Question to BETA Players -> Scaling

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby PsiVen » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:40 am

Obviously it won't be the same, but the point is our single target scaling has improved; per-stat calculations are independent of gear level, so we should expect things to be staying at the same order, perhaps with a 20-25% increase to reflect other changes. I'll look at WotLK spell power tonight, but I expect that it will actually be worse.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Dorvan » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:51 am

PsiVen wrote:Obviously it won't be the same, but the point is our single target scaling has improved; per-stat calculations are independent of gear level, so we should expect things to be staying at the same order, perhaps with a 20-25% increase to reflect other changes. I'll look at WotLK spell power tonight, but I expect that it will actually be worse.

The thing is, there are a number of talent changes and coefficient changes that come into play....so while per stat calculations are independant of gear level, they're highly dependent on mechanics changes. I'm not at all convinced that spellpower will be hugely better either, but we certainly shouldn't be touting conclusions based on old outdated numbers when when now have the means to start updating those calculations.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Strom » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:10 am

One thing is for certain, I think we can all subside our fears that we will only be niche AoE tanks in 25 mans now. Its clear from our new abilities and gear direction that Blizzard does intend for us to single target tank in 25 mans as well. We seem to scale quite nicely in that regard now.
Strom

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:13 am

Strom wrote:One thing is for certain, I think we can all subside our fears that we will only be niche AoE tanks in 25 mans now. Its clear from our new abilities and gear direction that Blizzard does intend for us to single target tank in 25 mans as well. We seem to scale quite nicely in that regard now.

My fears will subside only when that becomes a reality, it's far too early to tell much yet.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby moduspwnens » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:20 am

Fridmarr wrote:My fears will subside only when that becomes a reality, it's far too early to tell much yet.

This. Although, my fears have certainly decreased greatly since I've read all this info. I was 95% sure my warrior would be my main in WotLK, and now I'm not sure.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby guillex » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:29 am

moduspwnens wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:My fears will subside only when that becomes a reality, it's far too early to tell much yet.

This. Although, my fears have certainly decreased greatly since I've read all this info. I was 95% sure my warrior would be my main in WotLK, and now I'm not sure.

HOLY CRAP!

*looks around nervously*

No Riders of the Apocalypse yet ... modus, what's gotten into you?!?!?
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby moduspwnens » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:30 am

Guillex wrote:HOLY CRAP!

*looks around nervously*

:P
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby jere » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:37 am

Guillex wrote:
moduspwnens wrote:

HOLY CRAP!

*looks around nervously*

I heard the setup some kind of time share in a place called Naxx-something.
jere

Postby Strom » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:21 pm

Now I am not saying we will be the premier tanks in 25 man single target tanking. Blizz will not let that happen in my mind. BUT I do think its obvious from what we have been given that they want us to be very functional in a MT role on single boss fights.

I think the big question now is how interchangable will we be when this all shakes out.
Strom

Postby Exalt » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:37 pm

moduspwnens wrote:

I shared your optimism until I checked out the current L72+ tanking pieces. Now I'm not so sure.

The paladin talent and spell changes make me happy in the pants. T6 is absolutely disgusting with the new talents/spells.

However, the new gear is going to be the deciding factor.

I don't think it's going to have enough stamina on it, because it'll be sharing too much of its item budget with Strength.

I have a feeling the 30% spellpower from stamina conversion with 3/3 TbtL is going to need to be more like 50% or higher in order to allow us to hold aoe threat off of busy healers. Nevermind holding aoe threat off of seed-spamming warlocks.

Single-target threat looks VERY VERY promising though.
Exalt - 70 - Argent Dawn

Exalt

Postby Dorvan » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:39 pm

Exalt wrote:I don't think it's going to have enough stamina on it, because it'll be sharing too much of its item budget with Strength.

With shared itemization though, we're not going to be at a disadvantage on this point relative to Warriors/DKs, and in fact will scale better with however much stamina we all do get.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to WotLK