Should I be Tanking Heroics?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:57 pm

Yes, keep at it!
88%
No, Gear up and Learn2Play, noob!
12%

Total votes : 17

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:52 pm

pyrotechniq wrote:Make sure mobs that can fear are cc'ed if your aoe tanking. God I love fear ward

Giev.

Although I hear they're "spreading it around" next patch.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Dunkan » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:29 pm

Much better runs through Heroics now, thanks for the advice.

dunk
Khaz'goroth Oceanic
Dunkan

Postby Shamroth » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:09 am

Puss wrote:- Melee is your strong point , Magic your weak : Nuke casters first !

- Keep holy shield up at all time : good threat

- Use all your mana on all your pulls. Tell your healer to do the same.

-Puss

While I disagree on several points, I see most have already been addressed, here are some I wanted to add a bit to.

- Out of the Heroics I have run (Ramparts/First boss Mana Tombs/All of Mech/All of Sethekk) I've noted that it's the Melee that are most beefed in Heroics, usually casters can cast away at me and I hardly notice (aside from fears/etc). So be wary of thinking of the melee as your strong point if your gear isn't beefed (AC/health mostly I presume).

- Keep Holy Shield up at all times to avoid crushing blows!! Especially on some of the crazy melee mobs like the Devastators (?) in the last half of Mech. It can be imperitive that you time your other casts so as not to miss the end of the HS cooldown. Sometimes this means waiting a second for that JoR or Consecrate.

- Why burn through your mana if you don't have to? Your DPS'ers and healer will likely be good for a couple of pulls, don't hold them up! An alternative, if your healer can keep up, is to tank more mobs and unleash hell as your mana will be filled from the heals!

- Additionally, if your group is not focus firing on the mark, then don't continue until it is clear what they are supposed to do... or let one die. :)

- Tip: I have my number pad keys bound to the raid marks in the Key Bindings menu. There may be other solutions but it sure as hell beats right-clicking.

- Tip2: I have a free 7 player vent server hosted on my machine with a dyndns.org client to keep a static address. I invite PUGgers to join that since my guild vent is off limits to them.

- Tip3: If you don't have some sort of taunt macro by now, make one. This works well:
/assist
/cast Righteous Defense
/assist

- Tip4: I also have a similiar macro to cleanse myself for situations like the first boss in Sethekk when the adds are debuffing the begeezus out of me. Also many healer classes cannot cleanse all that we can. I think it is:
/target Shamroth
/cast cleanse
/assist
Shamroth

Postby Shamroth » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:13 am

Everlight wrote:An alternate tactic (if you know the pull contains highly dangerous mobs that must be CC'ed) is to fling the shield, put up HS, and your healers won't pull healing aggro in the few seconds it takes you to confirm the mob has been sheeped, step back a few yards, and then Consecrate.

I agree and do this myself regularily. Not sure how much melee DPS, like rogues, enjoy the moving target. :wink:
Shamroth

Postby Nerfage » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:06 am

- Tip3: If you don't have some sort of taunt macro by now, make one. This works well:
/assist
/cast Righteous Defense
/assist

- Tip4: I also have a similiar macro to cleanse myself for situations like the first boss in Sethekk when the adds are debuffing the begeezus out of me. Also many healer classes cannot cleanse all that we can. I think it is:
/target Shamroth
/cast cleanse
/assist

ARRRGGG!!!! MY EYES!

Those are some truly ugly macro's :cry:

How bout these instead.

Taunt
/cast [target=targettarget] Righteous Defense

Self cleanse (btw, I have no clue how your cleanse was suppose to work..)
/cast [target=player] Cleanse

There is SO much that can go wrong with using /assist macro's like that...With the ones I have provided, your target never changes from what you choose in the first place.

Example: The mage is in charge of keeping moon sheep, and as such will target moon every so often... well, Random Mob #42 likes the taste of cloth over plate so goes after the mage. You, being a bringer of light, want that mob on you not your group mate, so use your macro.

<click on random mob #42>
/assist
<Mage is now targeted >
/cast Righteous Defense
/assist
<Moon is targeted.>

Your swing time came in time to break sheep that nano second. Lucky for you, that mob was also taunted because of your special taunt, but the problem is now that you have 3 angry mobs trying to pry the tasty meat out from that tough shell.

The healer wasn't expecting the spike damage done to you, so didn't have a heal qued up, and is trying like mad to play catch up. This while the mage is annoyed at having to resheep after his close brush with death.

It worked as writen, but not as intended.

I still have no clue how your cleanse works... when you hit it... you target your self, cast cleanse... then assist your self? doesn't that make you retarget your self?

Edit: weird WoW code prioritizing I guess... one target per macro I read somewhere
Nerfage

Previous

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics