Remove Advertisements

Divine Guardian

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Divine Guardian

Postby Dendrah » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:32 am

I don't really get the value of Divine Guardian as a tank.

Getting the shield up means we're immu to dmg so the mob will turn away form us. No good to lose aggro.

I use it for grinding where it is nice to get some dmg away from you but while grinding I'm mostly alone so the effect is useless again...

Only thing I might see it usefull for is this as Gruuls last growth or something where you want to take some dmg of your MT.
Dendrah

Re: Divine Guardian

Postby Tybalt » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:39 am

Dendrah wrote:I don't really get the value of Divine Guardian as a tank.

Getting the shield up means we're immu to dmg so the mob will turn away form us. No good to lose aggro.

I use it for grinding where it is nice to get some dmg away from you but while grinding I'm mostly alone so the effect is useless again...

Only thing I might see it usefull for is this as Gruuls last growth or something where you want to take some dmg of your MT.

It's a nice talent for off-tanking and for healers. Maybe even a ret/prot build.

Its a terrible talent for a main tank.
Tybalt

Postby Damoclès » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:44 am

I think it's purpose is to be an arena talent for a healing paladin.

-30% incoming DPS + wings at the same time can save some ass.
Damoclès

Postby Dendrah » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:44 am

Hm true... you could actually soak some damage on yourself while offtanking or healing. So it is basicly a "you get mana from your divine shield if people are kind enough to take damage and to heal you back up afterwards"
Dendrah

Postby Candiru » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:21 am

you won't take any damage as you are immune!

If you use hand of sacrifice at the same time, thats two 30% reductions on the target = 50% damage reduction.

If you use imp.lay on hands at the same time, the 50% extra armour + the 50% damage reduction will be a shieldwall.

Shame we can't use it on ourselves!
Candiru

Postby UMIO » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:31 am

Candiru wrote:you won't take any damage as you are immune!

i think we will take damage if we have this talent even thou it says ur immune
UMIO

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:50 am

I think any disadvantage of Divine Guardian (ie taking damage while bubbled) could be nicely offset if Blizzard buffed the duration of Divine Protection--8secs really isn't enough if it wants to be a valid alternative to Divine Shield rather than gathering dust in our spellbooks. Perhaps adding a duration increase into a talent like Sacred Duty would work (I'd suggest Guardian's Favour, but I don't think any of us want yet another useful talent to put points into...).
Or they could jsut add a third rank to trainer, but two longer-duration baseline immunities might be a bit much.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Candiru » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:33 am

Only Divine Protection shares a CD with Divine shield.

Its the same spell! they just changed the name with the higher rank, like the priest lesser/healing/greater spells.

Although I haven't tested to see if Sacred duty lowers the CD of divine protection as well. Probably not.

At the moment BoSacrifice spams you will "IMMUNE" messages if you bubble, this talent will presumably work the same way.
Candiru

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:57 am

Hmm. If they share cooldown then there's even less reason not to give a duration buff - assuming that Divine Guardian causes damage to the Paladin.
This is all for the sake of argument, of course; I actually assume the opposite, that the Paladin will remain immune. There are other classes which are getting talents along the lines of "when I use this buff, the party gets this related, smaller buff" (see Death Knight's Frost Aura), and I see Divine Guardian as being of that type (though of a more significant effect).
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Lore » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:29 am

It has been tested on beta servers, and the paladin does in fact take the 30% damage through the bubble.

I don't much like the talent. The only situation I can see it being useful is if a boss is going to cast a high-damage single target spell randomly around the raid. Otherwise, Hand of Sacrifice is significantly better for taking some damage off of one person. I don't see it useful for absorbing some huge raid-wide damage intake, especially since both Rest Druids and Holy Paladins have been given ridiculously good AOE healing abilities in WotLK.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby innorton38 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:37 am

Hmmm so for two talent points, I gain a situationally useful effect that completely kills the power of my bubble to let me avoid AoE effects. I think I'll pass unless they do a major rework on this puppy.
innorton38

Postby DeadMilliken » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:55 am

Lore wrote:It has been tested on beta servers, and the paladin does in fact take the 30% damage through the bubble.

Ewwww
In 25man
3000 raid damage would kill most prot pallies using this.
(1500 would kill most ret and holy)

This now becomes a horrible skill to use even when you think its good...like hexlord. Everyone's still is taking damage...only you are taking substanially more and need someone actively heavy healing you instead of aoe healing the raid.
DeadMilliken

Postby Lore » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:56 am

DeadMilliken wrote:This now becomes a horrible skill to use even when you think its good...like hexlord. Everyone's still is taking damage...only you are taking substanially more and need someone actively heavy healing you instead of aoe healing the raid.

Exactly. Especially when you consider the new Druid and Paladin AOE healing abilities. Pretty much any time you can use this ability, you shouldn't.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:03 am

Lore wrote:
DeadMilliken wrote:This now becomes a horrible skill to use even when you think its good...like hexlord. Everyone's still is taking damage...only you are taking substanially more and need someone actively heavy healing you instead of aoe healing the raid.

Exactly. Especially when you consider the new Druid and Paladin AOE healing abilities. Pretty much any time you can use this ability, you shouldn't.

That sucks, too. I remember reading it for the first time and thinking, "This is awesome!" Oh well.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Lore » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:20 am

Well, I should mention I'm thinking primarily of 25-mans here. I could easily see it being a great 10-man or even 5-man talent.

In other news, holy crap the Holy 51-point is beastly.
Lore
Global Mod

Next

Return to WotLK