Keyboard all the way.
22%
Mix it up! I use both.
69%

Total votes : 158

Postby solina » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:15 am

uke wrote:Now the REAL question is...

Who here uses their keyboard to TURN?

And who actually has the guts to admit it? (tanks who keyboard turn...shudder)

Mouse turning gives me motion sickness. So, yeah, I keyboard turn. Hasn't ever given me a problem - ranged taunt probably has something to do with that. (And, to make you even more squeamish - I use the mouse lefty - mouse is for targetting - so I use arrow keys, not WASD/ESDF/etc.)

I also keybind everything - I have a line of oh crap buttons (potions and the like) to click on, but all my tanking abilities are bound to the num-pad. Most common are on the default, and Ctrl switches to an alternative ability list for lesser-used stuff (seal of light, seal of blood, etc.). It's set up so that similar abiliities are on the same button.. e.g. num-9 = seal of wisdom, ctrl-num-9 = seal of light. num-8 = SoR, ctrl-num-8 = SoB. num-0 = bub/debub macro, ctrl-num-0 = BoP. num-4 = cons rank6,4,4,4 macro, ctrl-num-4 = cons rank 1. And so forth. Bartender.
solina

Postby Barathorn » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:18 am

Flipthebird wrote:
Barathorn wrote:Whatever Lev :P

I don't believe in macro's or keybindings, I prefer to play the game 'naturally'.

Barathorn

Do you use add-ons? Cause technically, those arn't all-natural :mrgreen:

I use DBM and Omen, mainly because you can't raid unless you have them installed [as per our guild rules]. I don't use any others. I don't even have a different UI to the standard one.

:)

As I say, I can understand the uses but I don't choose to play that way. I also use the keyboard to turn 50% of the time.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:51 am

I have the habit of turning with the keyboard while flying too. I hate having to adjust my height
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Dianora » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:56 am

For the most often used skill, keybind and direct mouse button bind (center mouse button is consecration).

For the specialized macro such as trinket-wing-consecration, button click.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Skwigelf » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:57 am

If I'm tanking something then it's pretty much all buttons as I'm standing in place for the most part.

2= SoR
9= Judgment
-= Holy Shield
== Consecration
Shift+==Exorcism
7= Avenging Wrath
8= Avengers Shield

If I do have to move, I move mostly with WSAD as I will usually be backing up trying to relocate the boss. If its a fight where I have to run away before an AoE(Murmur) I just turn and run with the mouse and don't even bother with the keyboard.

Heck, even in PvP I barely touch the mouse in combat. Basically I do the same as tanking. Back into a corner so people can't get behind me, then spam Holy shield while refreshing Seal of Wisdom.

Casters? Doesn't seem to matter. Nothing that SHOULD block LoS ever blocks LoS. Standing at Stormpike Graveyard getting attacked by a Moonfire Spamming Moonkin who is standing behind a freaking mountain? Sure that's fine! I mean, sure he's out of my LoS so I cant toss my shield at him, but he can hit me with spells without having to move.
Skwigelf

Postby Kaiser » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:54 am

Lot of good input, which I'm glad to see.

I myself don't actually USE a left handed mouse, but I use my mouse with the left hand. I've done that ever since my first day of playing Rainbow 6, some 10 or more years ago. I am left handed, and it just made more sense to me. Anything I do on the computer now, I always move the mouse to the left side, first.

I use the arrow keys to move, and they keypad holds all the button presses I do. I suppose I never really gave any though to macroing my WHOLE keyboard to button presses, but I can see how that would work...

Thing is, I will be moving soon ( I think ) and my main PC will be left behind. I still have a very good laptop that runs WoW just fine, but it doesn't have my happy number pad on it, so I'm going to find myself losing my comfortable play style.

Does anyone use any other addons besides those listed on the other forum pages to help with macro/ability/button management?
Kaiser

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:33 am

Kaiser wrote:Lot of good input, which I'm glad to see.

I myself don't actually USE a left handed mouse, but I use my mouse with the left hand. I've done that ever since my first day of playing Rainbow 6, some 10 or more years ago. I am left handed, and it just made more sense to me. Anything I do on the computer now, I always move the mouse to the left side, first.

I use the arrow keys to move, and they keypad holds all the button presses I do. I suppose I never really gave any though to macroing my WHOLE keyboard to button presses, but I can see how that would work...

Thing is, I will be moving soon ( I think ) and my main PC will be left behind. I still have a very good laptop that runs WoW just fine, but it doesn't have my happy number pad on it, so I'm going to find myself losing my comfortable play style.

Does anyone use any other addons besides those listed on the other forum pages to help with macro/ability/button management?
ACtion bar mods are very common. Myself I just use macros and keybinds that I made myself, and zomgbuffs is bound to cast the buffs with Ctrl + Alt + W
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Spectrum » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:52 am

I'm running out of macro space on both my paladin and my druid.

Examples:

AS + announce incoming
Mouse-over heal/cleanse macros
Judge + reseal
Trinket macros (so I only need two buttons and they work with all my gear sets)

I use the mouse to turn and look, with buttons 4 and 5 used for various things like marking skull, autorun, mounting, flip-camera, etc. I don't think anyone can say they are performing optimally if they don't have flip-camera bound.

As for keybindings...

I still click on blessings and tradeskills and such.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Ruxpin » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:32 am

Combination of keyboard and mouse here as well. I have ~=cleanse and 1-5 are macroed healing spells (multiple ranks) for mouseover healing with alt-modified self-targeting, and since my fingers are always hovering around wasd, I use ctl and alt modifiers for the keys in that area. I left strafe right on E and left on Q, but ctl-E is holy shield, ctl-alt-E is holy shield rank 1, ctl-Q is taunt, etc. I have "i hate this key" blocking my windows key from opening the start menu, so I use that for vent (I don't talk much anyway). I primarily click on seals and judgements even though they're macroed, just because I feel used to it, and I click things like blessings and infrequently used spells.
Ruxpin
Maintankadonor

Postby Euphoria » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:32 am

I use one of the N52's as well. My keybindings aren't that elaborate but they're intuitive enough that I can't play without my N52 anymore :( It's a crutch.

I agree with the add-ons though. I run Omen, Diamond, Auctioneer, and Pallypower and that's pretty much it.
Euphoria

Postby Dagara » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:54 am

I enjoy posts like this.
For some reason, other people's means of interfacing with the game intrigues me...enough to bring me out of lurking mode.

I'm a (not-so) ashamed clicker. I've tried to teach myself to rely more on the keyboard, but the brain refuses.

With regards to add-ons, I'm a purist. I've vowed that, until I teach myself to create one, I won't use any. (This causes less problems raiding than you might think...though, I'm not hardcore...never been higher than Kara.)

Macros though. Making new ones is a game in itself for me. <3 macros.
Dagara

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:24 am

I click. I do sometimes try a bit of button pushing but I find it a bit awkward and tend to hit things quicker with the mouse (I have crappy hand coordination). I use shift, alt and ctrl modifiers for a few things, but my downranking is macroed by left/right-click.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Skwigelf » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:57 am

Every time I hear people talking aboot macros I can't help but think back to SWG and the good ol' days of "Stand outside city where low level thugs spawn. Start auto-target/attack macro. Go to work/bed. Come back to a new level of whatever weapon skill you were training".
Skwigelf

Postby Dagara » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:07 am

Skwigelf wrote:Every time I hear people talking aboot macros I can't help but think back to SWG and the good ol' days of "Stand outside city where low level thugs spawn. Start auto-target/attack macro. Go to work/bed. Come back to a new level of whatever weapon skill you were training".

Teras Kasi master... Master Pistoleer... :D

Edit: Master Droid Engineer....... damnable holocrons.
Dagara

Postby Trilynne » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:55 am

I use both mouse and keyboard...

But here's something scary: When I started playing WoW, I used my laptop's trackpad. I didn't have a mouse at the time. Once I got a mouse, I NEVER went back. xD It's so much faster to click things now! :P
Trilynne

PreviousNext

Return to General