Professional perks

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Tycho » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:12 pm

Arjuna wrote:I don't get why people are complaining about the sunwell engineering stuff, those helmets are at t6+ lvl and ofc is available to those that are at that content. Blizzard has to do stuff like that to keep people using the professions.

What made the v1 goggles worthwhile is that you could acquire them before ever raiding. This is just like the tailoring patterns sets, pally/war BS boots, first 2 levels of weaponsmithing, etc.

Restricting the v2 goggles to Sunwell is pointless, as you'll have equivalent or better gear already or very soon. Would have been better to at least put them in T5 content, IMO.
Last edited by Tycho on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US > Thaurissan > Snowblood (80 BE Pally - For the Horde, baby!)
Tycho

Postby jere » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:13 pm

Ulushnar wrote:Mining is +35 Stamina, which is the same as two green stamina gems, or just less than one Epic gem. It's not a massive advantage.

Actually, the "normal" epic gems are 30 stam. Perhaps you are thinking on the unique-equipped JC BoP gem?
jere

Postby Dragonzbane » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:22 pm

halabar wrote:So basically, if you aren't in Sunwell, engineering is useless once WoLTK hits.

I'm concerned here about what Blizz might do. If they follow what they did in Sunwell, they will KILL casual crafters, as all the better patterns and receipes only come from a raid instance, along with the mats as well. It seems as though they still want to force all toons into raids or arena. So they might hose the casuals in the process. (Anyone seen hardened khorium in the AH yet?.. 4 months or more after Sunwell was released?)

If all you care about is the Helms then yes Engineering will be useless.
Just get another profession, start leveling it now so that it's ready by the expansion.

Personally, I like engineering and I'm probably not going to drop it.
I like it because it has some fun stuff, not for money and not for gear, plus I'm an engineer IRL.

My blue Tanking helm lasted until I got T6 and my blue Healing helm lasted until I got the Epic one. I just don't see a lot of engineering patterns drop and we've been doing Sunwell weekly for a while.

I think we've seen 4 Epic Helm Patterns total.
Plate DPS, Plate Healing, Leather Healing, Leather SD.

I've seen tons of Smelt Hardened Khorium, some alts even have it now.

Problem with Hardened Khorium is it's just not profitable to sell, lots of people have it and the bars cost barely more than that mats on my server and sometimes less. Not enough use for the bars out there yet.
Dragonzbane

Postby Dragonzbane » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:32 pm

halabar wrote:
Maelstrom wrote: Blizzard did admit that they learnt that massive BoP profession advantages were retarded and won't be doing them again..

No, they'll instead hose us by putting the epic patterns in Arthas's loot chest, making them impossible for 98% of the player base to get. Just like the Sunwell epic patterns. The only epic patterns from Sunwell that are cheaper that 10,000 G in the AH are the healer ones, as apparently few healers are crafters.

If they continue this trend, and all epic upgrades past what we currently have are only from high-end raids, I will quit this game for good. I raid some, but I don't want to drag every toon through raids just in hopes of getting patterns.

QQ more?
You've been complaining ever since Sunwell hit.
Why are you still an engineer?

I wouldn't worry all that much about patterns in WotLK as Blizzard seems intent on hand holding.

Just look at the AQ Enchants and all the Flasks that were put into vendor merchants

I used to hate those bleeding edge elitists but man...
I'm starting to think the other side is worse.

halabar wrote:So if you are currently sporting the engineering 2.0 goggles, there's a good chance you'll be replacing them with a WoLTK quest blue, and then you can drop engineering.

Don't bet on it.
Most likely those helms will last til L75 or L76 and that's good enough for most people.

I think there will be a bunch of cool engineering things in the expansion and I'm not even all that jazzed about the bike.

Now if only they'd let me use engineering stuff in Arena matches...

BTW:
What I really want to see from engineering is a Craftable Siege Engine to use in the new battlegrounds and PvP zone.

Would that be gamebreaking?
Probably not

Would it be useful at all aside from PvP?
No

Would it still be cool as hell to have my own Siege Weapon?
Hell Yell !!!
Last edited by Dragonzbane on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragonzbane

Postby Rothes » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:35 pm

Dragonzbane wrote:I think there will be a bunch of cool engineering thing in the new expansion and I'm not even all that jazzed about the bike.

There is a bike?!?
Rothes - Protection Paladin - Bloodscalp
"When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compare or compete, everybody will respect you."
--Lao Tzu
Rothes

Postby Dragonzbane » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:43 pm

Lore wrote:
Yadard wrote:Now if they'd just remove the bar on explosives and so forth in Arenas. It's not like the gems people have cut, armour & patches, enchants, etc stop working.

It's also not like your goggles stop working ;)

But my trinket doesn't work.

Do the JC trinkets work in the arena?
Dragonzbane

Postby halabar » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:44 pm

balrogg wrote:
Arjuna wrote:The patterns reflect their progress...if a player can buy it for 18k gold on AH...well they are pretty high up in no-life progression... :P
(no offense meant to anyone!)

another poor person qqing :P engineers should at least be happy that they can buy some of the best helms in game for nothing more than gold. with everything the way it is, i really dont understand how people dont have gold, granted those patterns are bound to be inflated, and i dont know if i would personally spend the gold, but they are top tier helms, and at least they are available to a certain extent, as opposed to not at all.

It's not so much that as that the patterns just aren't available on most servers. The Sunwell low drop rates combined with the low trash numbers is what hinders the profession.

Heck I GAVE AWAY 25k G because I had NOTHING to spend it on, and was considering quitting the game. Without time to get into serious raiding, and all the next gear levels locked up in SW raids, all I was doing was farming and dailies. So my friend got his mounts and some epics.

