Remove Advertisements

Solo Tanking Kara

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Solo Tanking Kara

Postby Splitty » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:04 pm

I've soloed tanked Kara on many occasions, but always had an off-tank for Netherspite -- whether it be a DPS Warrior, Boomkin, or some other class with the capability of high armor.

However, this is usually the fight that goes wrong for us because of some person who has never tanked the red beam before.

My idea is this: Solo tank everything INCLUDING Netherspite.

Netherspite follows a standard aggro table whenever someone is not in the red beam. Now myself and the rest of the people in the raid outgear the instance (T6 and equivalent badge loot).

1st set of beams, I take the red one.
2nd set of beams, NO one takes the red one, however, I take the blue one. I save wings + trinkets + destro pots for when the portals spawn. The increasing stack on the blue beam is more damage output from me which equates to more threat. The incoming damage on me from both the blue beam and Netherspite means a nearly endless supply of mana for which to spam threat abilities. I believe if I ramp up enough spell damage + mitigation for this fight, it can be done.

Anyone have any thoughts to the contrary?
Splitty

Postby Neara » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:23 pm

I don't think going for the blue beam would be wise. With empowerment + ~35+ blue stacks he should hurt quite a bit even in T6.
The damage in that phase would be quite low, because the red beam on him decreases incoming dmg, but with T6-geared DDs you shouldn't hit the enrage-timer.
Neara

Postby ldeboer » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:43 pm

Now there is a cool idea ... let us know if you pull it off.

Prob 50% blue beam sounds like a better idea.

1 Healer 1 Tank 8 dps should be able to beat the current speed clear record of Kara at 1hr 21min I believe it stands at.
ldeboer

Postby Cosmoz » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:25 pm

only tried netherspike once with my tankadin, and we had the strat all set up befor, rogue in t6 was going to tank him on 2nd phase.
but, netherspike died just after p1 and we never entered p2 so problem was solved :D
Cosmoz

Postby Seloei » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:27 am

The problem with that idea, is that each stack of red beam that hits him, he takes 3% less damage. Also any class can tank red beam. If you are unsure they can dance it drop two in there and problem solved
Seloei

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:16 am

Seloei wrote:The problem with that idea, is that each stack of red beam that hits him, he takes 3% less damage. Also any class can tank red beam. If you are unsure they can dance it drop two in there and problem solved

Not any, not indefinitely, but here goes

Clothies: Use your armor buffs, dance 1 tick in, 4 ticks out, can take up to 8 ticks(then crits on cloth will be oneshotty-ish)
Leather... Well, rogues >.>: Do the same as a normal tank, pop evasion after taking a few ticks. 1 tick in 3 ticks out is good.
Mail: Take it like a tank, 1 tick in 2 ticks out is the usual. If you don't have a shield, do as Leather, or pop Deterrence if you have it.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Fapman » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:29 am

Does anyone count ticks?

I just watch my hp and if it gets 'low' i go back in the beam.
Fapman

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:02 am

I typically dodge more attacks out of the beam than the beam debuff allows me to.
andi t's a tick per second so the debuff timer counts too.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Fapman » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:33 am

I'm not yet up to the gear level that i need to worry about the debuff timer.

(My sig currently shows me in healing gear, so don't laugh, though i did tank some ZA trash in it :()
Fapman

Problem

Postby djellum » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:49 am

if you get the debuff from running the first beam you cant take the second phase one i thought. thats the reason for rotating spots.

if you take the red beam phase 1 you cant take the other beam phase 2 right?

djellum

Postby ldeboer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:12 pm

Yes but you cant just stand in the red beam for entire phase either

---> Health is modified - the first application gives +31,000 maximum health, with additional stacks reducing maximum health by 1000 per stack.
---> Replenishes full health every tick.

You will eventually get one shotted if you just stood there as you HP goes down.

You have to dance in and out of red beam ticks when you let it hit netherspite all it does is his damage taken reduced by 1% per tick.

Thats what they are talking about.

So there is a balance act you must take a number of the ticks and netherspite must take a number of the ticks of one phase the other tank repeats the dance on the other phase.

Any class can therefore "tank" netherspite in the red beam because they start with 31K HP and its fully returned each tick but clothies etc must let more thru to netherspite as there HP comes down they will eventually get one shotted.

To show you imagine netherspite hits for say 20K on cloth (I actually dont know it's a guess number) a clothie cant get more than 11 ticks in total on them during a phase because at that point there max HP would be 20K ... 31K start - 11 ticks of 1K = 20K HP. They would get one shotted the fact the HP is going to be fully restored on next tick is irrelevant they are dead.

Obviously a hit on plate will be alot less than cloth so they can take more ticks per phase.

I should add you do however have to have a tank because for the period at the first pull and after each banish phase but before the beams appear he will have to be tanked. If you had a clothie tanking and a tank didn't pick him up he would default in walking over and killing the clothie who was last in the red beam.
ldeboer

Postby Mordinm » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:10 am

The debuff that prevent you from getting beams are color specific. So yes, you can take red one round and then blue the next while you still have the red exhaustion debuff on you.

Clothies can't tank him. At least not for long without needing massive healing. They can't take many debuff because they get hit so hard. So you end up with a guy with 5% avoidance taking 20k damage every 2 seconds or so and not getting much benefit from the red beam healing because he can't stay in the beam very long at all.
Mordinm

Postby Worldie » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:05 pm

With empowerment he will hit t6 plates for around 7-8k damage per swing. If healers are spamming you and you got decent avoidance, you can live through it.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby ydraw » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:04 am

If your raid is as geared as you say, stay on him for netherbreaths and he should be dead before phase 2 even starts.
ydraw

Return to Karazhan