Remove Advertisements

The Steamvault destroys my tankadin

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

The Steamvault destroys my tankadin

Postby John Ra » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:22 am

Never before have I had such problems with mobs as with the giant, nasty, bog elites in SV. They were three-shotting me, and my team ended up having to replace me. Prior to this, I was moving through Coilfang and Auchindaun dungeons with ease.

Two nights ago, I got so disheartened by that incident that I respecced to Holy. I did this for other reasons, as well, like how powerful healadins are in raids and PVP, but yeah... I couldn't handle it though. I've been Prot ever since level 40, and I can't do anything else. Healing bores the be-jesus out of me too. I specced back lastnight but am slightly afraid to venture back into level 70 5-mans.

I'll be honest though, I just dinged to 70 last week, so I'm fairly new to endgame 5-man instances, and like most requirements for tanking a dungeon, I should be mid to high in level to succeed, as opposed to healers or DPS, who can be lower.

Therefore, since most of my items are greens "of the Champion," maybe I'm not strong enough yet? You be the judge. I'm 25% short of uncrushable and a little worried about that. Am I doing everything right? Should I be focusing on something else besides Champion gear to raise this?

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... nitorturer

One note about my spec: I use that Spiritual Focus talent in the Holy tree mainly for soloing. Being able to heal myself in combat with only 30% of interruption is nice, and I've used it during tough boss fights too. Also, I switch between 3 different sets of gear: Soloing (spell damage), Healing and Tanking (defense rating), and I was in a hurry to log off lastnight, so some of that gear might still be part of the other two sets.

Anyway...

I think I screwed up and disenchanted some of the green items that are on the gear list, but only one or two. What I want to do is get my Righteous set and move towards Heroics or Raids from there. Do you have any strategies for getting gear? Are Botanica and Mechanar pretty easy on green gear tankadins? Maybe I should run some 66-69 instances to build up my gear for the last big three level 70 instances? I'm in no hurry right now; I used to be, but I'm not anymore...
John Ra

Postby ulushnar » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:35 am

I've definately tanked the Steamvault with less stats than you. :) I'd be tempted to say that your deaths were the fault of the healers. The Elite Giants do hit hard, but if your healer's on the ball they shouldn't have a problem keeping you up.

You can't be crushed by anything that isn't lvl 73 or higher. Therefore, practically, Crushing Blows are only a concern in raids. You've got 490 Defense, which is more than enough to be uncrittable as well (you only need 485 to tank five-mans and heroics).

Your stamina and armor are a little low. You can deal with the former by getting some stamina gems for your blue pieces (Solid Stars of Elune if you can, or Solid Azure Moonstones if cash is tight) They're all really good and will probably be with you into Karazhan. The latter's just a matter of gearing up.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby guillex » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:40 am

First off... You have 6 ungemmed items. That = +72 stam that you don't have, which will help you GREATLY.

The +spirit on your chest is useless... Tanking or solo. +6 to all stats or +150 health.

You don't have KoT rep yet, which is good in a sense. Start running durnholde and BM (you have to anyways for your Kara key) to get revered for the Timewarden's Leggings, Continuum Blade, and Glyph of the Defender.

Grind out more rep with Cenarion Expedition for the Strength of the Untamed.

For most other things, check out http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/viewtopic.php?t=163 this topic in the Advanced Training forum. It goes into detail about all the gear that you should get for 5mans and Raiding, before hitting Karazhan. Things like the Warchief's Mantle (Old Hillsbrad quest) or Shoulderguards of the Bold. Easily accessible upgrades through quests and rep grinding instances.
Last edited by guillex on Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby ulushnar » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:40 am

Also, try and grab these two quest items, they'll really boost your survivability:

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=29783

and

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=25819
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Tranzity » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:41 am

You can skip the Giants.
Tranzity

Postby John Ra » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:56 am

Guillex wrote:First off... You have 6 ungemmed items. That = +72 stam that you don't have, which will help you GREATLY.

The +spirit on your chest is useless... Tanking or solo. +6 to all stats or +150 health.
Yeah, spirit is useless, but I was leveling my enchanting and needed to hit a chest piece. I'll do the +150 health soon.

As for socket items, I had just purchased them lastnight and was in a hurry to log. I'm also running out of money because I haven't farmed or quested since my final ding. I;ll get some gems soon!

Should I concentrate on more on Strength or Agility?

Thanks for the quick responses so far!
John Ra

Postby Vanifae » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:00 am

John Ra wrote:Should I concentrate on more on Strength or Agility?

Neither, just Stamina.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby guillex » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:53 am

Vanifae wrote:
John Ra wrote:Should I concentrate on more on Strength or Agility?

Neither, just Stamina.

QFT

You're going to start seeing that blue quest/rep rewards will upgrade your current stats quite nicely. You may need to play a balancing act on your block/dodge/parry ratings, but as long as you're keeping defense at least 490, you should be alright. Do the instance runs (regular 5mans), get to questing, and you'll see a significant improvement.

Don't let people be fooled by your low hp base. While it is low, the gems will help. A guildmate of mine (whom I healed for before I changed from Holy to Prot) was running regular Bot with just a little more hp than you, and while it helped that I was running around with 1575 +healing at that time, he was not hard to heal at all.

So, out of all that, your next step is really to start upgrading to pre-raid blues, while trying to hit the magic 67.4% avoidance (without HS up). Remember that dodge is cheaper than parry to stack, while block is cheaper than both. Block becomes defunct after a while, and you'll want to start looking at getting more dodge to even out your avoidance. Just keep your stam/gems/enchants up-to-date, and you'll do just fine.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby John Ra » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:05 am

Well, lastnight I tried my second attempt on SV annnd...

0 wipes
0 deaths (well, we had 2 deaths on the first boss because people weren't moving away from the thunderstorms)
0 loss of aggro

Thanks a lot for the advice that helped me respec back from Holy to my beloved Protection.
John Ra

Postby Flex » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:11 am

quest Netherstorm. Replace your "of the Champion" drops with those tanking pieces.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Vanifae » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:23 am

Good job.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Return to Basic Training & Talents