Illidari Council

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Postby Maelstrom » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:35 am

Instead of rolling one's face over the keyboard and hoping for the best, you could just have this macro:

#showtooltip
/target Veras Darkshadow
/cast Avenger's Shield

And then spin around and slap him with it. I have it bound to shift+e for our council kills. If that misses just mash RD whilst looking at his buff list, remember RD works through spell warding so even then RD buys you a few seconds to click the decapitator and poke him in the face to get aggro under control.

Only use the decapitator when you need it (i.e. spell warding), wasting the cooldown uneccesarily will come back to bite you in the ass later.
Maelstrom

Postby Seloei » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:57 am

So we finally started back raiding and were back where we left out... council...
Was wondering if SoB is good enough to keep threat on him all phase long while wearing a warrior weapon. Since it bypasses both Melee and Spell shield. Or should i be hoping the hunter who is assigned to MD when needed, is not asleep?

Most of the times i can keep him busy, but once he got spellshield the moment i hit AS and the hunter was asleep so he happily shanked a priest.
Seloei

Postby Omatre » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:35 am

I tanked the paladin. Yes, yes, I know, everyone says its a nightmare, and by god its scary watching those huge spike hits come in. No spell reflect. You can dodge/parry the Judgement of Command and I did so a fair amount of times it seems.

Regardless, we downed him that way.

Warrior on the priest with a rogue and 2 shamans for interrupts, druid on the rogue, and myself on the paladin. The consecration confusion does happen, but there's so much other AOE in my direction that its almost a constant moving of him anyway.

Go ahead, throw on the dodge/parry gear, and tank him. If I can do it, any paladin tank worth their weight in salt should be able to also. Yes, I had 3 dedicated healers, and a druid HoTTing me. Maybe the warrior would have taken less dmg, but a win, is a win, our first kill and we were 2 minutes till enrage, and that was with 11 healers. More DPS would have made for a quicker fight, but less chance of survival.
Omatre

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:48 pm

The only real threat you need for Veras is pickup threat. Once he's on you and properly away from the raid, all you have to do is autoattack and hit holy shield.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Holyday » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:41 pm

I was thrilled upon reading this that when he puts on the spell shield, I switched to seal of blood and was able to pick him up easily. What a great tip on the SoB trick since I do not have a decapitator!
Holyday

Postby Magnusharkov » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:22 am

We've killed council a couple of times now, I can heavily recommend the decapitator and also an empyrean tortoise + commendation combo, makes you practically unkillable by melee if you are in a high avoidance setup (which you should be).

Anyway I have a question. We had 4 tanks including mage, 9 healers and 2 rogue plus 2 ele shamans on the priest. Our rogues and shamans seemed to survive longer when they stopped trying to deal damage and solely did interrupts, im talking 150 DPS throughout the fight. This left 8 real damage dealers in the raid. Our kills were very very slow but we got there in the end.

Is this normal? It felt like we were making the fight take much longer than it should.
Magnusharkov

Postby baleogthefierce » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:41 am

Magnusharkov wrote:We've killed council a couple of times now, I can heavily recommend the decapitator and also an empyrean tortoise + commendation combo, makes you practically unkillable by melee if you are in a high avoidance setup (which you should be).

Anyway I have a question. We had 4 tanks including mage, 9 healers and 2 rogue plus 2 ele shamans on the priest. Our rogues and shamans seemed to survive longer when they stopped trying to deal damage and solely did interrupts, im talking 150 DPS throughout the fight. This left 8 real damage dealers in the raid. Our kills were very very slow but we got there in the end.

Is this normal? It felt like we were making the fight take much longer than it should.

if your dps who are interrupting have such bad tunnel vision that they can't stay alive without totally stopping dps, replace them
baleogthefierce

Postby Worldie » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:55 am

4 dps "wasted" on the priest is too many, consider that due to immunity and pwshield, they can't dps most of the time. 2 rogues + the mage tank are usually enough, send the shamans (or at least one of em) on true dpsing.

They can eventually dps the mage if they feel like so.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:58 am

Tanking the rogue requires very little in the way of threat. I gear for max avoidance, rotating pocketwatch/Hydross trinket/HoJ; I've gone entire phases with the rogue not landing a single hit. We have one paladin healer for mage tank and me; I can usually heal myself between vanishes. We've been doing this fight with seven healers for the last few weeks. The add'l dps is nice, since this fight is stupid and long.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

After a Vanish

Postby Slamdorff » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:11 pm

After a vanish when can I build threat on him.

In the short period from when he appears and until he moves is he then immune to threat or can I AS/judge/whatever as soon as I can target him?

I had a nightmare tonight when I first tried to tank him.

Everything went fine, he never spawned far from me and I was always between him and raid, with good time to get him.

But, my god, I hit him with everything and he quite often went right past me due to shields - so I would like to know when I can start to hit him with abilities. I wiped raid 3 times in a row...
Last edited by Slamdorff on Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slamdorff

Postby Snake-Aes » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:29 pm

Usually he is targetable a few seconds before unlocking and running to the healers. You can build threat while he's not moving.

As soon as you can target him, he's using his brand-new empty threat table. Spamming a /tar veras macro will target him as soon as he's available.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Tyaera » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:09 pm

Currently we run with two ferals, me, and a warrior. Obviously one of the ferals doesn't tank on this fight.

At the moment we have me on the priest, two rogues, a mage, and a shaman interrupting, the druid on the rogue and the warrior on the paladin. Is this an acceptable setup or should the druid and I switch places, or is it even a fairly minor thing?
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Tyaera

Postby Worldie » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:51 pm

It would be better to have you on rogue, warrior on the priest, and a druid on the paladin.

The warrior can provide a additional interrupt, freeing a DPS, and reducing raid damage.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby StopPokingMe » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:13 am

Lore wrote:
Atreidies wrote:
Lore wrote:I tank the rogue. He does go magic immune, but as long as you have a hunter ready to misdirect on command it's not a big deal, and it's certainly a great deal easier to deal with than him going melee immune with a Warrior or Druid tank.

Done this as holy and prot both, I do NOT recommend this as Holy, I got my ass handed to me as he's the only mob that crushes there, but I certainly had an easier time keeping him under control than the other tanks.

This just in: raid bosses are hard to tank as a Holy spec. Who knew! ;)

TY for the tip Lore, apparently I've been doing it all wrong.
StopPokingMe

Postby honorshammer » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:27 pm

Would you recommend switching to a weapon like Sun Eater for the Rogue?

Higher white DPS/threat if you get Spell Warding, plus more avoidance to dodge more of his attacks?
honorshammer

PreviousNext

Return to Black Temple