Al'ar and his adds

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Ayasune » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:45 am

The Embers of Al'ar hit physically, so FR is wasted + their attacks can be blocked. You can hold around 6-10 without any issues, but it's kinda embarassing catching up new adds with a bunch of critters in your back.

We use to have 2 tanks, me and a warrior or druid. I catch them all up, and the second tank comes around taunting some adds off me. As well, we kill the adds nearby with a hand ful of people, but don't have any high focus on them. In the end, we're standing around with ~ 4-6 adds left when Al'ar bites the dust.
Ayasune

Postby kedalic » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:54 am

I throw on my block value gear, which sits at about 500, and just hold them. One healer on me, one hunter to pick up adds, and I taunt them off him after he gets em. With that much block, each add is only about 250 dps, so 10 of em on me by the end of the fight is still handled by the one healer. Lastly, we use a DPS warrior to taunt the lowest health one off me, where the warlocks/hunters toss a few dots on it to finish it off, which keeps me from accidentally killing any on myself and getting spiked (the only real danger). Killing an add takes 70k dmg, and only takes 72k health off al'ar, so it isn't worth doing, if you can park and control them. Besides, I like to pad my dps stats (normally 800-1k dps from all those adds) ;p.
kedalic

Postby Gloll » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:44 pm

I actually havent posted to much here on the forums, been checking them out for strats and stuff what to do, thx Lore and PsiVen u been big help.

Well we had interesting time when we killed al'ar we didnt kill any adds on phase one, i just picked them all up and took them very low in health with the melee dps. It does get a little healing intense stacking that many adds, but at the start of phase 2 u can take him down alot if u turn all range on them. Usually this does sac yourself if u cant get spam healed so ss helps, also i did live with some fire pots healthstones and other things. Also u can try to bring less adds, 3-4 is a good amount if they are taken low in phase 1. I try to stack alot of spell damage for this fight just so i have quick aggro on the adds.
Gloll

Postby Daeren » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:14 am

I do the standard 1 add at the time in p1, and 2 in phase 2. It seems to work pretty nicely.

My spell damage does wonders in this fight, noone pulls the adds off me.
Daeren

Postby SmurfZG » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:54 am

has anyone tried gathering a bunch of adds (say ~10) and have casters aoe them? that would make for a pretty fast killing on alar.... I'm thinking shadowfury + divine shield right before they die or something :)

Just throwing some ideas around
SmurfZG

Postby enbee » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:01 am

In our al'ar tactic I tank up all the adds from phase1, get them to 5ish% when he pops up for p2, call aoe, I blow up, soulstone, get buffed, and gather up all the adds in p2 again, everyone focusses on the boss. We've done this succesfully 4 times now, though I'm desperate to find a way that doesn't involve me losing 10% dura by default, without me wearing fire gear (probably impossible). Last week though we had such terrible dps I ended up with 22 adds on me by the time al'ar dropped, taking scary damage, and cleaning that up also takes a while, a warrior taunting 1 off at a time killing it away from me, fun tactic nonetheless.

On our first kill our gm had the bright idea to aoe all the adds on me after al'ar died (all adds being on different %'s), so after 2 exploded and I was on 1k hp I bubbled, causing a horendous post kill wipe, and we re enter only to find out the adds don't despawn, comedy :>
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Postby Eloff » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:12 am

I blow up

Why don't you just divine shield instead of blow up?

Seems like you should be able to shield, run away from whoever they go after, then un-shield to have them come back to you. With the right timing, you'll kill them all while they are pathing.

But... I haven't tried that fight yet. So let me know how it works!

Also, how do you make sure that all the adds blow up on you at the same time? Are they like the ZG bats where they give you a small warning before the explosion?
"With your shield or on it" - Spartan Code of Conduct

Eloff

Postby enbee » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:24 am

Eloff wrote:
I blow up

Why don't you just divine shield instead of blow up?

Seems like you should be able to shield, run away from whoever they go after, then un-shield to have them come back to you. With the right timing, you'll kill them all while they are pathing.

But... I haven't tried that fight yet. So let me know how it works!

Also, how do you make sure that all the adds blow up on you at the same time? Are they like the ZG bats where they give you a small warning before the explosion?

I could try divine shielding but it'd have to be at perfect timing, I'm soulstoned anyways so no need to take the chance.

The explosion occurs when an add dies, I try to have them all on the same % when we aoe them so they will explode nigh on simultaniously (many damages to me!)
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Postby pyrotechniq » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:53 pm

Enkindu wrote:Hi!
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Stormscale&n=Enkindu
Before I begin: yes, I don't have the gear really required for this encounter, but alas I was forced into it (and actually had to get in the tank rotation during Phase 1 on our last 2 guild attempts because our warrior had an emergency issue to deal with. Luckily, this wasn't too hard and only ate 1 CB and only had 3 Debfuffs stacked because I can't charge..but it was alright) and A'lar apparently liked me so much that he stopped doing platform rotations during both attempts (the last attempt, he skipped 3 bigwigs timers on platform changes just to make some boss lovin at me!) and sucessfully lead him down from 33% to 0% in phase 1.

but anyway: my main beef is the add tanking during Phase 2:

I tried different tactics:
1) Avenging shield the mob, then taunt...No effect. the damn birds went straight after the Shadow priest (who was only focusing dpsing A'lar)
2) Consecrate where they pop then taunt..no effect. Still went after another shaman healer..
3) chasing the fuckers and HoJ'ing them and then taunt /consecrate/Judge..nope..it actually took 2 more taunts after which to finally peel ONE of the damned birds back onto myself, and eventually wiping the raid :cry:

My main question is:
what am I doing wrong? How can I improve this? are there any addons/macros ect that could help me get those fucking birds onto me in a faster and more effecient fashion and stick to me like glue? Do I need more spell damage / spell hit? Anything that is remotely helpful and any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated and welcomed!

Thanks!

P.S: what is a good balance of FR gear vs Mitigation for those adds?

I try to take as much dmg as possible.. :wink: I like my mana and mana pots are expensive
pyrotechniq

Postby kedalic » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:02 am

Update: Downed him last night. They appear to have hotfixed the adds to do more dmg, as I clocked a 150 dmg per swing increase from my wws logs on the encounter last week, despite gaining another 75 block value between the attempts. As a result, I changed my gearing to stacking stamina, spell dmg, and then block value, rather than just mitigation like before. The warrior in charge of taunting the kill target off was having a rough time (healers were having issues tracking the extra target and he was getting spiked), so we changed back to killing them on me. If your raid leader suggests aoeing them all, kindly remind him of the impossibility of timing them all dying at once, and how much it sucks to have 3-4 run after and explode next to various dpsers in the middle of the raid ;p.

I was the only tank on adds, and after killing them all in P1 as they spawned (with a few hunters helping me out), I switched to tanking the pairs near (but not against) the north wall, so as to have better awareness of flame patches. The raid hunters set up a misdirect rotation to send the new adds onto me, with a hunter multishotting to pick them up onto himself (giving me a single taunt target) if MD was down, while ranged dps and hunters killed my marked add, to keep the spikes to one at a time. If you don't have enough hunters, just assign any other high threat class that can take a few hits (dps warrior, or ele shammy for instance) to pick up the adds, giving you a single taunt target, since you will be busy tanking the adds, avoiding flame patches, and sticking in healer range after explosions ;p.
kedalic

Postby Kayallah » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:29 am

We're starting Al'ar this week and I was told I need to get FR gear for tanking the adds, but here you guys say no to FR gear... What should I be aiming for really? :P

Just stack +damage and block and stam?
Kayallah

Postby Cakes » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:53 am

Kayallah wrote:We're starting Al'ar this week and I was told I need to get FR gear for tanking the adds, but here you guys say no to FR gear... What should I be aiming for really? :P

Just stack +damage and block and stam?

FR gear is good for one thing in this fight: resisting explosions. The vast majority of damage that you'll take is melee damage from holding adds. If you're doing the strat where you just offtank dozens of adds, then you'll want as much stam and block value as you can get. The spell damage will help, but you'll be taking a ton of damage with a lot of adds on you.
Cakes

Postby kedalic » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:39 am

If you offtank the adds, go straight stam/armor/block val/block rating. Getting to 400-500ish block value and 30%+ block will, with all those adds and redoubt, mean nearly 90% of all unavoided hits will be blocked, for a massive amount of block value based mitigation.

If you go the blow them up on you route, go spell dmg and stamina, possibly a little fire resist. On my WWS parses, I was 90% melee, and 10% fire dmg when holding the adds. When blowing up the adds, that changed to 50% melee, 50% fire dmg, so some fire resist would definitely improve things. You won't die from the melee, you die from the explosion spikes, or the fing flame patches ;p. In both cases, don't tank right against the wall, you need more room to avoid the flame patches ;p.
kedalic

Postby Oranniv » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:28 am

Link was broken to the vid?
Oranniv

Postby Trevize » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:01 pm

We do it with me tanking all of the adds in phase 2. Best way I found to get aggro on the newly spawned ones is to have your resto shaman put his earth balls on you right when the new adds spawn. Instant 10 heals on yourself and they run right to you. Works like clockwork.

Backup is to have the pally healing you to use RF and no salv. He always gets aggro and you taunt it off him.
Trevize

PreviousNext

Return to Tempest Keep