Holy Shield buffed to 10 charges?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby guillex » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:13 pm

What was the old tooltip?

edit: Found it:

mmo-champion wrote:Whenever you parry or dodge an attack, you have a 20% chance of reducing the mana cost of your next Consecration, Holy Wrath, or Avenger's Shield ability by 50%

The new one has the dodge/parry req removed, but it's only a 30% reduction.
Last edited by guillex on Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Petrus » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:15 pm

moduspwnens wrote:
Guillex wrote:
Makaijin wrote:Never mind the Imp' HS, did anyone read the new description of Guarded by the Light? Before you needed to dodge or parry to get a mana reduction on next cast, but now the dodge/parry requirement is gone?

They probably felt it was too OP ... And I'd have to agree. With the string of Dodge/Parry/Block/Miss that I regularly see, it'd almost be like having reckoning charges for your consecrate/hw/as.

? He said the requirement is removed. Wouldn't that be a buff?

It could probably be seen as a buff. As we often say in the tanking community, we don't like to rely on procs, and it was just changed from a proc to a consistent amount, which makes it a much more desirable talent because it's a static and reliable thing.

Yes, I'd call it a buff.

Edit: 2/2 Guarded by the Light was previously "Whenever you parry or dodge an attack you have a 20% chance to reduce the mana cost of your next Consecration, Holy Wrath, or Avenger's Shield spell by 50%."
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Postby moduspwnens » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:21 pm

Wait, now it's a passive thing?!

Ugh, two more talent points I have to spend. I was gonna skip that one, too.

EDIT: Eh, I guess I still won't need it for content I don't outgear. In Sunwell, mana management is the least of my worries, and it's the content my gear is "on par" for.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Eltiana » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:23 pm

moduspwnens wrote:Wait, now it's a passive thing?!

Ugh, two more talent points I have to spend. I was gonna skip that one, too.
They just keep making more and more talens must haves to screw with you, eh modus lol?
Eltiana

Postby moduspwnens » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:25 pm

Eltiana wrote:They just keep making more and more talens must haves to screw with you, eh modus lol?

#@$%ing right.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Vanifae » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:21 am

Currently in Live Holy Shield is still 8 charges and the older tooltip for Guarded by the Light is in use.

I can confirm that with the current version of Guardfed by the Light, the proc, it seems to be perma up while tanking especially when you are tanking multiple mobs.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Sarkan-ZdC » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:35 am

I'll skip the 2 Points on Improved Shield for Leveling (100%) and Probably Naxx.

IF there is something like Hyjal (Tanking 5+ Elites) I might think again. But not 70-80, not heroics, not Naxx.

-30% Mana Costs for High-Mana Skills? 70-80? Sure! 80 beginning? Sure.

Naxx and other Raid instances? Depends. Really Depends. Probably, but after naxx I'll see. You will not need it in Progress Raids. But sill it will be helpfull for Naxx 10 (you'll need the badges).

I'm not sure. Might drop it with T7/T8. But first months will be nice.
Sarkan-ZdC

Postby Worldie » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:03 am

I agree with Sarkan, that's what i'll probably do.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Noradin » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:15 am

I would have taken the old one, but this version - I'm not sure.
ImageImage
Noradin

Postby Griffonheart » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:53 am

-30% cost to Consecration is nice since it's constant extra threat generation even in solo tanking, but the other two spells are usually for AoE tanking. Solo boss we use Exorcism instead of Holy Wrath, and AS is too expensive for single target even with the talent to use in a boss fight. If we have adds to tank that might be different.

Would you put two talent points in Guarded by the Light so you can spam Consecration which, as many had pointed out, may not be the spell of choice for boss tanking since we got ShoR and HoR?
True Voyage is Return

Griffonheart

Postby Worldie » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:02 am

Don't forget we still don't know the DPS on tanks in lvl 80 raids.

Being oom was quite common before 70 and even in Kara.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Sarkan-ZdC » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:07 am

Worldie wrote:Don't forget we still don't know the DPS on tanks in lvl 80 raids.

Sure thing. But on the other hand you can always turn you're back, sit or drink a mana potion.

But also in Hyjal I'm OOM in waves to the first 2 bosses. I happends. So I'm glad I read about the 6 Charges on 8 Sek Holy Shield. That is 2 free points right there.
Sarkan-ZdC

Postby Griffonheart » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:22 am

Sarkan-ZdC wrote:
Worldie wrote:Don't forget we still don't know the DPS on tanks in lvl 80 raids.

Sure thing. But on the other hand you can always turn you're back, sit or drink a mana potion.

But also in Hyjal I'm OOM in waves to the first 2 bosses. I happends. So I'm glad I read about the 6 Charges on 8 Sek Holy Shield. That is 2 free points right there.

As what many would say... if you go oom, pull more or put on healing gears for more +spell ^_^ I tend to go for stam gears and +spell during Hyjal waves because that allow more leisure on Abom knock down and you can still take damage to get your mana back at the same time harder to kill.

And as Worldie said, we don't know about the dps yet but Guarded by the Light is not the talent I would put pts in unless I know it would be vital. Given the new spells, I would have more faith in keeping aggro without using Consecration too many times per pull. I tend to use max rank only once per trash pull then rank 2~3 after (in TBC).
True Voyage is Return

Griffonheart

Postby Mortehl » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:34 am

I at least will be overgeared until level 78ish it appears. Mana consumption is a real concern for me at the moment.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:36 am

I go OOM on Naj, Supremus, Akama, TERON(RNG + Healers knowing how to "use" my commendation = GG), Veras if I forget I don't really need anything but HS...
Whenever I consecrate, and the boss isn't a real freaking boss, or the aoe isn't huge, i'm OOM.

I don't really know what to think right now. Having the extra holy shield damage seems more significant now specially because we will rely on blocks a lot more(2xBV threat tool, insane buff to str->bv ratio, better HS uptime, apparent wish for less tank avoidance). On one hand, imp HS means we can generate slightly better threat on pretty much any aoe, while taking less damage(redoubt uptime doesn't count because it spends together with HS).

I have to see, I guess. I think I'll go the hard way and not have the mana talent for any but the first or second raids.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to WotLK