Comfortable hp for heroics?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Comfortable hp for heroics?

Postby Grammar » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:13 am

I'm currently around 11k but still face the "sorry your hp isn't high enough to tank" tell offs from heroic groups looking for a tank. When I ask what sort of hp they're looking for they never seem to have an answer. What is a good number to shoot for?

Link to my armory is in sig.

Thanks for the advice,
-Gram
Grammar

Postby Neara » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:23 am

What PuGs want and what's needed are two different things. But I guess they would start to feel O.K. about you at ~13k HP. From your armory i'd say you are fine to tank heroics with a bit CC.
Neara

Postby Worldie » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:11 pm

You can tank any heroic with 10-11k HP unbuffed without issues.

Oh i miss the old times when i was tanking with 9k HP :\
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Andryana » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:42 pm

I started with around 12k unbuffed and i did fine(even though i had some good healers backing me up :) ).

As long as you are crit immune and have some avoidance you should be ok.. even though people at PuG's normally only look at the HP..
Andryana

Postby Andurin » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:35 am

My first heroic was a disaster, 11k unbuffed, 20% dodge, uncrittable... but our healer was terrible... :roll: He started whining at me because he couldnt keep me up in his green gear, while I was at a solid 14.5k hp buffed...

Pugs are ok when your better geared... Untill that: Bring guildy's! They have faith in you and they know you :) once your about 12 / 13k pugs should be more promosing ^^
Andurin

Postby sleku » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:31 am

This one time I went to SP with like 12,5k unbuffed and druid healer quitted, saying that I have too little hp...

Started with ~11 and it was fine.
sleku

Postby Fivelives » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:32 pm

People are lazy nowadays. It seems odd, but the more nerfs hit content, the better people think your gear has to be to do it. Like the EJ holy priest thread - 1400 +heals to start kara? Puh-leeze.

11-12k hp unbuffed is plenty fine to tank any heroic - just stack the group as needed.
Fivelives

Postby Arcand » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:15 pm

Build the group yourself.

Heroics like Slave Pens and Mechanar are a lot easier with the right crowd control; watch for the right people sitting in LFM and pick them up. (Mage/Rogue/Hunter are great for Slave Pens, Warlock/Mage/Rogue/Hunter/Shadow Priest are great for Mechanar.)

Say up front that you're just getting into heroics, but that this should go well because we've got excellent crowd control.

Did I mention, before you do this, get comfortable marking targets for CC? Hotkey the marks. Fast, confident, accurate marking is learned by doing instances on normal and it makes your new groupmates feel comfortable with you.

Good luck.
Arcand

Postby uke » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:35 pm

Lol, we've got a new pally tank in the guild who just recently dinged 70, and is trying to get geared up for some heroics. He reads here and seems to have a good head on things, just have to get geared up.

We decided to try his first attempt at a heroic last night, h-Blood Furnace. He has just over 10k unbuffed, but he is uncrittable. I've switched my main spec to Ret recently, so I tagged along as dps for this run.

We got the run done, though we had a few wipes here and there. The double felguard packs near the last boss were brutal for him.

So yeah, you can run some of the easier heroics at 10k unbuffed. It's best if you do it with guildies (and esp. a good healer) with cc if you got it. There will be wipes, so it's good if you got friends along with you, and not some random lazy puggie.
uke

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics