Remove Advertisements

starting gruull's next week

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

starting gruull's next week

Postby Shadraak » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:16 pm

hopefully, my gl says we have enough people to do it, and we're going to try to attempt it next week, we're able to do full kara clear, and za up to 4/6 we have problems on hexx.... most of us are quite well geared, just curious if i can OT it in my current gear which is over kara and good for za, and i've been watching bosskillers lately but confused on what to do while ot'ing
Shadraak

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:49 pm

if you can tank Lynx you definitely can tank maulgar/gruul. Same applies to your other tanks.

on HLM: 1 tank on maulgar, 1 mage on krosh, boomkin/hunters on Kiggler and 2 tanks on Olm(this is where any offtanking happens)
On Olm, the deal is: he death coils and runs all over the place after the coiled tank. When he does that, just taunt him and keep building threat. This way you have better control of his positioning and build more threat. Otherwise he's tanked like anything else.

On gruul... just tank him in the middle. Avoid the cave-ins and save avoidance trinkets for silences(specially if holy shield is down). As an offtank, just make sure you're second on threat. Holy shield is the lowest priority spell if you're low on mana. As soon as he's positioned, blow your threat cooldowns and just do your best to stay second. You'll chug pots early and a shadowpriest is a killer difference.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Rónin » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:18 pm

If I were you I would try to convince my Guild Leader to be MT-ing Gruul himself, while letting a Druid OT him. With the amount of spell damage you have on your level, you will enable your DPS to go all out on Gruul. Considering Gruul has an indirect "enrage timer" (due to his Growth), this will give more added value to the raid, than when you are OT-ing, which is a pain, because you need to go nuts on all your threat boosting trinkets, abilities and mana potions to keep yourself away from going OOM. A druid has a far more easy job on maintaining the second spot on the list than you.

Oh, and don't let them uncourage you by saying that Gruul's Silence ability will eat you alive, because I have yet to encounter the first time when my Cool Down is there on the same time as his Silence.

For the rest if you are going to MT him:
* tank him in the middle;
* keep your Holy Shield rotations compact, without any margin for a crushing blow (otherwise you will get problems with silence);
* move away from the Cave-ins, especially after growth 8-11 (you have to figure this out by yourself);
* let the melee DPS know that you need to be the first back into the fight after the ground slam;
* spread out on the Ground Slam;
* buff up to the maximum: buffs, foods, pots, flasks, nightmare seeds, etc.

If you are still going to OT him, just follow the advice from the post above.

Have fun and Good Luck!

Regards,
Rónin

Postby vutharic » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:52 pm

ok. i have done both jobs in this fight. ot is one of the hardest things i have ever done because ur not getting threat with holy sheild. basically go through ur normal rotation (not including holy sheild) and spam ur AV and ur AW when ever cooldowns are up. also bring a bunch of mana potions and chug it when u have 1000 mana left. Make sure Crusader is on the boss. and keep hitting that judgment of right, that is what is going to give you the most spike threat. IF you do find yourself oom with no pots then get a judge of wisdom on the boss ask for a misdirect and regen quick.
other then that u can stand in the falling rocks for a bit but healers dont like that lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyz7it0_oyw

thats a video of 2 prot paladins tanking gruul
4/6 ssc 3/4 tk 5/5 hyjal 5/9 bt - personal progression
to see my progression and some how to videos with a paladin tank
http://www.youtube.com/user/haws217
vutharic

Location: Underground lair, planning what evil things im gonna do to naj and akama....

Postby UMIO » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:33 am

i found OT gruul pretty easy and i had no mana problems, the hardest part was keeping 2nd aggro in the first minute of the fight. after that the strike he does gives you about 700mana and the cave ins do the rest
UMIO

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag