Remove Advertisements

Tanking Maulgar's Priest

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tanking Maulgar's Priest

Postby sangre » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:10 am

Hi again all,

I've been successfully tanking/offtanking Kara and tanking heroics, and now my guild has asked me to start readying to tank the Priest in the HKM fight. We are still at the learning stage while we continue farming what we need from Kara.

I've read up on the strats and we've done the pull a few times (unsuccessfully since we're just now getting the Warlock under control). I'm very familiar with the tanking gear lists and such that are posted on this forum and elsewhere. I'm now wondering what my new post-Kara target should be for armor, HP, spell dmg, etc. I am the cookie-cutter 0/49/12 build seen here:

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... g&n=Sangre

While I continue grabbing what I need from Kara and Heroics, what advice can I get from anyone who has experience in this role or has seen the fight?

Thanks!
sangre

Postby jere » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:19 am

The priest doesn't hit hard at all, so you don't need to worry about upgrading to tank him. I tanked him in mostly blues and still didn't need much healing. It would actually be in your best interest to work on a threat set for him specifically as he is usually the first to be killed, so high threat is a plus.
jere

Re: Tanking Maulgar's Priest

Postby DracAlexstrasza » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:40 pm

I've read up on the strats and we've done the pull a few times (unsuccessfully since we're just now getting the Warlock under control).

Tank the warlock. Our ranged taunt gives us a huge advantage keeping him under control. I learned the fight tanking High King, but from a purely strategic point of view we are best sticking with the warlock.
Drac - Paladin - 70 - Alexstrasza
DracAlexstrasza

Postby ulushnar » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:41 pm

The priest is a joke, he can be tanked by a shaman or even a rogue. He spends most of his uptime stunlocked in any case.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Valzoun » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:40 am

Paladins actually make great tanks for the priest because you can just frontload all your threat and let your dps go to town. If your healers are comfortable with it, put on extra spelldamage gear because he doesn't hit hard. I usually AW right off the pull and blow everything.
Valzoun

Postby sangre » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:36 am

Thanks for the advice guys.

I won't be tanking Warlock due to the makeup of our raid (only two tanking warriors, and one bear tank that isn't always available), although I'll definitely keep that in mind and let the guild know about the option and reasons.

I will definitely try popping AW right off the bat and let my dps'ers go crazy. We've been running Kara with me as the main tank lately, and there haven't been any aggro problems despite us not using Salvation.
sangre

Postby Diocaska » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:37 am

Just to give you an idea about the Priest.

I found it easier to tank the priest, than I did Attumen.

Misdirect pull took him to me, judged Seal of the crusader, (Wings now if its a SOR day) Threw my shield, Seal of Vengence/Righteous, Rank 3/4 concecrates, kept holy shield up, (Wings now if SoV is 5 stacks).

All I did was dump a tonne of threat. As long as he's being interupted, its trivial.

I loved it because I could just go crazy with aggro, and the raid could down him quickly.

Thats how I take the fight. I wouldn't imagin its too much different for anyone else.
Aurellia(90) Ulshala(85) Diocaska(85) Leighesha(85)
Diocaska

Re: Tanking Maulgar's Priest

Postby Nemi » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:20 am

[quote="DracAlexstrasza"][/quote] Tank the warlock. Our ranged taunt gives us a huge advantage keeping him under control. I learned the fight tanking High King, but from a purely strategic point of view we are best sticking with the warlock.

Yes the warlock, ranged taunt is essential for this as you'll be getting DC'd all over the place. What I've found to work well is just let the lock(player type) grab a fel puppy that the warlock mob summons and let them eat a DC, taunt whomever he's on by the time the felpuppy's DC is up he will taunt the warlock off of you and eat another DC, warlock will come back to you rinse and repeat. But the ranged taunt really makes him trivial. What we do from left to right:

Moonkin on the nature guy
Warrior on priest
Bear on Maulgar
Pally tank the Warlock
Mage on the Fire mage mob

Fight starts with Mage yelling pyro in 6 sec, hunters cast misdirect on the pally tank, and the moonkin, soon as they see big red glowy thing going from the mage they shoot. Bear / warrior charge in. Moonkin moves the nature guy to the corner (can LOS him) near where the door to the next area is. Pally tank waits for warlock to make the giant fel puppy his pet then when it eats DC taunt off some healer and tank till fel puppy gets back then eats another DC. Maulgar is being tanked in the middle part of the room against a wall, Priest where it stands, Warlock wherever whomever can get agro on him at.

Easy fight as long as you get the pull down. But Ranged taunt on him is essential.
Nemi

Postby Sielanas » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:52 am

I can say that my guild usually has two pallys on the Warlock, and uses a warrior on the priest. After the lock dies, I swap weapons and start healing until time to judge Wisdom on Maulgar at 60%. Depending on the week we have either a warrior or a paladin on Maulgar.
Sielanas

Postby Lonso » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:58 am

I tanked the priest in my healing gear once. We were short on healing and had a MS warrior tanking the priest but he ended up getting killed by the lock. I usually tank the lock along with a druid or warrior. Another time we had that MS warrior tank the priest he did get crushed for about 7500 if I remember correctly.

The reason we usually have one of our weaker warriors on the priest is to help interrupt heals. The reason I tank the warlock is because he's a pain in the ass. Having a 40-yard taunt and the ability to generate a sick threat lead keeps him coming back to me.
Lonso

Postby Rainge » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:07 am

The priest is a cakewalk. I often tanked him as a holy pally if we didn't have enough tanks.
Rainge

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag