Tempest keep and Botanica

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tempest keep and Botanica

Postby Donjuan » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:48 am

I am way behind most folks here and have yet to get keyed for kara and have never even been to tempest keep (any of them). I am doing ok as a tank though, and done shadow labs, steamvaults, shattered halls and black morass under my belt. I always have to pug, which is why i am so behind, my guild is not big enough.

Anyway I always get a bit nervous before going to a new dungeon , especially to tank for a pug. People are starting to take notice of me though, and am getting /w every day for the past few days for botanica as they heard i tank good ( i have been declining them ,as i felt i was not prepared) ( i just do what was outlined here and it works great). I am worried now, about messing it all up in a new place, as everyone says Botanica/ tempest keep is the hardest 5 man place in the game. I need tips please, i really need to get it right first time thats what people are expecting of ,me, I did black morass in a pug my first time there, but they tell me that tempest keep is harder than that also ( i found bm quite tough). My health is 11.5k now as i just made tha tank helemt last night, and am saving up for the rocket launcher alos (need mats), and i have 490 def and over 200 spell damage now, which on paper sounds enough, but remeber i am dealing with alot of uncertainties here. Is there any thing to be aware of in there that isnt in wowwikki?

Ps. reason this so crucial is cause a raid guild has taken notice, and I think they may let me tank for them if i keep up the pace.
Last edited by Donjuan on Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Donjuan

Postby kaisaa » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:53 am

personally, I think Botanica is pretty easy. The demon boss with the hellfire is mean on heroic, but in a regular 5-man with those stats I don't think you will have a problem.
kaisaa

Postby Donjuan » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:08 am

kaisaa wrote:personally, I think Botanica is pretty easy. The demon boss with the hellfire is mean on heroic, but in a regular 5-man with those stats I don't think you will have a problem.

Good to hear. How about the other tempest keep ones? mechnar and the last (I think its last one) Alcatraz? Is there any need for arcane resist stuff? I see alot of tank (warriors though) wearing that arcane set from scryer?
Donjuan

Postby Everum » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:19 am

Hmm. Botanica is actually pretty straightforward for tankadins. I don't recall anything special about it, but it has been awhile since I've been there, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

There are a few big pulls, with big I mean 5 - 6 mobs. I never bother with CC. Just tank them all and make sure the healer is awake. Most important is to know which mobs have to die first.

Sunseeker Stewards. Found in groups of 3 with 2 protectors. First priority target you will encounter in Botanica.

Commander Sarannis, the first boss you encounter is not a hard fight. One thing though, she calls for backup during the fight. Cleanse the arcane debuff on yourself if you have to. I once tanked with the debuff and grabbed the adds when they spawned. 3 instant arcane strikes later from the adds at the same time for 3k damage each and I was pretty much dead. I could have been very unlucky.

Next you will encounter Frayers (plants) with Botanists. Pull those groups and let your dps kill the Frayers first. From what I recall, they enrage or something. This I am not certain of. They are non-elite and should die fast. So either way, dps isn't really wasting a lot of time on them anyway. There will also be Chemists and Researchers. Move when you see a green cloud. Nothing special.

After Thorngrin (3rd demonic boss) you will find packs with Gene-splicers. They cast Death and Decay, an AoE spell. With a decent group you can burn them down before they get the spell off. Or CC them and leave them last. If one happens to get D&D off, move out of the radius. It kills.

I think those are the only things that you have to watch out for. Once you've been there and know the mobs, you can just mow them down. Great place for AoE tanking. Make sure you are grouplead and mark your kill targets. I usually have a simpel rule. You attack the marked one, or you are gone from the group. With Xperl I can see exactly what my group is attacking. Enforce it. Once you have people used to your style you will be amazed how smooth things can go.

As for the other 2 places. Arcatraz is just easy. But you have to know mob behavior and aggro-range. I have seen many tanks mess up pulls in the first bossroom. And watch those huge voidreaver mobs. Screamers. They absorb magical damage and if it is Holy, you are pretty much screwed for tanking. Let someone else pull with an useless element i.e. firemage pulling with rank 1 frostbolt so it isn't Holy being absorbed.

Mechanar would be the place the tanks wear arcane resistance for I guess. I never needed it, even for heroic. Not going into it like I did with Bot. Wowwiki is a very good source of information on trash mobs and I can recommend it.
Everum

Postby Donjuan » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:55 am

Thank you very much, :D I really appreciate you time spent on you post. I will be using you tactics for sure, great thing is I already have xpearl, and always get leader already (one of the reason why they like me so much, is that I explain alot of stuff as i do my homework, hence why I need so much info) so should be straightforward to implement your advice. wish me luck :D If i get attuned , there is a good chance i will be a main tank for on of their kara raid groups (the guild that might sign me up).
Donjuan

Postby Belldandi » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:36 am

You're more than prepared for TK instances =) none of them are that hard I think, the toughest time I had is one group in Bot, not enough DPS for the last boss. Nothing wrong with my tanking though. Just they wasn't killing the spawns fast enough before the boss heals himself.
Belldandi

Postby Candiru » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:14 am

Most important for botanica is after the sacrificing boss you have some stealthed mobs, then after that some large packs.

THERE IS A PACK TO THE LEFT OF THE DOOR YOU CAN'T SEE EASILY

First time I was there I threw shield to pull the right hand pack, and agroed both.

wipe.

So don't do that, pull the left hand one first :)
Candiru

Postby Vanifae » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:38 am

Don't be a wuss get in there, Tempest Keep is easy shit and you can get a nice shield from the Reputation.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Celefin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:52 am

Botanica:

My usual setting is
1 Resto Druid
1 Prot Pally (me)
1 Shadow Priest
1 Mage
1 Any dps

Shadow priest is useful for off healing when needed. Also can MC. MC is the key for some of the fights. For example you can MC the stewards and kill the others very quickly. Mage is good for CC.

Tips:
* Sheep when 3 is pulled.
* CC the different mob. Example: if there is 2 X and 1 Y CC the Y not one of the X.
* Bloodwarder Falconer's should definitely be CC ed since they can order their pets to attack 1 target.
* If you MC Bloodwarder Mender it can give you +295 spelldamage buff which will help a lot during the run.
* Second boss needs a little focus. From time to time he starts healing himself. At that point all party should stop dpsing him and pull adds to far and kill them. If adds are close to him they get healed as well. He heals himself as long as the adds are alive.
* Third boss requires you put your fire resistance aura on. Also when he sacrifices he resets hiss aggro table. So make sure your party knows that they should stop when the boss starts to run all around the battlefield attacking others. Use Avengers shield for re gaining aggro.
* Fourth boss teleports himself back to his initial standing place. Tank him there. Will spawn 2 adds at 2 blue cube-like places. Adds need to be taken care of.
*Last boss needs to be tanked close to bridge but not on the bridge. If you get on bridge its resetted. He will spawn adds that heal him after some time. So adds quickly need to be killed. Does aoe stun to melee range. Stuns 3 secs

Botanica is really easy and fun. Also fourth boss drops your shoulders. Good luck!
Celefin

Postby Donjuan » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:35 am

Celefin wrote:Botanica:

My usual setting is
1 Resto Druid
1 Prot Pally (me)
1 Shadow Priest
1 Mage
1 Any dps

Shadow priest is useful for off healing when needed. Also can MC. MC is the key for some of the fights. For example you can MC the stewards and kill the others very quickly. Mage is good for CC.

Tips:
* Sheep when 3 is pulled.
* CC the different mob. Example: if there is 2 X and 1 Y CC the Y not one of the X.
* Bloodwarder Falconer's should definitely be CC ed since they can order their pets to attack 1 target.
* If you MC Bloodwarder Mender it can give you +295 spelldamage buff which will help a lot during the run.
* Second boss needs a little focus. From time to time he starts healing himself. At that point all party should stop dpsing him and pull adds to far and kill them. If adds are close to him they get healed as well. He heals himself as long as the adds are alive.
* Third boss requires you put your fire resistance aura on. Also when he sacrifices he resets hiss aggro table. So make sure your party knows that they should stop when the boss starts to run all around the battlefield attacking others. Use Avengers shield for re gaining aggro.
* Fourth boss teleports himself back to his initial standing place. Tank him there. Will spawn 2 adds at 2 blue cube-like places. Adds need to be taken care of.
*Last boss needs to be tanked close to bridge but not on the bridge. If you get on bridge its resetted. He will spawn adds that heal him after some time. So adds quickly need to be killed. Does aoe stun to melee range. Stuns 3 secs

Botanica is really easy and fun. Also fourth boss drops your shoulders. Good luck!

Thank you :D, very much appreciated.
Donjuan

Tempest keep heroics

Postby Perico » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:58 am

Mech is extremely easy in heroic mode.

Usually we just run for 3 badges due to the time it takes to get the 4th.
(40-45 min for 3, another 35 min for the last badge)
If you do go for 4 you may need arcane resist for the Big robot guys on the 2nd floor. (Depending on your gear)
These guys hit as hard as any boss in here, and do arcane damage.

Bot is pretty easy as well, just time consuming as it takes a while to get to the first boss.
Perico

Postby Flex » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:37 am

If you've done BM you've done the "hardest" of the 5 mans as it depends on your DPS to not be retarded and you being geared enough to survive the second boss.

Arcatraz is next on the list as most difficult, but is mostly single pulls of sub-boss level health.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Diocaska » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:53 am

That HP (11.5k) is unbuffed right? If so, you have more HP than I did in Kara (or as a matter of fact, even now!).

Much of the instance has already been covered. Believe in yourself, and you'll do fine.

I cant view armory at work, but if your uncrushable, I'd be thinking more 'How will I do in Kara, than I would Bot' ^_^

Good luck. Tell us how it went :D
Aurellia(90) Ulshala(85) Diocaska(85) Leighesha(85)
Diocaska

Re: Tempest keep heroics

Postby Igrado » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:02 am

[quote="Perico"]
If you do go for 4 you may need arcane resist for the Big robot guys on the 2nd floor. (Depending on your gear)
quote]

I had never heard of needing/using arcane resist for this heroic, is it worth putting the time in to get the gear? could you possibly list some recommended pieces?
Igrado
Maintankadonor

Re: Tempest keep heroics

Postby cryst » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:30 am

Igrado wrote:
Perico wrote:If you do go for 4 you may need arcane resist for the Big robot guys on the 2nd floor. (Depending on your gear)

I had never heard of needing/using arcane resist for this heroic, is it worth putting the time in to get the gear? could you possibly list some recommended pieces?

You don't need AR for the Destroyers as long as you have the interrupts and/or your healers are on top of things.

If you really wanted to, you could probably throw on a few pieces of the Scryer craftable AR set, as long as you maintain the defense needed to remain uncrittable. The craftable AR cloak from Lower City rep is also an option; throw on a +15 AR enchant on there too if you have spare mats lying around.
cryst
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics