Post your record heroic times

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Post your record heroic times

Postby fantine » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:27 pm

I don't know about you guys, but I always go for quick times when I run heroics to keep away the boredom, challenge myself, and learn to tank better. Even before the /timer was implemented I've always had a stopwatch by my desk to keep track of my progress.

I'm curious what some of your best times are from the time zoning into the instance until the last boss dies.

Here are some of my better ones:

UB: 26:10
Shattered Halls: 33:40
Slave Pens: 22:30
Magister's Terrace: 36:00 (I think I can improve this one by quite a bit but I still need to use caution in the zone)
Botanica: 27:20
Mechenar: 24:40

All times I round down to the nearest 10 seconds.

I usually run with people in t5 guilds with the occasional t6 and the occasional t4. No flasking, stat food, or other consumables are used by the party.
fantine

Postby Tiranknight » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:16 pm

Slave Pens in like under 30 mins.

You really did H-Underbog in under 30 minutes? It's definitely an easy cake instance in which you can pretty much AoE tank every pull, but the actual zone is pretty long.. and there's significantly less skippable trash than say Slave Pens. (which you can skip like pretty much half the instance to get all 3 badges) Halls leading up to Ghazan with the Broken, Naga takes a while to clear, unless your chain pulling all of em up to Ghazan's ramp... then there's the super annoying Fear Rays, and Poison stinging mobs.

I've pretty much given up on timing runs anyway though... because inevitably you're always going to get that person, people who go AFK for 5 minutes getting a Drink, or letting out the dog. Or the clumsy person who runs into a trash pull unexpectedly you were trying to avoid and ends up giving you an unprepared wipe.
Tiranknight

Postby Neara » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:30 pm

I do heroics mostly in PuGs so the times aren't as good as they could be and i just did time runs with few instances.

mechanar 34 Minutes
Botanica 35 Minutes
Shattered halls 41 Minutes

At least this are Times i took with a stopwatch (in PuGs) I know i did Botanica and SH faster than that with some Guildmember, just don't know the time.

One time run i remember, but it wasn't on my Pally. Did a Slave Pens run with a Feral Druid, a Fury-warri, a rogue, a Mage and me with my Resto-shaman someday in the morning. Just as we pulled the first Boss we read in Yellow letters in the Chatframe "This Raidinstance is sheduled to reset in 15 Minutes" .. we made it with 30 seconds until we would have been ported :D
Neara

Postby ldeboer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:46 pm

I am ten minutes slower of most of your times except one

---> UB: 26:10

Same as above poster this is a dam long instance how do get this fast. Usually would be like 50 min for me so was expecting like 40min.
ldeboer

Postby fantine » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:47 pm

For UB my average time is about 29 minutes. I have gotten slightly over 26 minutes several times and think I can get it down to 24 if mobs are better positioned and dps does a better job at stopping heals. It also depends on the humanoid spawns - if there are a lot of spear throwers it automatically adds about a minute onto my time.

For pugs I make it very clear to them that they're not to go afk mid instance, and I make sure they know exactly where they can and cannot be walking.
fantine

Postby ldeboer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:11 pm

ZOMG I suck ... back to drawing board
ldeboer

Postby Kelaan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:55 pm

Would any of you care to write a heroic-speed-running guide? E.g., expected gear, good group makeups, as well as instance-specific stuff like skippable trash, or places where you will grab more than one group at a time?
Kelaan

Postby Neara » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:31 am

For a start, don't compare to others, but to yourself. Take the time of a run and try to beat it the next time. Specific Gear is just needed if you want to beat others.
Just some general tips
While drinking the time still runs, so a group with rogues/warriors/warlocks and a healer with a good amount of mana regen might be better for this.
Watch Omen and use less abilities if you have a good lead. Ending the fight with 50-80% Mana is better than with <20% as long as your DPS is behind you. Often i just use 2x Concecration and go all out on the first mob and on the rest i can just swing with SoR. Until the fight ends i'm ready to pull the next group. (2x Spelldmg trinkets helps a lot with Mana-preservation)
You need to know the instance by heart. Always plan ahead, know what comes next, where are patrols etc. Sometimes pull Patrols even if you're still fighting if you know that your group can handle it, so you don't need to wait until it comes back again.
Neara

Postby fantine » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:16 pm

I actually run almost exclusively with casters. I've done a few sub 27 minute UB runs with a fury warrior, but my typical group makeup consists of mages, hunters, and spriests. Rogues and enhancement shamans I've found contribute the least to my runs, although my 2nd best UB time had an enhancement shaman doing 650ish dps. On average I do quicker runs with a druid healer.

Knowing the patrols and dictating kill speed based on that is extremely important, as was mentioned in the previous post - you should *never* have to wait on a patrol unless it's a dedicated drink break. I usually have 2 drink breaks in UB - both are only to half mana. One is before the 2nd boss and the other is before either the hunter or bog lord, depending on the bog lord's positioning.

Stacking spell damage to the point where the healer can just barely keep up I've found is the most efficient way to get through most zones.
fantine

Postby fantine » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:02 am

Update:

Got Botanica down below 25 minutes. Group consisted of:

Pally tank
Holy priest
Destro lock
BM hunter
Shadow priest.

I even pulled one group I didn't have to - I have high hopes of eventually clearing this zone in 23:00.
fantine

Postby caboom » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:00 am

stacking locks and a mage on top of a good geared pally tank and a shammy or priest healer, and it pays of, did durnholde today in like 30 mins and no one was better geared than what i had, but the 2 locks meant mobs were dieing faster than i could round them up lol xD

or heavy shamman group, where u'd normally have all totems available and chain bloodlust on bosses(did UB last boss in 20 seconds, we were all like :"wtf where did he go ?!")
caboom

Postby Levantine » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:42 am

I did a 30 minute Bot once. It was funtacular. Sayo my fav guild rogue and Czarion a crazy ass Arcane Mage on Cael (who I've never seen OOM EVER and all he ever casts is Arcane Blast) were having a deeps competition. Add a pally tank who likes to test just how much I can heal him through, and you have a speed run.

Czar soundly beat (as in thumped) Sayo down. :P T5 Arcane Mage > T5 Combat Sword Rogue aparently. xD The shitty warlock was a DISTANT third.
Levantine

Postby fantine » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:29 am

I've actually not had good luck with shamans in speed runs.

Resto shamans go OOM more easily than resto druids and priests.
Ele shamans have poor aggro management, meaning I spend more mana building up a treat lead.
Enhance shamans don't have an AE ability and don't synergize well with a pally tank group which should (in theory) be caster oriented.

Mages with the 2 set T5 bonus are pretty amazing and should be able to pull in 1100-1600 dps (depending on zone) with minimal aggro issues. A good destro lock should always be above him, however.
fantine

Postby Colette » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:54 pm

Our guild has just decided to start timing our runs to make things more interesting. So far our bot record is 32 min. We ran with me tanking, holy priest, 2 elemental shammys, and an arcane mage.

We had heroism for almost every boss fight, wrath of air + windfury, dual chain lightnings, priest mind control buff on everybody. We used both earth elementals to take the adds on Laj.

The holy priest dpsed most of the boss fights (over 1k dps on high botanist-- he never got to go tree form).

I think one of the things I'm going to try now is minimal marking. Make a couple general rules like target the one on the left first if there's only two, and knowing which are the annoying mobs that need to be taken out first.

Edit: Found a WWS report of one of our heroic bot speed runs. Slightly different group and we did it in 31 mintues apparently, although I may have started the log after the first pull. I'm betting we could beat the 30 min mark now.
http://wowwebstats.com/aoetgd33z5uu1
Colette

Postby baleogthefierce » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:44 am

Heroic HFR in 18 minutes

We stepped in with 23 minutes until reset and tried to speed through as fast as we could and made it out just as the 5 minute warning timer started to count down.

Group consisted of
Paladin tank ZOMG AWESOME
CoH priest
Combat rogue
Fury warrior
Enhancement shaman

We basically just chain pulled every group and had our stacked melee group split and solo the casters while I built threat on the melee mobs so they could go nuts without having to worry about threat.
baleogthefierce

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics