Remove Advertisements

Guarded by the Light change

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Mana efficiency

Postby Briana » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:58 pm

I find the change to the talent much more desireable than it's current version. Frankly I'm tired of percentage based talents and skills and I would much rather have the consistency that goes along with a flat reduction.

In addition, this talent would now help you out MUCH more in a offtanking situation when you are not taking the blows.

All around it's a buff and something we should embrace.

With two new threat spamming skills on a short cooldown and watching other players for the proper time to apply your hand spells you'll have plenty of things to do. I don't want to spend my time watching my buff bar for an additional icon when I can be focusing on positioning or stray mobs.
Briana

Postby AutomaticZen » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:01 pm

Fridmarr wrote:I'm not sure the increased damage intake will cover it to be honest. We have a few more abilities we'll have to spam to stay up on threat, especially if we need to work AS into the rotation. A pull using AS+HS+Seal+Judge+ShoR+HoR+Cons starts us off in a bit of a hole.

From my playing around so far in beta, mana is a precious thing, but I don't have a sense for the SA intake or the effects of JoW/BoW/AB in a raid environment either.
The other major factor is that we're still guessing at how much damage will be flying around at lv 80, both in 5-man content and in raids, which is ultimately what we're talking about if top-rank spells are being considered. Do we even know what base manapool sizes will be at 80, assuming even 0 int?

Also, it sounds like paladins may actually have enough attacks that it becomes mandatory to prioritize what they want to do rather than simply firing everything, such as skipping the single-target abilities for AE'ing or consecration for single-target tanking. Where warriors are limited primarily by the GCD on what their actions are, the paladin's limitation being mana would be fairly logical and retain some of the more "laid back" atmosphere of tanking that players have attributed to the "paladin class flavor."

-Splug[/quote]

Well I doubt we'll have much more mana at 80 without int on gear than we did at 70 with it. Even factoring in more powerful buffs. However, I think our core skills are going to be low in cost, assuming that they are Judgement, Holy Shield, ShoR, and HoR. For instance on my level 70 dwarf, 6% of base mana seems to be about 177 mana. That's pretty cheap, and I don't think it'll be much more by level 80, maybe like 250 mana or so. So each rotation with those skills and we are spending about 20% of our mana pool, which isn't too bad really.

Consecrate and AS are our big mana sinks, if we aren't required to keep them up full time against a single target to hold aggro, then it's fine. In AoE situations, you'll still have an ability to tab->Judge, tab->ShoR, tab->HoR to spread threat around on a more active basis, along with downranked consecrates and holy shield. My gut is telling me it should work, and even be a bit more fun than just lol consecrate spam.[/quote]

Ah. That's the part I was missing. Most of our spells are now a percentage of mana cost. So even if we're lacking Intellect, we'll still be able to cast our spells.

So a smaller mana pool would actually beneficial, since SA gives back depends on the size of the heal. Smaller mana pool, big heal, SA fills us back to full.

Interesting. Only spells like AS and Consecrate would be a problem. Perhaps they should make those percentages as well?

We'd still possibly need some other way to regain mana back in 5-Mans, as Wisdom won't work since it also is dependent on base mana percentages.
AutomaticZen

Postby Dorvan » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:03 pm

AutomaticZen wrote:Ah. That's the part I was missing. Most of our spells are now a percentage of mana cost. So even if we're lacking Intellect, we'll still be able to cast our spells.

So a smaller mana pool would actually beneficial, since SA gives back depends on the size of the heal. Smaller mana pool, big heal, SA fills us back to full.

Interesting. Only spells like AS and Consecrate would be a problem. Perhaps they should make those percentages as well?

We'd still possibly need some other way to regain mana back in 5-Mans, as Wisdom won't work since it also is dependent on base mana percentages.

I've said this before a few places, but once again: spells with %-based mana costs are a fixed % of your base mana. That's your mana pool naked, unbuffed, and I believe untalented. In other words, increasing the size of your mana pool through anything but leveling does not increase the cost of such spells.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to WotLK