Prince Positioning

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Prince Positioning

Postby Thriebeem » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:50 pm

So, I looked using the search feature about this particular issue, but was unable to find it, maybe I'm just slow.

My guild ran the top half of kara last night where the run was progression for about half of the members. The other times that I have tanked prince, we were able to burn him down relatively quickly (under 6 min i think). Last night however, this was a progression fight for most of the DPS and the fights ended up lasting quite a bit longer and the infernals got us each time. Our best try was a wipe at 5% and 7 min or so...

I've always tanked him against either the wall to the left as you enter or the shorter wall right in front of you as you enter. Does anyone have positioning pointers or things that I might be doing wrong?
Thriebeem

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:07 pm

Things to care about your positioning
1: You are not being burned
2: melee isn't being burned
3: Ranged is in range and isn't being burned
4: you are facing Prince.
5: you won't get punted by shadow nova unless that's your intention.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Thriebeem » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:17 pm

It seems like we had everything down except #3. We started out with the ranged dps and healers in the doorway so that they would not get an infernal right on top of them, but I ended up needing to move either towards or away from them, which was bad, either outranged or shadownovaed. Is this a good starting place? I've noticed many guides place the ranged out in the middle of the platform. We tried that once and had an infernal land right on the ranged (didn't move quite fast enough I think, the spotter called it out).

WoW Resources - Warcraft Links
Thriebeem

Postby ldeboer » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:42 pm

Thriebeem wrote:It seems like we had everything down except #3. We started out with the ranged dps and healers in the doorway so that they would not get an infernal right on top of them, but I ended up needing to move either towards or away from them, which was bad, either outranged or shadownovaed. Is this a good starting place? I've noticed many guides place the ranged out in the middle of the platform. We tried that once and had an infernal land right on the ranged (didn't move quite fast enough I think, the spotter called it out).

There are no safe places anymore they have overlaid the infernal grids so they can and do overlap everywhere. You will most likely have to move no matter where you start.

You as the tank have the worst view on everything as generally there is this big fat guy hell bent on kicking the tripe out of you right infront of you. I prefer near the wall to limit knock back but I do tank a bit off it so I can see around. I can imagine thats why some tanks prefer the middle now.

This fight will always be a bit of luck no matter how good your group you can end up with nowhere to run as you are surrounded by infernals.
ldeboer

Postby Annadin » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:31 am

We always start the fight with the tank (me) with back to the wall up against the big lump in the middle of the long wall opposite the doorway, about where Prince Malcolm turns around at the near end of his path.

Ranged plant themselves in a tight group near the middle of netherspace and are ready to move on call.

Try to visualise a 33-yard piece of string from the boss' backside to the ranged group that must be kept taut at all times. If the call comes to move it's always <ranged | tank> <towards the door | away from the door>.

Remember, the infernals' AoE has a slightly soft edge and you can find some really surprising 'sweet spots' between apparently too-close infernals. :wink:

The key is communication - it's as simple as that. Virtually no infernal placement is insurmountable, even as progression content. Hang in there and keep talking :)
Wittysigplaceholdertext.txt

Main: Annadin, Paladin
Spare Tankadin: Panadoll, Paladin
Other Alts: Jaybee, Priest - Samiam, Rogue - Shamiam, Shaman
Guild: Cotton Candy of Shadowsong Europe
Youtube: Channel
Annadin

Postby towelliee » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:57 am

It's a luck fight. Position him against any wall it doens't matter. Just need to dodge the infernals and move quick when needed. Its a luck fight, simple.
towelliee

Postby solina » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:16 am

towelliee wrote:It's a luck fight. Position him against any wall it doens't matter. Just need to dodge the infernals and move quick when needed. Its a luck fight, simple.

Given this to be true, I like to position him somewhere against the side wall - hang a left as you go in the room, go about 10 paces, and stop. This gives the melee dps a bit less running around - they can just go hide in the doorway, instead of going all the way to the range group and back. Range group will be on the back wall (hang a right) and will need to find max range from you. This also lets you give directions like "tank - towards the door, range - away from the door" to respond to infernal drops.
solina

Postby Holyfuri » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:26 am

Most of this has been said, but here's the deal.

Prince is a luck fight. The longer the fight goes on the more likely it is that bad luck will kill you.

7 minutes is a long time for that fight. 6 minutes sounds about right, and bad luck can still wipe you pretty easily in that time.

Yes, you can have a hunter or mage keep an eye to the sky and call out bad infernal drops ahead of time, etc. but sometimes you just plain get screwed.

We kill prince every week in 2.5-3.5 minutes and usually don't have to move at all. Every now and then we have to move once...

In conclusion there are really two things you can do.

1. Get higher dps.

2. Get lucky.
Holyfuri

standard

Postby djellum » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:59 am

our standard tactic is to tank him strait out from the door with your back to the right side wall. theres a small landing right there that shields combat dps from the knockback and lets them stay really close to the fight to start doing dmg faster once its done.

if the dps and heals are just outside doorway cave and standing with their back to the rocks to the left of the door they will be at max range outside of the aoe if you are in the right spot they have about 5 yards to back up if needed or their worried.

then your not stuck anyplace cause the whole raid can adjust and have at least some movement room. the dps often get chased into the doorway and then infernaled but thats prince.

any way you try it we just try to use as little space as possible. infernals are random so using 10% of the space means 90% of the time the infernal will not bother you. doesnt seem that way though lol.

djellum

Postby Thriebeem » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:35 am

Holyfuri wrote:Most of this has been said, but here's the deal.

Prince is a luck fight. The longer the fight goes on the more likely it is that bad luck will kill you.

1. Get higher dps.

2. Get lucky.

We downed him on Sat. in about 5:30 after a couple of attempts. Looks like combining 1 and 2 works wonders, thanks for the advice everyone!

WoW Resources - Warcraft Links
Thriebeem

Postby Funderbolt » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:58 pm

We kill Prince every week without moving. We simply jump up on the pole that is just inside the door. The elemental damage does not hurt while standing on the pole. The tank backs Prince up against the wall to the right where he is in range of the healers and Prince is in max range of the DPS.

Any melee still has to run in and out and possibly die if elementals kill him. If an elemental drops close to the tank, we just heal him through it.

Shhhhhh.....don't tell anybody :)
Funderbolt

Return to Karazhan