suck , lets throw a feral at the problem" . Someone suggested I grab the badges ring , which I did.. might also go with the badges cloak for armor.

I've been using Bloodberry Elixir + Elixir of greater defense(+500 armor) - should i switch to flask of fort maybe?
Siryn

PreviousNext

Return to Sunwell Plateau