Tanking Brutallus: Gearing for it, and surviving it.

Kalecgos, Brutallus, Felmyst, M'uru, Entropius, Kil'jaeden

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Worldie » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:24 pm

I'd point that to a officer and ask them to tell them to respec.

That said, we had only one kill with me + druid. That time, our DPS war specced arms and basically worked as debuffer, giving CS to me and the druid, and keeping up demo, tc and sunders. Every other kill has been either me + war or druid + war.

However, you don't even need a DPS war to keep up sunders: a rogue can spec Imp EA, effectively providing MORE dps boost than Sunder Armor x5.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby fiorina » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:21 pm

Worldie wrote:A valid argument you can use is that you actually produce 6-700 DPS while tanking, about 2x any other tank. That + the bubbletaunt to buy time is a strong argument if you have troubles killing him before the enrage.

Actualy ferals do close to 1000DPS with enough expertise and armor ignore gear. 700DPS as paladin seems way too high. And no, 40/21 is not good example of build for Brutallus considering the gear level of guild attempting him.
http://www.wwsscoreboard.com/raid.php?l ... s=971-1255

Regarding reasoning. It's not like we have some major advantage unless other tanks are undergeared or never heard about how to produce enough TPS. Our advantage is very good threat even in crappy gear, our disadvantage is taunt resist handling - it's going to happen and you are going to wipe few times, believe me.

They wanna tank it, just let them, who cares. If you think long Don Quijote fight with your guild worth the hassle, go for it...
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby fiorina » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:34 pm

PsiVen wrote:It seems that if you target the other tank with your taunt, it will work even if Brut is targeting someone else for Burn.

I doubt. Same mechanic on Kalecgos demon doesn't work like this if he targets someone for CoA.
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:20 pm

fiorina wrote:Actualy ferals do close to 1000DPS with enough expertise and armor ignore gear. 700DPS as paladin seems way too high. And no, 40/21 is not good example of build for Brutallus considering the gear level of guild attempting him.

I know, that's why i recommended Ardent Defender.

Last Brutallus i did about 610 DPS but i slacked a bit on skills and often ended with 3-4 seconds of doing nothing cause i couldn't be arsed clicking buttons, i'm pretty sure i can get 700 if i get a hunter or two in my group who doesn't die midfight and i don't fail on cooldowns and keeping oils up.
(my dps is visible in the chat)

I know druids can do nice DPS but they shouln't be sacrificing avoidance for that.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Io.Draco » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:32 am

Mhhh I brought the warrior argument to my raid leader and the threat and dps argument and he would not listen , lovely , I think ill fuck this guild already
Io.Draco

Postby Zx » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:09 pm

Io.Draco wrote:Mhhh I brought the warrior argument to my raid leader and the threat and dps argument and he would not listen , lovely , I think ill fuck this guild already

Unfortunately I'm starting to come to that point with my GL who is also our MT and RL. Other folks seem to be more understanding and hopefully I can sway their opinions.
"For no man lives long when his dreams are dead." - Gene Wolfe
Zx

Postby Io.Draco » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:56 pm

Zx wrote:
Io.Draco wrote:Mhhh I brought the warrior argument to my raid leader and the threat and dps argument and he would not listen , lovely , I think ill fuck this guild already

Unfortunately I'm starting to come to that point with my GL who is also our MT and RL. Other folks seem to be more understanding and hopefully I can sway their opinions.

If he wants to fuck you up , fuck the guild a raid where you are realy needed ( risky but fuck it the only way I got a promise for a raid spot ) , if he doesn't realize he can't just screw around with your like some little dog and he needs you for felmyst and shit , just leave the guild
Io.Draco

Postby Worldie » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:07 pm

Leaving a Sunwell raiding guild isn't exactly a wise move, unless they literally carry you only for Felmyst.

However, if they just don't let you tank Brutallus cause "no", without providing a reason, then you got a problem.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Joanadark » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:39 pm

set foot in sunwell for the first time today.
MTed Kalecgos and Brutallus both.

Brutallus kill was flawless. Textbook. The best kill my new guild had ever had. Beat the enrage timer by over 45 seconds, where they'd never done better than around 5 seconds before. Threat was through the roof.
That's gotta be one of the more scary fights for a tank that I've yet seen.

Thanks Worldie.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby PsiVen » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:46 am

Nice Joana :) Definitely a unique experience taking so much damage. I've watched my own kill video a dozen times because it's as intense as Flame tanking without all the stress/pressure.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Stilgarr » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:23 am

Worldie

Ok i'm no where near Brut sadly but whats the 40/21 build like for lower gear levels ? or is it one of those specs that really begins to shine once your fully BT+ itemised ?

Been working pretty hard on this bloke and looking of rways to increase threat ect so that I dont limit our DPS guys on stuff too much.

(chest and hopefully libram getting swapped in the next day or two)

sorry for the off topic part, just trying to get as far as I can as fast as possible before wrath appears.
Stilgarr

Postby Worldie » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:07 am

40/21 i don't recommend using. Threat goes through the roof, yes, but unless you can effectively survive encounters without AD (Which is lackluster in Sunwell, but effective before it), you should go with AD.

If you are in T4 and run with T6 dps, that's different story tho

Psiven wrote:Nice Joana Smile Definitely a unique experience taking so much damage. I've watched my own kill video a dozen times because it's as intense as Flame tanking without all the stress/pressure.

It's like going on the railway and pretending to stop a train.
Last edited by Worldie on Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Stilgarr » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:31 am

Fair point thanks for that m8.

Might give it a tickle after an upgrade or 3 on some of the more farmed content.
Stilgarr

Postby PsiVen » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:25 am

Worldie wrote:without AD (Which is lackluster exclusively on Brutallus, but effective before it),

Fixt. Choo choo!
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Worldie » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:49 am

It's lackluster on felmyst and twins too :)

Can't say about m'uru and kj, but it's close to useless on the 2 above.

Worldie
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to Sunwell Plateau