Rate me tanking gear.

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Rate me tanking gear.

Postby Hollyhell » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:40 am

Alright, well ever since I first started tanking (AoE prot lvl grinding) I've wanted to tank on my paladin (or DPS even). I've slowly but surely tried to build the minimum of 3 sets of required gear (holy, ret, prot) and been quasi-lucky when it came to drops and getting the tanking gear.

On my server, there is a dearth of tanks (apparently). I saw a guy spam trade chat for well over an hour for a heroic tank. I've previously tanked the reg. instances, and some Kara, but want a little looksy at my gear.

Yes, I know not everything is enchanted. There are some things I was waiting until I had a better piece (plus, it isn't going to make a HUGE difference. some, but not a large amount). I also have some slightly different gear that I can mix and match as well (of course)

Using tankpoints, it seems like I still have just over a 1% chance to be crushed as well, which makes me a sad panda... I'm thinking of switching out some gems for some more dodge, maybe? Hints, tips, suggestions would be welcome.

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... =Hollyhell
Hollyhell

Postby Baelor » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:02 am

0 spell damage

Baelor does not approve
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Vanifae » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:33 am

You won't have to worry about Crushing Blows in Heroics, probably just need a better ring and you would be there. Your gear looks solid for Seal of Blood tanking, but I always like spell damage since it really enhances everything you do as a paladin tank.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Hollyhell » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:06 pm

Vanifae wrote:You won't have to worry about Crushing Blows in Heroics, probably just need a better ring and you would be there. Your gear looks solid for Seal of Blood tanking, but I always like spell damage since it really enhances everything you do as a paladin tank.

With the 44/17 spec, I tend not to worry as much about spell dmg (and this is my "max mitigation tanking gear" for kara). I do have BP of Righteousness as well, and CB if that's needed.

My main gripe is that pally spells (IIRC) get such a small bonus from +dmg... On top of that, there really isn't any spell dmg tanking gear for pallies until BT (once again, IIRC) other than set pieces. I currently have 1 set piece of t4, and that's the healing legs from gruul's. I now have eternium greathelm, and that makes it hard to justify taking t4 over that. I might do it just to put together a spell dmg set, however.
Hollyhell

Postby Baelor » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:37 pm

Hollyhell wrote:
Vanifae wrote:You won't have to worry about Crushing Blows in Heroics, probably just need a better ring and you would be there. Your gear looks solid for Seal of Blood tanking, but I always like spell damage since it really enhances everything you do as a paladin tank.

With the 44/17 spec, I tend not to worry as much about spell dmg (and this is my "max mitigation tanking gear" for kara). I do have BP of Righteousness as well, and CB if that's needed.

My main gripe is that pally spells (IIRC) get such a small bonus from +dmg... On top of that, there really isn't any spell dmg tanking gear for pallies until BT (once again, IIRC) other than set pieces. I currently have 1 set piece of t4, and that's the healing legs from gruul's. I now have eternium greathelm, and that makes it hard to justify taking t4 over that. I might do it just to put together a spell dmg set, however.

Yes, SoR has a small coefficient. But think about how many times you swing your weapon over the course of a boss fight.

Now think about how many times you judge the boss.

Now think about how much more total threat you would produce for the fight with even 100 spell damage, which would add about 10 extra holy damage (about 20 threat) and however much damage it would add to Judgment of Righteousness (47% coefficient?).

Now consider Consecration's 90+% coefficient, and the extra threat it would add to the all ready amplified threat of Holy Shield.

Sure, it seems small, but tanking is about incremental upgrades. I guarantee you that if you parsed your TPS with King's Defender and then swapped in your Continuum Blade with 40 spell damage and parsed TPS on the same fight, you would notice a sizeable difference. And consider this:
There are 2 things a tank should do. Stay alive, and hold aggro. You're probably doing fine on the staying alive part, but with 0 spell damage, either your DPS'ers are holding back a lot, or they're not too familiar with their abilities.

You want spell damage, your abilities have spell coefficients for a reason.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Hollyhell » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:50 pm

I will also say i've not actually MTd yet (last night was my 2nd time in Kara as prot), so I've just been an OT. I healed on all the other bosses that don't really require an OT as well. Last night was kinda retarded as well, since one of the healers was busy watching 300, rather than healing, so I think I died way more than necessary. I'll play with my gear a bit as well, see what kind spell dmg I can come up with. Ideally I'd like a fast, decent sword to put 40 spell dmg on, rather than a blue.
Hollyhell

Postby Vanifae » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:14 pm

Hollyhell wrote:I will also say i've not actually MTd yet (last night was my 2nd time in Kara as prot), so I've just been an OT. I healed on all the other bosses that don't really require an OT as well. Last night was kinda retarded as well, since one of the healers was busy watching 300, rather than healing, so I think I died way more than necessary. I'll play with my gear a bit as well, see what kind spell dmg I can come up with. Ideally I'd like a fast, decent sword to put 40 spell dmg on, rather than a blue.

I assume you are Horde, so get the spell damage sword from Thrallmar.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Baelor » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:15 pm

Options available to a pre-Karazhan or just-starting Karazhan raider for weapons:
Arena reward mace, season 1 or 2
Thrallmar/Honor Hold exalted reward sword
Lower City exalted mace
Keepers of Time revered sword

and a bunch of mixed swords/maces from drops. Here, a link to WoWhead filtered lists:
http://www.wowhead.com/?items=2.4&filte ... =100#0-2+1
That's 1H maces with >100 spell damage

http://www.wowhead.com/?items=2.7&filte ... =100#0-2+1
Same filter for swords

Sort by item level and ignore swords >125 item level, those are 25 man raid drops. Everything else is within reach if you don't like Continuum Blade. If you're uncomfortable with Continuum Blade though, you need your head examined. 121 spell damage (+40 with enchant) and 30 stamina, you can't argue with that for a rep reward to hold you over until you either grind enough arena, Thrallmar/Lower City rep, or raid enough to upgrade.
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Vanifae » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:17 pm

I was always partial to the Greatsword of Horrid Dreams.
Vanifae

Postby Hollyhell » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:23 pm

Like I said, right now I do have CB... Going to filter a list for swords here later to see what is available with spell dmg and a good amount of stam (as well). It seems that CB is one of the few available with those particular stats.
Hollyhell

Return to Basic Training & Talents