I can easily farm up that much gold again in the next 3-4 months, but the problem still is the patterns aren't available. It's not like the MH and TK stuff that show up on a regular basis.

(WTB server that knows how to farm SW trash).
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Dragonzbane » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:48 pm

Honorshammer wrote:I'm still in wait and see. I dropped Engy in tBC to pick up JC for my guild becuse Engy was useless. Then I dropped mining to pickup Engy again. I am really worried about being gimped on stamina if I don't have Mining, but I'd rather not drop either Engy or JC. The other problem is that I can't 'power level' mining. You have to go arond and actually mine stuff. Might be great for cash but it will take much more time.

/waitandsee

That was the biggest mistake I made Pre-BC.
Dropping Mining to get Enchanting to DE all my unwanted gear.

Mining was a pain in the butt to level back up.
The only good thing was there wasn't as much competition.
Dragonzbane

Postby dmok » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:51 pm

Why are you still complaining that a tier 6.5 pattern drops only in that instance?

Why do you think that the ONLY BoP engineering goggles will be available ONLY in the highest of end-game raids?

What's to stop them from doing what they did in BC. or better yet, have the engineering goggle pattern be rep-related to the tier7 instance. After you've done the instance for a while, voila. t8 level engineering goggles. Those should hold you off until you get a chance to go for the t9 stuff, which you have to actually do on a regular basis to get a shot at the pattern for?
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby halabar » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:54 pm

Dragonzbane wrote:QQ more?
You've been complaining ever since Sunwell hit.
Why are you still an engineer?

I wouldn't worry all that much about patterns in WotLK as Blizzard seems intent on hand holding.

I used to hate those bleeding edge elitists but man...

I'm starting to think the other side is worse.

Why still an engineer?.. motes are profitable. And BS sucks for a tank.

It's not that I want all the epics that raiders get, it's that there needs to be something for the rest of us. I give the hard-core raiders their props. They earn their gear.

But what they need to do is make engineering and other crafting professions more like enchanting, so the profession is more of a service to other players. (And they need to fix enchanting so you can sell enchants in the AH on those scrolls).

But Blizz has been tying more and more things to either end-game raiding or high-level pvp. Forcing BG reward items to require arena rating is stupid, why bother even having BGs then?..

And yeah, the bike is ok, but just gonna have hitchhikers looking for a ride....

halabar

Postby halabar » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:03 pm

dmok wrote:Why are you still complaining that a tier 6.5 pattern drops only in that instance?

Because they overdid it on making it rare. When the going price for the DPS goggles is over 24k, that's way overkill. When the JC ring (BOE) is selling for 20K, that's over the top as well. The folks buying this stuff are the gold buyers who then support the hackers and....

If they follow the line with crafting profession progression from Sunwell, the best way to make money in WoLTK will be to powerlevel to 80 and then go farm the Sunwell trash... :D

halabar

Postby Dragonzbane » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:09 pm

halabar wrote:But what they need to do is make engineering and other crafting professions more like enchanting, so the profession is more of a service to other players. (And they need to fix enchanting so you can sell enchants in the AH on those scrolls).

I'm not sure we'll ever see something like that.
Blizzard said that they didn't want engineering to be a money making prof.
and they've put a lot of restrictions on it because they think it's OP.

:-/

halabar wrote:But Blizz has been tying more and more things to either end-game raiding or high-level pvp. Forcing BG reward items to require arena rating is stupid, why bother even having BGs then?..

Did you have a "Force Reactive Disk" at L60 or for BC?

I had the pattern that dropped in MC but never made it.
It didn't make a big difference either.

If these patterns will be useful in WotLK then we'll see them again at a vendor or trainer.

halabar wrote:And yeah, the bike is ok, but just gonna have hitchhikers looking for a ride....

I hear rumors that passengers will be able to use attacks while riding.
So it's not really a taxi, it's a chariot.
Just a rumor though, no confirmation.
Dragonzbane

Postby halabar » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:24 pm

Dragonzbane wrote:
Honorshammer wrote:I'm still in wait and see. I dropped Engy in tBC to pick up JC for my guild becuse Engy was useless. Then I dropped mining to pickup Engy again. I am really worried about being gimped on stamina if I don't have Mining, but I'd rather not drop either Engy or JC. The other problem is that I can't 'power level' mining. You have to go arond and actually mine stuff. Might be great for cash but it will take much more time.

/waitandsee

Mining will be great for cash early, so should skinning, as many dropped skinning/mining to take up LW for the drums.

Waiting to see if engineers will still be gathering motes (or whatever the new items are).

halabar

Postby Arjuna » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:35 pm

balrogg wrote:
Arjuna wrote:The patterns reflect their progress...if a player can buy it for 18k gold on AH...well they are pretty high up in no-life progression... :P
(no offense meant to anyone!)

another poor person qqing :P engineers should at least be happy that they can buy some of the best helms in game for nothing more than gold. with everything the way it is, i really dont understand how people dont have gold, granted those patterns are bound to be inflated, and i dont know if i would personally spend the gold, but they are top tier helms, and at least they are available to a certain extent, as opposed to not at all.

who ever said i was QQing? I qqed on one thing, and that is that JC designs are unfarmable world drops...nothing else
And to those that were offended by my post, I am terribly sorry and i am a very bad person for posting!
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby halabar » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:36 pm

Dragonzbane wrote:

/waitandsee

Mining will be great for cash early, so should skinning, as many dropped skinning/mining to take up LW for the drums.

Waiting to see if engineers will still be gathering motes (or whatever the new items are).

halabar

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK