Hexx Lord, how should we do it.

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Hexx Lord, how should we do it.

Postby Jeada » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:17 am

We tried Hexx lord for the first time last week. We got the
first 4 down now so most likely we will be hitting him up again tonight easily.

Tank Pally (me)
Tank Warrior
Healer restro druid
Healer Holy Pally
Healer Restro Shammy
DPS Destro lock
DPS Mage
DPS feral druid
DPS Rogue
DPS Hunter

Out first attempts at it last week, wasn't too bad... for attempts.
One problem was spirit bolts pwning us. (well really it's spirit bolts + some random damage + low hp) I'm sure we will have that corrected.

However... they had me Ot adds/ help healing when adds were down.
Which I personally think was hurting us more. The war is decently geared,
But I'm confendent enough I could tank Hexx + 2 adds at once.
Healing dose seem like an issue however, so should Push for
being the mt here or put on the healing gear and push for the Feral
druid to Ot. (The feral druid maintains dps, tank, and healing set, he is
also a very good player I could trust to do any role)

Any thoughts or suggestions? My gear is up for it Tank wise,
I've build a general set, a avoidance set, a Block/high armor set,
a High spell/ OT set.

My healing I can Get to over 1600+ however, during Spirit bolts
I'm not really able to spam, Con aura alone just wont cut it.

edit: I really need to stop logging out in healing gear >.<
Jeada

Postby Rasmfrackn » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:28 pm

You don't have a priest, which makes it a little tougher.

Honestly with that setup... you've got most of the possible CCs covered. I'd probably put you on the boss, and single-target kill the 4 adds with the warrior using dps gear, who can then switch to dpsing malacrass.

You didn't say how your tries went... were you dying to early bolts? letting him heal? hitting the soft enrage of too many bolt stacks?

We just tried (and killed) him for the first time on saturday, and we did single-target kills of all 4, and then i just kept up a judgement and contributed "dps" and healing... and we had 3 other healers (2 priests and a shaman). We just barely lost a dps warrior to the last bolts before we killed him.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby mazater » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:02 am

Dampen magic from a mage(Improved roxor)

CC as many of the adds as you can(Sheep, banish, sleep,shackle, turn undead)
depending on what adds comes, of course.

Then pewpew the boss, skipping all of the adds by CC:ing them and thus receiving less shadowbolt volleys.

Remember to spellsteal lifebloom & Avenging wrath.
mazater

Postby Bard » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:35 pm

Mazater wrote:Dampen magic from a mage(Improved roxor)

CC as many of the adds as you can(Sheep, banish, sleep,shackle, turn undead)
depending on what adds comes, of course.

Then pewpew the boss, skipping all of the adds by CC:ing them and thus receiving less shadowbolt volleys.

Remember to spellsteal lifebloom & Avenging wrath.
Dampen magic should ONLY be used if you have mostly cast-time healers (i.e. paladins and shammies) and your focus is SURVIVING the spirit bolts, and healing back up afterwards. Dampen magic should never be used if you run a resto druid and a CoH priest, both of whom are quite capable of healing right through spirit bolts. Suggest trying this combination for hex lord if at all possible. Just 1 resto druid and 1 CoH priest should do it. Cast time healers make the fight difficult.
Bard

Postby Seloei » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:01 pm

Pending no availability of shadow res gear, this fight is about CC'ng the adds and keeping them cc'd. Or burning the annoying ones if the people who are assigned to cc can't cut it.

Never break a cc when spirit bolts are incoming. Try to get atleast the belf dead (short huge heals). We still kill almost all the adds but we have SR gear so the spirit bolts are almost a no-brainer.

Tell the prot warrior to go into dps gear and let the feral druid tank the adds one by one (in dps gear but bear form) or go into heal gear instead, if you find you need more healing. Keep everyone close to topped off before bolts start and even with no heals people should survive. Theres a reason why health potions are ingame :)
Seloei

Postby Precio » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:01 pm

This is my ZA group.
Main Tank: ME
Off Tank: Prot war
Healer: Pally 1900+
Healer: Treeform 1800+
Healer: Shammy 1800+
DPS: Mage
DPS: Lock
DPS: Hunter
DPS: Rogue/DPS shammy
DPS: Spriest
In my healing gear, my healing is about 1400 as prot. Usually Kings every1 in the raid.

We kill the 2 left adds. Keep the 3rd add banished, and the fourth add shackled. You may need to do it differently, but killing 2 adds is usually enough (if your cc-ers aren't retarded.)

I off heal the raid. We keep all the ranged dps in the box in the middle of the room, and the war tanks him by the entrance.

