Magtheridon threat gone awry lately...

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Magtheridon threat gone awry lately...

Postby Kellann » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:48 pm

So - in my dragging guildies through this encounter the last 2 weeks I've had threat go really wonky.

Both times I've MT'd, both times someone random got ROFLSTOMPED when the boss decided that he temporarily didn't like how I tasted.

First time I was doing just fine - nearest DPS was at something like 55% threat (omen - all running newest)...when around 50% health Mag decides to go and destroy the #2 then #3 threat people. After he's satisfied with their deaths, he comes back to me and we continue as normal. In the end we found out that one of our Alting healy priests was using Suppression on me - but doesn't Omen log that?

Second time (last week) something similar. Got him down into the ~40% range when he ran across the room, killed a hunter (was #6 on Omen, around 30% of my threat) and then meandered back over to me. Nobody was specced PS for this fight, so that didn't play a part.

Any clue wtf this is about?

(I honestly don't *care* since it doesn't impact the fight...but it's rather annoying)
Kellann - Uther
Kellann

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:50 pm

Supression is temporary and only a 4% loss. Your threat would be roughly where 96% is when you are tanking. If all dpsers were that far from you, you'd never lose aggro.

Ah, and are you grossly overgeared compared to them? Having people SO FAR behind you is odd.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Kellann » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:19 pm

No, we're all early/mid T6.

I just roll him rather threatening-like(dual threat trinkets, etc) and tend to have a bit of time to build a stupid lead (a bit of Alt dps means that he comes active with 1~2 adds up).

That plus both times I'm talking about I was doing quite well at juggling seals - as well as getting in some well timed AS+Exo during banish

We all overgear the encounter, so provided people click the boxes I play silly games like crazily-unnecessary-tps to pass the time :P

Really annoying to go OOM on him though...probably should start to downgear more (not *quite* like on VR, but it's getting close).

not to mention that the person who got stomped at a low relative % threat was a *HUNTER* :P
Kellann - Uther
Kellann

Postby iwillpunishu » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:15 pm

I haven't had any problems tanking him, but I have had a hell of time tanking the trash that leads up to him. I don't know if there immune too holy damage or its just me, but it seems like I'm hitting them with a fishing pool.
iwillpunishu

Postby jere » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:57 pm

One of our priests regularly uses Pain Suppression. It hasn't caused any aggro issues yet.
jere

Postby Seloei » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:35 am

Seen a similar thing happen. One hunter continually pulls agro when he is not even near my threat.
Halazzi, his at 78% threat halazzi beelines to him, wacks him, comes back.
42% threat on kaz'rogal, suddenly he decides he likes that hunter again. *splat*

Once he updated all of his addons (omen included) it stopped. The people who died might have said they have the latest omen, yet haven't updated for months.

edit: if they have updated omen, did they update the threat libraries? Some addon updaters do not to deep updates, and only update the program not its "components"
Seloei

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:18 am

omen has a "ready check" that scans through the raid and messages them if their omen is old.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Trillianne » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:00 am

iwillpunishu wrote:I haven't had any problems tanking him, but I have had a hell of time tanking the trash that leads up to him. I don't know if there immune too holy damage or its just me, but it seems like I'm hitting them with a fishing pool.

This is happening to me. And since half my guild has never run with a paladin tank its limiting what they are allowing me to tank..... and becoming very frustrating to me. :(

Anyone have some advice?
Trillianne

Postby Antagonist » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:11 pm

Trillianne wrote:
iwillpunishu wrote:I haven't had any problems tanking him, but I have had a hell of time tanking the trash that leads up to him. I don't know if there immune too holy damage or its just me, but it seems like I'm hitting them with a fishing pool.

This is happening to me. And since half my guild has never run with a paladin tank its limiting what they are allowing me to tank..... and becoming very frustrating to me. :(

Anyone have some advice?

Noticed this last night too. Is there some bizarre mechanic w/ the trash there?
Antagonist

Postby antiy4ho0 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:25 am

I have issues with Mag's trash every week, and every week I ask my co-tanks if they notice anything wonky on the trash threat and nobody has issues but me. I usually mark myself for 2nd or 3rd kill targets and first attacks on the mobs pull them right off of me even though Omen says I have a 7k+ threat lead.

-edit

Not to Hi-jack or anything. I've never had any issues with Mag himself, but one of my co-tanks swears that since the last patch that Omen sometimes is seriously off and hes getting pulled from when the nearest person is 10k+ below him. I haven't noticed it except for on mag's trash so who knows.
antiy4ho0

Postby Trillianne » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:00 pm

Ok so I've been browsing the log from our latest Mag trash, and it seems that the Hellfire Warder have significant holy resistance at the start of each pull that eventually diminishes. However, I'm willing to bet since these are fairly simple trash mobs that the resistance wearing off coincides about with the DPS hopping onto my target. (I too have been assigned 2nd or third target in an effort to get more aggro before the dps get onto my target.)

Hypothesis #1 - The pack of three have a shared holy resistance that happens whenever there are 2 together.

Hypothesis #2 - This is a fabulous new bug we have uncovered!

I have not found anything on wowwiki or wowhead to suggest these fellas are supposed to have this holy resistance when they are all together.

edit - so I filled out a GM ticket to try and see if this is feature/bug and the answer was......*drumroll*.... "The issue reported is not considered to be "broken" and should be functioning normally." :?
Trillianne

Postby antiy4ho0 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:32 am

The resistance being in effect when the mobs are close together would go with what I've experienced. Did the GM seem to understand exactly what the question was and did he confirm that mobs are resistant to holy damage or was it kind of one of those frustrating general answers?
antiy4ho0

Postby Trillianne » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:40 am

Well after two hours of waiting for a reply I had to get off the game for 15 minutes and of course... that's when I get the reply. :?

However I did get some tanking vindication with the RL of our groups as he filled in on a Kara run where I got to play MT/RL and showed I wasn't a "can't-hold-their-mob" idiot! :D
Trillianne

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag