Remove Advertisements

Shattered Halls question

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Shattered Halls question

Postby ZombieRitual » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:09 am

I ran shattered halls today for that damn trinket and ended up doing it on Heroic for some reason (not either of the dailies). Outside of two areas, the run went relatively fine. We wiped multiple times in two places: The gauntlet after the first boss and the hallway immediately following the gauntlet that leads to the ogre boss.

We wiped about 3 times in the gauntlet but that stopped after I walked backwards while mobs were on me and pulled some off to the side, out of view of the archers. The main problem was the hallway after that gauntlet, where there's four packs of orcs on the wall. These are the ones with the Centurians and the two pars of orcs that fight duel each other (for 5 orcs total).

We kept wiping here because for some reason, despite doing perfectly fine shield pulls on the two large 5-7 orc packs in the middle of this hallway, these bastard packs on the side kept getting pulled and raping us. No mobs got feared into these packs, no one ran into them, no one accidentally pulled them with a mis-cast spell or a bad aoe, etc. Our first wipe there, and on the first pull of the middle 5-7 orc pack in that hallway, I had the rogue sap the leftmost mob (a caster), while I pulled the melee orc that walked from side to side in front of the group. I threw my shield, and ran back just into the room where the gauntlet boss is. When that sap ran out on the sapped caster mob, he came in and brought with him the 5 orc pack on the left side of the hallway.

I just find it really frustrating that what should have been an hour run, turned into two because of pulls that started out fine, and should have been fine, went fubar because of what seems like dumb mob positioning. I also noticed this stuff happening when i tanked SH some months back on my warrior--just somehow could not avoid getting that extra pack.

Any thoughts?
ZombieRitual

Postby istrienielle » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:53 am

Being a while since I tanked SH, and I've only tanked it once anyway but yest went in on my warlock and noticed the pally tank tanking those pulls around where the trainer dummies were and running to the group where we get archers. I was aoe happy seeding. We didn't get the adds at the sides.
istrienielle

Postby jere » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:26 am

A lot of it has to do with your positioning. If the mobs run to the left at all early on, they will pull the left group. If they run to the right too far at a certain point they will pull the right group. You have to get a feel for positioning if you want to skip the side groups.

Also, make sure if you shield toss pull, to pull when the legionaire is away from the gladiator packs. Sometimes pulling him when he is on the far left grabs the left pack initially.

If you are leaving the gladiator packs, I would avoid sapping or any CC in that room, even if you are pulling them into the archer room. I would suggest, pulling, laying consecration, and when they get to you in the archer room, let your mages/warlocks/hunters CC then. If you need room, pull the remaining into the gauntlet hallway.
jere

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:41 am

!: About the gauntlet. Ideally you want to run with some kind of absorption, like runes and pw:s. If you have the gear for it you can Freedom yourself off a hamstring and do the gauntlet in 2 pulls, otherwise 3 is good.
2: the centurion hallway: They have a glitch. If they reset in line of sight of a mob in combat, they join.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Ironia » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:00 am

Make sure the Lego goes down fast.

I have noticed on a few occasions that the call for adds seems to come from the side rooms.

If you do not have the DPS to prevent the call, maybe take one of the sides first.
Ironia

Postby Ciandin » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:00 am

I think there's also a bug with sap in there, where a sapped mob will pull the gladiator packs when it wakes up. But that could be explained by Snake's post above.
Fighting over the internet is like the special olympics... even if you win, you're still retarded.
Ciandin

Postby Kelaan » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:08 pm

Ciandin wrote:I think there's also a bug with sap in there, where a sapped mob will pull the gladiator packs when it wakes up. But that could be explained by Snake's post above.

That's probably it. Don't sap it. Thanks for the reminder -- I'll tell people not to sheep on the pull, then.

When I do SH, I make sure that I pull things back into the room where the gauntlet's boss was, all of it. That usually works. I make sure to pull when the legionnaire is on the right side (and often get one of the guys by the training dummies).

I also always clear at least one side of the Gladiators. This gives you a nice nook in which you can LOS-pull the subsequent groups into, and ensures that your group doesn't have to be as careful when going up to the next hallway. It hurts a bit, but basically what I do is make sure my block value and avoidance are good. I usually lead with a Gift of the Naaru (sorry ;)), which does almost nothing, and also pop my dodge trinket for an extra ~20% or so dodge (I think?). I Hammer of Justice one of the mobs, as that cuts the mortal strikes by 1/4. ;) If you have a rogue, they can work to stunlock one of them.

Clearing them is a bit of a rough spot, but as long as you have decent avoidance and can keep threat (make sure your warlocks don't go hog-wild ;)), you should be OK. Hunters can peel one off to a trap, or have a pet OT for a couple hits if needed, too, which can be enough to make sure you don't get OMG-Gibbed.

One thing I haven't tried: can you pull the gladiators before taking he legionnaire's friends, and not end up pulling them by proximity? I'd like to try it someday but don't want to risk a wipe.
Kelaan

Postby Arcand » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:10 pm

Kelaan wrote:One thing I haven't tried: can you pull the gladiators before taking he legionnaire's friends, and not end up pulling them by proximity? I'd like to try it someday but don't want to risk a wipe.

I don't know if it's mob placement or the shape of the room or weird luck, but anyway - I find it very easy to pull the gladiators first in the first room, and very dangerous to pull them first in the second.
Arcand

Postby davidred » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:16 pm

With this gladiator packs I've found if you pull and then continue walking backwards while attacking the centurion (the guy who tells the 4 others to attack), the 4 pack of gladiator's run and stop, run and stop, run and stop all the way with you so they never end up reaching you to inflict damage.

Since you're walking backwards they'll be running over your consecrate so you build up agro on them. Once the centurion is killed then it's easy enough just to AoE tank the 4 glads down since they should be on about 35-40% health when you pull them.
davidred

Postby ldeboer » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:27 pm

Okay here is a flawless way to do it never had problem with it.

On the left side there is a red/purple carpet stand on it so you are very left towards where you would pull like the left pit. Wait for the legionare one to come up to the top left guy pull him right at that point.

Now run back into the room you killed the extra boss in and go to the corner behind the wall that would have the pit group the other side. Drop consecrate and wait for them to arrive. Any cc can be done as they come into the room.

Never had it pull either the pit or any of the ones off the training dumies doing it this way.
ldeboer

Postby Ciandin » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:55 am

Mark the two closest gladiators with a skull and an X. Captain america the skull, and since every dps player is now wearing at least S1/S2 gear, your ranged dps should be able to kill both the skull and the X before they even reach the camp.

After the initial avenger's shield on the skull, keep backing up until the skull and X are dead. Then run in and build threat on the captain, effectively tanking 3 elites instead of 5.
Fighting over the internet is like the special olympics... even if you win, you're still retarded.
Ciandin

Postby mayoff » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:06 am

The Shattered Hand Gladiators have a Mortal Strike that does 200% damage and gives you a 50% healing debuff. I had trouble with them when I was able to AoE-tank every other pull in the instance. You might want to use a sheep or trap on at least one of them.
mayoff

Postby Seloei » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:54 am

Even in the gear i have now and massively outgear the instance, the gladiators can drop me to <20% at times when all 4 land a mortal strike at the same time. Even one of ours best raid healers said "it's a challenge to keep you up at times on them".

The trick is, avoid them. First pack of Legio+5-7 can be pulled to the archer room and aoe'd down there.
The second pack that is in the next "gladiator part" can be pulled to the small pillar in the middle of both of the rooms. Frisbee the legionaire when his about in the middle, go behind the small pillar/corner in the middle and aoe tank them there. Tell the dps to not stand too close to gladiators since some of the trash fears.
Seloei

Postby ldeboer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:51 pm

He was actually having trouble with the middle pull bringing the pit group you are talking about which are actually very trivial.

For the pits put a skull on the big guy who doesn't fight now target one of the ones that fight when you see it's health get to 56% begin shield toss it will land with its health around 40%. Drop consecrate and moment skull is in it HOJ it. Now simply watch your debuffs if you get mortal strike (its a purple debuff icon with axe head) simply walk backwards to give time for it to wear off and now drop consecrate again. They never stun and you should never underestimate the value of stepping back it buys valuable seconds.

Ridiculously trivial if you have a hunter get hime to put a slow trap down they take even longer to walk to you when you back out.
ldeboer

Postby Mcgrumpy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:01 am

When I run heroic SH I skip the gladiators. I only do them after the last boss.

In the first room of Gladiators, I get the dog pat first by LOSing them into the room at the end of the gauntlet.

Once they're done, I throw my shield from close range and run into that first pack making sure to get my consecrate on the casters. I usually remind my group not to wander too far right or left.

I do the same thing on the second pack. Shield from close range, run up, get the casters in my consecrate. This can sometimes pull the adds in the halls fighting with the targeting dummies, but they're pretty inconsequential. As long as you carefully watch your positioning, you will not pull the gladiators.

The oddest thing I've seen with the gladiators was this:
I was going to pull the target dummy mobs and was very close to them as i was peparing to rush in. Well, out of no where one of the gladiators decides he needs extra practice, runs out of the pit and attacks the targeting dummy. Well, I body aggroed him. So I slowly walked back to my group. The other 3 gladiators came with him, but the Centurion never aggroed. We were able to pull him separately after the gladiators were dead. O.o
Mcgrumpy

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics