Remove Advertisements

How do I "learn" instances?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

How do I "learn" instances?

Postby icemanjmw » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:01 pm

Okay, this is my 4th high level character, I have 2 DPSers (70 Lock, 60 Hunter) and a 70 Druid who I planned to tank with but ended up DPSing with almost all the time because I just lacked confidence in my tank abilities.

So for this Pally, which I plan to tank %-mans, Heroics, and eventually get into Raids with, how should I go about learning how to tank him before and in Outland?

Should I just grab a PUG and go into each one, starting with Ramps, and learn in the line of fire? I've read up and I think I can do it, but I'm afraid of messing up and getting a bad reputation. I'm afraid of being blacklisted before I even hit 70, has anyone else encountered this problem and what did you do?

Thanks in advance, awesome site.
icemanjmw

Postby moduspwnens » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:06 pm

Yeah, Ramparts is the first one you'll actually be able to get a group for, and is a good taste of real tanking. You can learn it there. Just be sure you do enough quests to get halfway descent tanking gear.

Also, the AH will help.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby QuantumDelta » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:40 pm

Still confused as to why everyone does ramparts first.

Botanica, Mechanar, Underbog, Slave Pens, heck I'd push it at shattered halls (4 badges) are all easier.
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Postby moduspwnens » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:26 pm

icemanjmw wrote:I'm afraid of being blacklisted before I even hit 70

I mean at like, 60.

As far as heroics, Slave Pens is probably a good starter, as is Mechanar, and perhaps Botanica. I've heard Durnholde was dumbed down, but I'm not sure how dumbed, as I haven't been there recently.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby icemanjmw » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:04 pm

QuantumDelta wrote:Still confused as to why everyone does ramparts first.

Botanica, Mechanar, Underbog, Slave Pens, heck I'd push it at shattered halls (4 badges) are all easier.

Sorry, I was talking about regulars in my OP. But is SH really that easy in Heroic?
icemanjmw

Postby Mehnalas » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:30 pm

icemanjmw wrote:

Sorry, I was talking about regulars in my OP. But is SH really that easy in Heroic?
No. >.>

Well atleast not in the stereotypical method of pally tanking.
Lore(lol) wrote:Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nope.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Mehnalas
Mehnalas

Postby rodos » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:41 pm

I wouldn't suggest pugs when you're starting out if there's any way you can get guild runs instead. Having friends around who are happy to make constructive comments rather than calling you a n00b and giving you the /kick is the most helpful. If your guild has an experienced tank who's levelling a dps or healer in a similar range to you that would be ideal -- they should be able to give you good tips.

I've you've got 3 70's already then I assume you know the instances fairly well. I played pretty much solo all the way to 70, and never learned the pulls. This makes heroics a bit more of a stress -- I'm only just getting comfortable with some of them now. You shouldn't have that problem.
rodos

Postby Tiranknight » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:48 pm

The only way to learn is just by jumping straight in and starting to tank. Always survey the situation, see which groups of mobs to start clearing...always be mindful of patrols... look up/read up on the types of mobs and their abilities and then come to a decision of how to apply Crowd Control if it is available to you.

If you are really not that comfortable going into an instance for the first time ask someone else in your group if they are familiar with the instance and can mark the pulls. The first few times going into a new instance you will probably wipe a few times learning the pulls, and the mobs abilities... but after a few runs you will know exactly how to pull the groups, all the mob's abilities, and you will know the Boss encounters by heart and exactly what you should do. That will speed up your future runs considerably.

Get in... start tanking. Learning all the instances in Regular Mode while leveling up Helps a ton by the time you're ready to reach Heroic Mode tanking.
Tiranknight

Postby UMIO » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:56 pm

get someone that has done the instance before to mark for you generally makes it better because they are experienced in the instance
UMIO

Postby Andurin » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:24 am

UMIO wrote:get someone that has done the instance before to mark for you generally makes it better because they are experienced in the instance

Indeed, ran trough all the instances on my priest and shaman (healer and dps) for uncountable number of times... Just look how they do it, and then look if its the way for you or if you got a better way yourself.

And on the other hand, from the people that I level with is only 1 person left that I see regulairy in Looking For Group... The others seem to have dissapeared... And i`m sure of it that they didnt blacklist me :P
Andurin

Postby Rokh » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:56 pm

OMG YES YES YES YES

I SAY THIS EVERY DAY HERE AND NO ONE EVER LISTENS

Just because ramparts was the 'first' outlands instance, does not mean it is the easy heroic everyone says it is.. Threat droppers, Mortal strike, some CC required... its a pretty hard instance for new 70s.

Botanica Botanica Botanica !!!!!!!!!!!!!
1. Most mobs hit for less than 2k (in ramps you can get MS for a good 4-5k per mob on you if you dont have enough CC)

2. EVERYTHING (even bosses) is UNCHANGED from normal botanica (if you remember all the TK instances were not out on release of TBC.. they were rush job finished and tossed out a few weeks into release)

3. Shatar Rep + 5 badges. Crest of the Shatar is IMO the best shield pre Gruul/ZA shield... beats the badge shield and Kara shield hands down with all that damn STA.
Rokh

Postby Mishdorf » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:06 pm

Rokh wrote:

OMG YES YES YES YES

I SAY THIS EVERY DAY HERE AND NO ONE EVER LISTENS

Just because ramparts was the 'first' outlands instance, does not mean it is the easy heroic everyone says it is.. Threat droppers, Mortal strike, some CC required... its a pretty hard instance for new 70s.

Botanica Botanica Botanica !!!!!!!!!!!!!
1. Most mobs hit for less than 2k (in ramps you can get MS for a good 4-5k per mob on you if you dont have enough CC)

2. EVERYTHING (even bosses) is UNCHANGED from normal botanica (if you remember all the TK instances were not out on release of TBC.. they were rush job finished and tossed out a few weeks into release)

3. Shatar Rep + 5 badges. Crest of the Shatar is IMO the best shield pre Gruul/ZA shield... beats the badge shield and Kara shield hands down with all that damn STA.

Well now that the SSO shields are out there and available, then you should be going for them over the crest of the sha'tar. I have got the crest, the two different SSO shields (the spell damage one I have two of - one with stam and the other with BR enchants). Of these I really have the least use for the Sha'tar shield. I should hopefully be getting the shield from ZA and/or Nightbane sooner or later, but the SSO shields are epic for a reason.

"mana efficiency is for people who aren't tanking enough mobs" - Knaughty
Mishdorf

Postby Fivelives » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:26 am

Botanica is quite a bit of an eye-opener if people run in there expecting it to be the same on heroic as it is on normal. The greenkeeper/mender pulls are some of the hardest hitting trash in any heroic, and they're casters to boot. Mender hits for 3.5-4k and greenkeepers hit for 2-3k.

I've got 20k hp between fort and kings along with a pocket priest that tops out at 2500 +heals (buffed, 2300 unbuffed), and I still go out of my way to find a shadow priest for heroic Bot to MC the menders.
Fivelives

Postby caboom » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:43 am

I would say of the easy badge run instances u could start with Mecha, Botanica, SP and UB, make sure u get CC u need(mage is a must always and i never say no to a rogue aswell) but to rly learn an instance u have to do the tough ones, MGT is prolly your best deal as ur prolly going for the comendation anyhow, with a decent healer and CC that are on their toes u should give MGT hc a go as soon as possible, if u can handle MGT, tank skill wise, u can tank anyother hc imho.
caboom

Postby Frickit » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:36 am

Best tanking experience I got while learning came from mara and sunken temple. By the time I was finished with those dungeons I knew how to tank and how to bring PuGs thru dungeons. I almost forgot BRD too. And then ya at 60 go to hellfire and then zangarmarsh. ramps, sp, ub then get ready for the dreaded auchidon ones ugh...Its good to go through them at least a few times though it is def good practice in stressful tanking situations.

I already had experience on outland dungeons with my hunter so tanking them was 90% knowing the instance and 10% doing what I do with my tank. Then its about knowing your healer at the moment and surviving with his help. Put out as much threat as you can while still surviving...have fun tanking :D
Frickit

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics