Fathom Lord

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Fathom Lord

Postby Mortehl » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:38 am

So,

We've finally progressed to the Fathom Lord. Who's tanked which and how did it go? :D Trying to figure out where I'm best served.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Lore » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:45 am

The shaman (generally killed first) is capable of some ridiculous spike damage. None of the adds can crush, so we usually try to put a druid tank there. Make sure he has at least one grounding totem, preferably two, as a windfury proc followed by a frost shock can drop just about anyone.

The hunter is what I usually tank (though I have successfully tanked the shaman). He's basically two adds, and once you have him in position you don't have to worry about the mana drain too much since threat won't be a big issue (the DPS is all killing the shaman, giving you plenty of time to gen some threat). All you really have to worry about with him is his bestial wrath, but save trinkets/healthstones/pots for when he does that and it's easy.

We can tank the priest easy enough as well, though since her heals have to be interrupted it's usually a good place to stick a Warrior tank as an extra interrupt.

Karathress himself we can tank, and I've heard many success stories of Paladins tanking him. Basically you want your strongest/best geared tank on him, regardless of class, as he's capable of some pretty nasty stuff.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby matchbox » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:06 am

You will be tanking the hunter most likely. Its an easy job pull him yourself and walk backwards so you can keep an eye out for when he summons his pet, normally you'll see him have a 1 second cast time and he'll turn around just put a consecrate up and you should pick him up fine. You should tank him against a wall because he has a knock back. I use Jotc on him because my shadow priest normally ride me on threat but every other tank should have lots of threat so they can blow fades/shatters early. easy enough and once he's down you can heal or become a jow bot i do a little of both.

and watch out for which pet he summons i dont have anything to back it up but the lurker pet seems to be easier to heal thru then the sporebat pet.
matchbox

Postby Eliane » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:45 am

I always tank the hunter and his pet. I stop half way to my tank spot and lay down consecration to catch his pet when it spawns. Then I either back up against the wall where I'm supposed to be or get knock back to said spot :D
Eliane

Postby Ownopotamus » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:48 pm

I've tanked everything on that fight except for the Priest.

I would say a Paladin is best for tanking the shaman (fast attacks!) or the hunter. Tanking the hunter is what I generally do because it is extremely easy for me to hold aggro on both adds.

Also I thought all 3 adds were "bosses" as well. How come they can't crush?
Ownopotamus

Postby matchbox » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:57 pm

they're all 71 elites
matchbox

Postby Lore » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:00 pm

Ownopotamus wrote:I've tanked everything on that fight except for the Priest.

I would say a Paladin is best for tanking the shaman (fast attacks!) or the hunter. Tanking the hunter is what I generally do because it is extremely easy for me to hold aggro on both adds.

Also I thought all 3 adds were "bosses" as well. How come they can't crush?

http://www.wowhead.com/?search=fathom-guard

They're level 71 elites.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Girard » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:25 pm

If you're on priest duty, just a few notes...

She hits pretty weak (2k or so damage) but her frost damage is nasty for us (about 3-4k). I took her with about 150 frost resist and got partial resists that cut her damage down substantially. Made it easy enough that one healer could be on me so the rest could focus on the shaman / hunter tanks.

End of the encounter saw me at about 4% damage taken, vs Fathom-Lord's tank who was at about 8%
Girard

Postby Menardi » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:06 am

I tanked the Hunter tonight for our first successful fight. As people have said, just pull it yourself, walk backwards to the wall and consecrate when the pet comes out. Bestial Wrath+Beast Within might hurt you a bit but you should be fine. I actually forgot Righteous Fury for this fight (I was healing all weekend) and still managed to build enough threat to tank successfully.
Menardi

Postby Lollore » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:00 pm

So the hunter doesn't mana drain the tanks? I was subbed out for a warrior tonight because there was "nothing I could tank" on Fathom Lord.
Lollore

Postby Worldie » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:15 pm

The hunter does Manadrain the tank. But since you are tanking shitloads of damages and then getting healed throught it, mana isnt a big issue at all.

I usually also tank the Hunter+Pet. Just be aware that the lurker despawns after like 1 minute, so maybe save your JoR to grab the next pet that spawns.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Tiandelin » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:02 pm

Like most of the others who have posted, I tank the hunter. We pull both him and the shaman (tanked by a druid with grounding totem for the shocks) into the corner by the Leo tunnel. I back myself into the corner after picking up the pet so that the knockbacks don't send me flying.

It's really so easy for a paladin to pick up the pet with consecrate and a judgment, and after that you can basically forget about the critter. Holy shield alone should keep it on you without you having to give it a second thought, though I consecrate now and then just in case. Watch out if it despawns though... every time he whistles, you might want to tab target to check on the pet.

Unless you're horribly undergeared, their damage should be manageable. Like Lore said, save pots and trinkets for the The Beast Within, and you might want to warn your healers when it happens. Sometimes they get complacent and aren't expecting the sudden burst damage. Well, at least mine do.

And I've never had a problem with him draining my mana. I do get hit by leeching throw now and then, but I've never run out of mana tanking them.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Daeren » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:46 pm

I'd tank Karathress if the others didn't suck so much on tanking the hunter.
Daeren

Postby Darus » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:47 am

I tank karathress, you have a long time to be on your own so you can use all your stam/avoidance gear.

After the shaman is down youll have to start kite'ing him according to taccs (the only way ive done it) while the shaman tank can go over and build threat on karathress aswell for backup.

When the last add is down, keep him in position and nuke him along with the nova totems. Thats all =)
Darus

Postby Dorvan » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:24 pm

So my guild just made our first attempts on Fathomlord tonight (Leo down! but no fang). I was tanking the hunter and it worked fine, but our guild came up with a question the we couldn't find a good answer to...

What prevents you from simply offtanking the adds and killing Fathomlord, or from just killing the shaman and then the fathomlord?
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern