Remove Advertisements

Discussion on Paladin Tanks in our Guild Chat

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Discussion on Paladin Tanks in our Guild Chat

Postby Naeldon » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:36 am

I'm going to post a discussion that took place on our guild channel. I'm going to remove the names but I wanted to post it because I wanted your take on it, since you're more experienced. I didn't get involved in the discussion. It started out with someone asking about ret Pally. I told him to try it out and if he didn't like it, to switch. Then Warrior2 said he didn't understand the point of Ret Pallys or switching specs since you were supposed to learn the way you play by levelling up.

Then Warrior1 made a remark about Pally Tanks.

[18:14:06][G] [Warrior1]: and pally tanks rock too

[18:14:29][G] [Priest1]: pally tanks are great at pulling agro from multiple units

[18:14:33][G] [Warrior1]: multi tanking they rock

[18:14:33][G] [Warrior2]: some fights yes, but some fights nope

[18:14:53][G] [Priest1]: in a fight with little cc..they beat warriors in my opinion

[18:15:09][G] [Priest2]: i get less aggro with pala tank

[18:16:17][G] [Priest1]: i have a 70 warrior..1 or 2 targets they are great...but a pally can hold agro more easliy against 4 or 5

[18:16:17][G] [Warrior2]: i can assure you i can take ANY pally tanks aggro with my rogue, harder with druid or warrior

[18:16:55][G] [Priest1]: true...but a warrior battles to hold agro on multiple targets when dps is high

[18:17:35][G] [Warrior2]: which boss is multiple targets? if you aiming for end game raids you dont considering how you will manage trash

[18:18:05][G] [Warrior1]: na not if hes a good tank and if the team works together but most of the time ppl over aggro and hit wrong targets

[18:18:06][G] [Warrior2]: pally can never tank Brutallus or Illidan, warrior and druid can

[18:18:09][G] [Paladin (not me)]: u still need to cope with the trash before the boss

[18:18:20][G] [Priest1]: well end game heroic instances...sometimes dps is pretty high with epic gear..and peeps dont watch there agro... so the adds leech off

My initial thought is that if he's taking aggro then he's either with a bad tank or he's a bad rogue. But I wanted your opinion.

Are we flawed in Brutallus or Illidan?
Naeldon

Postby ulushnar » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:38 am

Paladins have tanked both. On progression kills.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Naeldon » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:56 am

So basically he was talking rubbish? :D
Naeldon

Postby ulushnar » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:57 am

Naeldon wrote:So basically he was talking rubbish? :D

Yep.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:15 am

Also druids are going to eat shears on Illidan, since they can't hit the requisite 101.8% dodge/block/parry.

I bet your warrior doesn't even know the significance of 101.8%.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Melathys » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:16 pm

whats 101.8? Does illidan require less avoidance to hit uncrushable or something?
Melathys

Postby ulushnar » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:32 pm

Melathys wrote:whats 101.8? Does illidan require less avoidance to hit uncrushable or something?

Shear can't miss. Take out the miss component from 102.4 and you have 101.8.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:32 pm

It's the shear mechanic, go a lil down to BT forum :)

The skill itself cannot miss, and you cannot outrange it. It is possible to Intervene it but that's not really realistic, and anyway you don't want to rely on a Warrior, do you?
In order for us to not get hit by Shear, we will have to rely on Holy Shield, but in a particular way. You will need 101.8% block+parry+dodge in order be immune to Shear.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Melathys » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:00 pm

ah. yea, I'll likely never see illidan because I'm too much of a pussy to leave my guild (full of friends) for progression.
Melathys

Postby Wyleai » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:14 pm

There's a lot of envy between warriors and paladins...

In older guilds, or guilds with players who've been playing before BC, the warriors usually win because they used to be right, and people don't read their patch notes...

But start leveling a warrior, and you'll start meeting a lot of people who think warriors can't tank. You'll get to the see the other side of this envy war.
Wyleai

Postby Meliora » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:42 pm

Sad part is I've been seeing a lot of guilds lately entering SWP who are freaking out due to not enough warriors. I feel like no matter who you convince, prot palis are just not given the time of day.
Meliora

Postby spelltank » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:50 pm

Warrior 2 just seems like an idiot to be honest - expecting everyone to level up in the spec they plan to use at 70 is ridiculous, i mean, if you want to, great, but you cant expect every druid who wants to heal to go resto, and so on. I'd be willing to bet he didnt level as prot, or he's a dps warrior in which case his opinion about tanks is much less important.
He shouldnt hold anything against people for respeccing to level.

The fact that he thinks its easier for druids to tank illidan than paladins is just amazing. He just doesnt seem to have any idea what he's talking about.

PS - Is he a dps warrior/was a dps warrior? It would explain a lot
spelltank

Postby Worldie » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:05 pm

[18:16:17][G] [Warrior2]: i can assure you i can take ANY pally tanks aggro with my rogue, harder with druid or warrior

Quoting from someone else on those boards, "Any dps should be able to steal aggro from the tank. The skill is not doing it"
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Lore » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:21 pm

Yeah if your DPS can't pull aggro, they're slacking.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby moduspwnens » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:25 pm

He's wrong, but imo you need to remember some things:

- You offer an extra round of Pally buffs. He doesn't.
- You offer a judgement (Wisdom, +3% Crit). He doesn't.
- You can front-load threat. He can't.
- You can tank all bosses, but have a Warrior tank Morogrim adds / Hyjal trash / Felmyst adds. They cannot do it. So, who's needed more?
- You might do more overall threat than him.

I dunno, perhaps I just took more offense to it. He seems more ignorant than actually disrespectful. Keep those things in mind, though. Maybe the poster below me will add things to this list.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents