Remove Advertisements

Threat Scaling 70-80

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Threat Scaling 70-80

Postby Bobness » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:22 am

Not being in the beta but reading with avid interest...

I'm somewhat concerned (given the limited information avaliable) that our threat is going to be boosted significantly as we being our journey.

From my own perspective i'll probably have an additional > 300 spl dmg from talents + the 350 i'm already sitting on.

From what I can see as i replace gear it will mainly have only strength to replace Spl Damage as a "Threat stat"

This leads me to assume that my threat will start to tail off fairly quickly.

Given that we have not seen much gear yet from WOTLK. Does anyone else share these possible concerns ?
Bobness

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:27 am

Bobness wrote:From what I can see as i replace gear it will mainly have only strength to replace Spl Damage as a "Threat stat"

This leads me to assume that my threat will start to tail off fairly quickly.

I don't think spell damage will be a bad stat for us. I think most beta testers agree that Judgements and Seal of Righteousness scales off of both AP and spellpower. Consecration still scales only by spellpower.

Basically, I don't think your threat will be bad, I just think there won't be spellpower on our tanking gear, so your level 70 spelldamage gear will be replaced by STR gear on the way up to 80. I don't think there's any reason to believe that with an abundance of spellpower and no strength (starting at 70), that our threat will suffer.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Bobness » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:30 am

I was kinda thinking our threat will be Much higher at 70 than say 74
Bobness

Postby PsiVen » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:37 am

When was the last time you worried about threat in a 5-man? I haven't handed out salv outside of boss fights in over a year... Somehow I think we'll manage to get to 80 okay.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Bobness » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:45 am

Le sigh thnks Psi..

Was my question so stupid that it warranted such a pointless reply ?
Bobness

Postby Arjuna » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:56 am

My guess is that the closer we get to 80 the more str/ap we'll get and we'll be using fewer and fewer of our current tanking abilities and start using the new ones more and more...

You just need to balance the usage of your skills to maximise your threat with your current gear at that lvl...

I'll be starting off tanking as I do now...when ShoR comes into play I'll probably start switching out piece by piece for +str instead of +damage...

guess everybody needs to come up with a plan of their own that fits their tbc progress...I only have badge gear/t5 so I'll be switching mine out mid-70 something...
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby PsiVen » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:16 am

I don't think the question was stupid or the answer pointless. A lot of people seem to be worried about this, but in perspective it's really a non-issue. Leveling instances simply don't require the level of min-max that even nerfed TBC Heroics do, and Blizzard could have completely hosed our scaling without causing serious problems in this department. I think it's fair to say that threat will be ridiculous at 70, tail off until 75, and then get ridiculous again until DPS gear catches up with Shield Slap. Nothing to be too concerned about.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Chunes » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:22 am

I agree. I remember tanking BC 5mans up to lvl 66 or so still using SoW+JoW and the usual passive threat ala HS/Consec. We can start the in depth analysis of threat needs once we hit level cap and start to raise our gear up a little from leveling blues.
Chunes

Postby Bobness » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:31 am

Aye fair enough...I'm just hoping they don't scale back our threat because of how it will appear at 70
Bobness

Postby agamemnoch » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:00 am

Is nobody worried then that the sweeping brush of Blizzard will come in and at release, CHANGE our existing gear to fall into line with the stats they want us to have?

It would not be the first time they changed an existing piece of gear.
Armory Link Above
agamemnoch

Postby Vanifae » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:02 am

We can't even think about threat scaling until we understand how all our abilities work in this brave new world of Wrath of the Lich King.

Relax whatever happens this forum, this community will find the ways and why fors and all will be right in the world.
Last edited by Vanifae on Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Dorvan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:05 am

Agamemnoch wrote:Is nobody worried then that the sweeping brush of Blizzard will come in and at release, CHANGE our existing gear to fall into line with the stats they want us to have?

It would not be the first time they changed an existing piece of gear.

In programming, laziness is a virtue. It's way more effort to go back and reitemize a bunch of gear that no one will be using a couple months after release anyway than it is to simply let people grow out of that gear as they level.

In short....no, that's not keeping me up at night.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:11 am

Even if they were not lazy which I agree they would be, such a change would only occur after there were talents and mechanics in place to take advantage of it since it would be so large and sweeping.

These changes don't just affect paladin tanks they affect every paladin on every server in the game currently.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Ashmadai » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:58 am

Honestly if by the time I'm level 80 the only spell damage I have on my character sheet is the amount I get from the 30% of Stam talent I'll be a happy Paladin. Consecrate would still tick hard enough when necessary to hold all the mobs off the healers, and if all my gear was STR which in turn means SBV, my Shield Slam and Hammer attack would generate insane threat on top of judgements and I would never use consecrate unless the pull was larger than 3.

Of course if the fight requires actual AoE dps you might want to throw on spellpower weapon/shield, so I throw on my healing weapon/shield. Bam.
Ashmadai

Return to WotLK