Remove Advertisements

Talent lvling guide?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Talent lvling guide?

Postby Cyrrix » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:14 am

Hello new people! I just made my first pally after havign one run Shatt halls over and over again. I just fell IN LOVE with their AoE tanking skillz.

My question is do you have a talent guide to AoE tanking as you level? Right now I am a whooping lvl 15 but climbing fast and I was looking for a guide that says at level 16-19 you put points into XXX talent, so I build it best!

Also I got a little bit a twink gear so I am hoping to be able to start AoEing mob asap, and looking for the most info I can get.

Thanks
Cyrrix lvl 14 and rising Pally on Dunemaul
Cyrrix

Postby Zapherik » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:02 am

Well what I did while lvling my Pally was go Ret till lvl 30-35 or so since you do not get the good aoe tanking skills untill that lvl. I found that lvl ret was pretty easy but once i respeced at lvl 30ish it was awesome.
Zapherik

Postby Barathorn » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:42 am

Am working on it, but r/l keeps getting in the way.

Hope to have updated it some more this week.

Barathorn.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Cyrrix » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:56 pm

Barathorn wrote:Am working on it, but r/l keeps getting in the way.

Hope to have updated it some more this week.

Barathorn.

Awesome!

Well what I did while lvling my Pally was go Ret till lvl 30-35 or so since you do not get the good aoe tanking skills untill that lvl. I found that lvl ret was pretty easy but once i respeced at lvl 30ish it was awesome.

I heard this before, but then i also heard you can do it earlier (obv not as many mobs), so I was looking towards it. at 15 I have put in 5/5 for increased blocking, and one point in something else. Would it be better to respec into all ret till I am higher? at level 19 I will have a very nice shield with a mithril spike (Redbreads shield)
Cyrrix lvl 14 and rising Pally on Dunemaul
Cyrrix

Postby Wyleai » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:32 pm

On both the toons in my sig I've been prot since level 10 and used the same spec since 10 level. Only respec'd once on Wyleai because I accidentally put points in the wrong talent...

Path:

Redoubt
Toughness
Fill in line 3 - all of the talents there, max them all out.
Points in Precision until you can get Blessing of Sanctuary
Blessing of Sanctuary
Sacred Duty
Points in One-Handed Weapon Specialization until you can get Holy Shield
Holy shield
Improved Holy shield
Points in Combat Expertise / Ardent Defender until you can get Avenger's Shield
Avenger's Shield at level 50.

From there, fill out the talents you put partial points into.

As you level to 70, make sure Ardent Defender gets maxed out.
Wyleai

Postby bub64882 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:46 am

^^^^^
This is the path I've been taking. I really really want Avenger's Shield at 50, but...

I've been thinking lately that some of the talents in the ret tree would make more sense at the low levels, namely cheaper and faster judgements. I assume anyone tanking takes those two talents, along w/ parry out of the ret tree?

I'm a level 18 Paladin and would love any opinions on this.
bub64882

Postby Wyleai » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:06 pm

I didn't touch the rest tree until After I had everything I wanted out of the prot tree, and it worked just fine for me.

Getting Avenger's Shield as soon as I could was a vital goal for me.
Wyleai

Postby Diocaska » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:42 am

Hitting a mob in the face by throwing your shield is win.

Go for Avengers shield asap.

More serious note. Its your only real "pulling" ability. Its definately worth it if you intend to group for some point of leveling. Even if not its a handy tool to have.
Aurellia(90) Ulshala(85) Diocaska(85) Leighesha(85)
Diocaska

Postby Lypianus » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:49 am

Wyleai wrote:I didn't touch the rest tree until After I had everything I wanted out of the prot tree, and it worked just fine for me.

Getting Avenger's Shield as soon as I could was a vital goal for me.

this

I didn't put a point into anything besides Prot until level 52 or 53, iirc.

Had to get Capt. America asap.
Lypianus

Postby Kelaan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:07 pm

At levels 15-29ish, your ability to AOE tank, while present (due to redoubt and shield spec), is relatively limited: there's not a lot of high stamina and armor gear. While it doesn't suck, it does NOT compare well to ret leveling. Early on, especially if you get Verigan's Fist or one of the new blue 2Hs from early dungeons (deadmines), seal of command is just plan excellent. (I remember healing a BFD group while beating on things with SoCommand, and coming in last damage by only a small margin on everything except boss fights.)

When you then consider that you can get a Corpsemaker around level 29, which is extremely slow and hits like a truck, and that most of the quest rewards and revised dungeon drops support ret, it's quite effective to use it as a leveling spec.

You CAN do it prot; I hope you enjoy it. I found it too tedious before level ~31 or so, and even then I didn't like it until I could get Holy Shield.
Kelaan

Postby Wyleai » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:03 pm

Go for speed over damage in a weapon.

(searching wowhead)

Some good lowbie tank weapons:
http://www.wowhead.com/?items=2&filter= ... =4;crv=1.7

The idea is that with every hit, if you've sealed righteousness and you have improved Righteous fury, you're stacking on a lot of threat. Fast hits means more threat.

Of course, it's going to be rare that you can get some of those... most servers have majority 70 populations, and lowbie greens get sharded rather than auctioned... so settle on anything with a stamina bonus, and just try to push for a lower speed where you can. My current weapon is speed 2.20 on my lowbie draenei... talk about a bad choice, but it's all I've come up with.

As soon as you hit level 20, you're an AoE tank with consecrate. And as soon as you hit this point, you can pretty much lock down threat unless you have very bad play going on in your PUG.

Unfortunately, you will very often have very bad play. But its kind of obvious - pull stealers, clothies that try to melee (or worse tank), people who run ahead of you (see below), people who start DPS before the mob enters your consecrate, people who do that when you're LoS pulling around a corner, people who CC a mob that you are trying to pull around a corner -BEFORE- it gets around that corner -AND- then aggro it on the other side of the corner, etc...

Run ahead:
Zoon your camera all the way in. Now, scroll your view back by 7 ticks on your scroll wheel of your mouse. If you can see anyone's butt other than your own toon, they're too close to the front line. /fail on their part.

If they are in front of or beside you, they get an extra bonus red star for super-special /fail.

If they're a clothie... its a facepalm moment.
Wyleai

Return to Basic Training & Talents