Remove Advertisements

I'm ready

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby dmok » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:34 pm

WATERBOYsh wrote:I have played with some awful hunters and some really good ones. I can't help but wonder if those results are skewed based on the fact that hunters are the most played class and there are a ton of people that don't know how to properly play them and trying to do arenas. Maybe those numbers just mean that there are less good hunters than there are good priests or warriors or whatever... idk. I've never actually done arenas. I don't want to repec my pally and I just suck at pvp on my mage.

Don't look at the % then. look at the numbers in that list. Out of something like 7000 2v2 players, there are 225 hunters and a similar number of paladins. Neither are really well suited for high level arena play for the most part.
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby Kelaan » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:02 pm

Hunters pretty much only have a few comps that work well (druid+hunter, or discpriest+hunter) at high levels. Past a certain point, it's all about the mana drain game, because you can't burst people enough with high resilience. (And, everyone follows you around in melee range so it's hard to shoot them.)

At lower ratings (and I mean like 1400 or less, now that resilience is so common), you can do decently with hunter+cluefulplayer. For almost any other class, a hunter is a worse teammate than most other things -- unless you're building a drain team.

Good luck, read Megatf's guide, etc.. but you're in for some challenge. :) Farm up honor gear, so that you have some resilience.
Kelaan

Postby Spiggless » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:02 pm

Keep in mind that Blizzard said sunwell is the last content patch. Would they make us wait until Christmas for more? LOL OF COURSE THEY WOULD!!! This is Blizzard we're talking about.

Though I have to be hopeful that it will come in the October-November range.
Spiggless

Postby Manius » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:40 am

The ranged classes are generally considered to be somewhat less effective in arenas due to the whole LoS thing, but frankly people just like to whine. I've done alot of BG's on my mage, and some Arena, and thought the class sucked in PvP (esp. against rogues and warlocks). I rolled a rogue, leveled to 70 and hit the arenas and BG's... and got my ass handed to me by some really skilled frost mages. I then simply realized that I suck horribly at PvP.

Same goes for hunters. Their mana-draining and interrupts, not to mention their godsdamned pets, means they can function very well in arenas.

I will however admit that these classes are more likely to do well in 5's rather than 2's and 3's, where a mage is more likely to get several spell cycles uninterrupted. Kickback is just too much of a problem for mages and if kiting fails they die horribly.
Manius

Previous

Return to WotLK