Remove Advertisements

After all the buffs, I can't help but feel a sense of loss

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

After all the buffs, I can't help but feel a sense of loss

Postby Kitsuna » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:26 pm

A lot of the fun for me as a prot paladin was being the underdog. I remember being told I could never tank Herod, then that I could never tank BRD, outland, kara etc. etc. Each time I succeeded it was proof that hard work and creative thinking could get the job done.

We had problems of course, and they have been fixed steadily. Acceptance grew patch by patch, until finally in 2.3 I think almost everyone was convinced we were a solid tank choice. Less and less I had people tell me we couldn't tank, and in some cases we were the preferred tank.

Looking at wrath, I am pretty confident we will be a solid tank choice under any circumstances. I think we could well be playing an expansion where who tanks is merely a matter of taste, and we are well equipped for any of the challenges. It is going to be an exciting new time. It is one I look forward to.

All the same, I feel a sense of loss.

It seems that gone are the days of wow newsites posting articles of paladins successfully tanking X instance, with half the comments saying it must be fake. Maybe the days are past where we have to rev up tankpoints and hunt down pieces of gear from across outland in order to reach uncrushable and even hope to be successful. And maybe the days have come and gone of collecting 60 pieces of gear and mix and matching them to hold on to 490 defense while maintaining decent threat.

But you know, I already kinda miss those days.

They were inspiring times when tankadins with 10.5k posted here to get encouragement from the paladins with even less hp who had tanked kara. They were good times when we first heard paladins were tanking 25 man content and making a legitimate contribution. They were unforgettable times when we got the buffs we so much needed, and patted each other on the back as we got 10% hp buffs and a useful ardent defender. After fighting so long and hard for it all, I feel sort of like a rebel without a cause now that tank parity is upon us.

In lots of ways, I think they days of us being the outcast tank and the underdog are gone. I think we have bright future ahead of us, and I'm glad we have arrived at where we are. But I think I'll always look back at the beginning days of paladin tanking with fondness, gratitude, and just a touch of loss.

But then again it might just be me.
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded. -DoW
Kitsuna

Location: Burn the Heretic. Kill the Mutant. Purge the Unclean.

Postby Worldie » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:34 pm

R.i.P. to the "Paladins can't tank".
My first tanking, SO much time ago... crittable, crushable, with a normal weapon (i realized by myself later that a spelldamage weapon would have been "better", i didn't even know maintankadin existed :) )

Whole Boulderfist still asked me "for real?" when i said i tanked our Illidan kill :)
Ehhh i remind the first thing i said on vent was... PALADINS CAN'T FUCKING TANK!
Well, there's nothing more to experience now, TBC is at the end.
We already shown we can tank, and we can tank everything, and something better than everyone else.
Who knows what WotLK is preparing for us...
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Dapaladin » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:42 pm

I'd just like to point out that pallies being better tanks in WotLK makes sense lore-wise (not the person lore :P). Pallies after all are the ones who are supposed to be purifiers or evil and going up against arthas the corrupt paladin turned death knight just makes sense.... at least to me.
Dapaladin

Postby Vanifae » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:45 pm

Frankly I am happy, fuck the old days.

I never needed to be special to play this game, I just like paladins, big armor, huge shields, and being the defender of my friends.

I don't need to be a special duckling that will blossom into a swan.

I just want to kill stuff and take its loot and feel cool doing it.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Dorvan » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:49 pm

I for one certainly relate to the sentiment. I guess I've got a bit of a thing for figuring out how to make less well-known specs work. Switching to a Death Knight in WotLK would be the obvious next step, but they're going to be very FotM regardless.

For folks who like playing up-and-coming-but-still-fringe classes, my current best bets are probably PvE Disc Priests and Balance Druids.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Io.Draco » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:03 pm

Ah it was like yesterday that I made this sexy looking read head paladin , and leveled her as a tank , from SFK till SWP , its been one year and a half of hard work , many insults , laughs and stuff from other people and shit

but I would do it 1000 times again if I had the chance , ill never forget the day they fixed holy shield , the day I tanked nightbane , the day I tanked maulgar and gruul , the good days of SSC and TK , the zerging of MH , the battle of black temple , up to illidan himself , where I was the FIRST prot pala SERVER wide to tank him on progression kill ( might be any kill actualy don't know for shure )

I would like to thank Zoe for prot pala guide on gearing and playing
Iloveari for the first aoe leveling guide as pala <3
Linadillar for his awsome movie about paladin tanking in a time we where losing hope in ourselves

And ofc this forum and people :D
Io.Draco

Postby Worldie » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:07 pm

Io.Draco wrote: up to illidan himself , where I was the FIRST prot pala SERVER wide to tank him on progression kill ( might be any kill actualy don't know for shure )

Brother!

Btw, back then, prot paladins were rare...

I was yes as well the first prot pala to main tank Illidan... but i was actually also the only raiding prot pala on the whole server.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Spiggless » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:08 pm

I was tankadin racist back when I played warlock at TBC release. Up until I rolled paladin I never liked a pally tanking for me. Now when I get on my affliction warlock I actually can't stand anything to tank BUT a paladin. When I was leveling I was in a scrub leveling guild that I got in a huge argument of warr vs pally. It was like 50 on 1, I got gkicked for fighting (I bet the GM was racist). Funny thing is that most of the people I was arguing with never made it passed Karazhan.

We take this game seriously...
Spiggless

Postby Jaydin » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:21 pm

aye - as one of the leaders of the be pally charges on my server (first one to 23! i was the first blood elf with seal of command!), i totally have some nostalgia for the days "so what blessings you want?" "uhhh, whats a blessing?" "soooo paladin's are supposed to tank?" etc. but i do have to say im glad the fight is (mostly) over. i can without a doubt tank 90% of the bosses in WoW without a second glance, and if i really wanted to im sure i could eek out that last few (i dont even want to think about mother...no thanks she doesn't count). got a handful of people who dont want to spend a repair bill or two of me doing archi and still have a stubborn few who would rather me on the flames than archi himself.

I used to be the premier pally tank "go to" guy for hordeside (as baelor was for alliance on runetotem). im happy that altho some people still ask me questions, a lot of people have discovered this place, have surpassed me in gear and experience, and we as a class and spec have gotten to the point we are at now. we'll be undisputed come wrath, and i'm kinda happy i can sit back and enjoy the ride. ive spent my fair share of time proving myself...i was tanking on my druid before druid tanks were cool, and then i did it again on my pally. ive gotten a warrior to 67 (and he'll hit 70 before wrath MARK MY WORDS) and ive tanked on him a bits as well. now just comes the decision of if im going to dive into DK tanking? or stick to pally...im leaning towards the latter (since everyone's gonna roll a dk starting at 55...i was the masochistic one racing from level 1), altho i do count on having a deathknight by some variation of the name "jaydin" tanking soon enough

edit: hehe reading some of the posts made after i started typing (curse my afk breaks) i remember being asked in for the first progression kill of tidewalker for the 2nd most progressed hordeside guild...being the only horde prot pally that "didn't suck". i loved hearing the number of people who i apparently changed their minds that pallies can indeed tank. not to mention a handful of tanks that literally rerolled after seeing me faceroll >-> <-<
Jaydin

Postby Io.Draco » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:36 pm

Spiggless wrote:. Funny thing is that most of the people I was arguing with never made it passed Karazhan.

We take this game seriously...

Similar thing did happen for those I was arguing in my first guild , now its funny to watch their armories with their crapy tier 4 guild , while im sitting here in the best gear from mh/bt ( WTB THOSE FUCKING BOOTS BTW ) and some SWP gear , the one who laughs last laughs best eh? :D

Brother!

Btw, back then, prot paladins were rare...

I was yes as well the first prot pala to main tank Illidan... but i was actually also the only raiding prot pala on the whole server.

Heh on my server we had at least 2 more prot palas in guilds that had killed illidan , they have not yet tanked illidan to my knowledge ...
Io.Draco

Postby Vorps » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:38 pm

At least we got to be a part of the era in which Protection Paladins bloomed.

I still end up tanking for guilds/groups that have never seen a good Paladin tank in action and just make them dumb-founded. Like, tanking entire packs (or two) in BT and you can just hear jaws dropping on vent.

WotLK is going to most likely be the end of being something out of the normal. No more pushing against the grain and shocking people with what Paladin tanks are capable of doing. It was only a matter of time.

I empathize with your feeling of loss. It was fun taking a broken and unused spec and making it something special. It was fun to stand out. But we can be proud that we've all helped Paladins become part of the game where they're looked at as primary tanks.

Not only that, but look at Ret... it's shaping up to be even more insane than Protection, and even Holy is getting in on a lot of action. We may be losing our feeling of uniqueness, but that's only because our specs are becoming worthwhile. I'd say that's plenty a fair trade off.

We had our days, and those will never be lost. There may be a zillion new Protection Paladins running around come WotLK, but it will never take away what we had. It's a brave new world, one in which Paladins tanks will be balanced. This is a good thing.

We made the cake and now we get to eat it too. Be glad for that, it isn't often you get to take part in something like Protection Paladins coming into their own. In a game where your options are limited and you play with millions of other people, the only thing that truly makes you unique is ironically the same for everyone, and that is who you are. Embrace the experience we've had and be glad things are moving forward.

We may no longer be oddities come WotLK, but we will be accepted. There's no better way to stand out than filling the shoes of a primary tank, and in WotLK that's what we will be looked at as; in equality. I say, it's about time.

There will still be plenty of ways to push the envelope playing on footing equal to our counterparts. I'd say it will even be more glorious than before, due to our spec balance making the opportunity to play as a top tank completely accessible to anyone playing the class.

(Plus Kitsuna, you'll now have people begging you to play Ret. You must have some giddiness about that. ;p)
Vorps

Postby HiImRagnos » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:44 pm

Yea, there was a time when i was THE only prot pally in kara gear+. Those were the good days. The amount of paladin tanks now suprisingly dosnt make me happy though , yet it does because people are becoming less racist. =/

From the good ol' days when i was one of the only successful paladin tanks(Mt'ing kara was huge for my server at the time, seeing as how me and one other paladin had done it. too bbad i lost, the ss's when i reinstalled)

First astromancer kill

Guilds progression ZJ kill (Me as Mt)

Alar kill

yes as much as i hate to say it, TBC will be missed by me.
I hate double stamina trinkets.
HiImRagnos

Postby Atlas » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:29 pm

Dorvan wrote:
For folks who like playing up-and-coming-but-still-fringe classes, my current best bets are probably PvE Disc Priests and Balance Druids.

As a Raid Leader, I always have at least one Discipline Priest for MT healing. Their Pain Suppression is irreplacable. It's great for heavy-hitting parts of the fight, and to get the healers caught up if they fall behind.
Atlas

Postby crabcrouton » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:37 pm

It's more exciting to build something than to maintain it incrementally but honestly, the real challenge is to make something worthwhile rather than bask in the glory of proving naysayers wrong.
crabcrouton

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:46 pm

Vanifae wrote:Frankly I am happy, fuck the old days.

I never needed to be special to play this game, I just like paladins, big armor, huge shields, and being the defender of my friends.

I don't need to be a special duckling that will blossom into a swan.

I just want to kill stuff and take its loot and feel cool doing it.

Agreed 100%
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Next

Return to WotLK