Tank - Raid - Adds

That's how it goes. I tank the adds unless the heavy hitter is up
instead of the blood elf. (far left). If that occurs then we kill the 2nd add 1st so the war can build up threat on Hex, then after sbolts the war tanks the heavy hitter (focusing on him, since the healers shouldnt be near his threat on hex.) No dps on hex until those adds are down. Since you have a feral druid, he could tank that add in his dps gear.

After that keep everybody in the middle, keep fear ward up on tank, and make sure the tank kites on hunter phase. Try to call out 10 seconds before spirit bolts so the druid can get hots up on as many raid members as possible. Also, the significance of stacking is the chain heal from shaman. You wont be healing much during that phase but you can get a heal or 2 off. If your heals are needed, then bubble and heal.

This continues until he's down. During the soul drain phase, you can heal the tank while the shaman healer heals but watches for heals to interupt, if you raid is lacking interupts. Interrupting the heals is vital if you healers are struggling during ths sbolt phase.

That's all I have. Hope it helps.

PS: Since you have no priest. Kill the far right target as well.
12/14 Ulduar10 - 8/14 Ulduar25
Precio

Postby Eaglestrike » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:55 pm

I never understood the idea of CCing the adds the entire fight. The main issue with Hex Lord is two things:

1) Spirit bolts, he does this for 10s every minute or so.
2) Drain Power - He drains 1% of each persons alive damage and takes it for himself. So between each spirit bolt phase he does 10% more damage and each DPS does 1% less.

However, #2 doesn't begin until you take him to 80% health. So you can safely kill all 4 adds with Hex Lord not getting any stronger, then you don't need to interrupt DPSing to recast a CC, or worry about getting a CC off (of which no one is able to get 100% knockback resist on I believe) during spirit bolts and taking extra damage from an add during spirit bolts.

My main strategy is to kill all 4 adds first. Our first few attempts we tried to have me AOE tank 3-4 of the adds at once, and I could live through it, but there's so much random damage they do to other people and such, it wasn't safe to do it. So we generally kill all 4 adds first then get on the boss. This makes it so DPS worry about a lot less and the tank also has a huge threat lead so DPS can go all out.

To the OP, I have to ask why you have 3 tanks in your group. Now, I love to run with a feral druid, for ZA's especially, they let me tank the one-boss tanks and can easily fill the role of tank needed in a fight, but my guilds feral druids only hit 700 maybe 800 DPS where rogues are 900-1050 and our mages/warlocks are hitting up to 1400-1500 DPS. I recommend you get rid of either yourself or the prot warrior, have the feral druid tank the adds one at a time in kitty gear, and that'll essentially give you one free DPS for Hex Lord. The fight is just as much a DPS race as it is a battle for survival, since he does 10% more damage every minute once you get him to 80%

Also, get a priest if at all possible. Shadow protection is fairly effective at letting you resist enough damage to save lives at times, and concentration aura is also fairly necessary so the two paladins you have can't really use shadow resist aura instead. Ranged DPS is preferred but it's not a huge deal, just makes the paladin and hunter phases more difficult. Someone said to kite him during the hunter phase, I don't do that, just need to watch where the traps are and don't jump onto one when they get dropped. When he consecrates in the paladin phase though, move 10 yards away and tank him again, melee are safest not even trying to DPS in this phase. And make sure you dispel Avenging wrath, as it effects his spirit bolt damage.

Also, make sure he doesn't get heals off. During the paladin phase the shaman should be aware of this since the rogue won't have kick most likely because of consecrate. As well, make sure people have a fair amount of health, if anyone is below I'd say 8k health buffed, tell them to wear some PvP/stam pieces. Surviving spirit bolts is the #1 concern, all out DPS in between (depending on who he drains...)

I'm a big fan of killing all 4 adds, though, I recommend that to everyone.
Eaglestrike

Postby Colette » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:07 pm

We're tried both main ways- keeping CC down the whole time, and killing adds first. We've been much more successful with killing the adds first. We let the warrior tank pull and tank the adds and I JoR hex lord to pull him off and take him to the back (where my consecrate is nowhere near the CC).

Since the adds die first, that gives me a good 3 or 4 minutes to build threat, which means that if he siphons a pally I can just leave consecrate out of my rotation altogether so I never have to second guess whether a consecrate is mine or not.

As far as healing goes, we actually usually have a pally healer at the top of the charts, and we always have at least one resto shammy. We've tried a variety of healer setups, and as long as they're competent and well geared, we haven't had much problem with it.
Colette

Postby Ashmadai » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:31 am

Since the adds die first, that gives me a good 3 or 4 minutes to build threat, which means that if he siphons a pally I can just leave consecrate out of my rotation altogether so I never have to second guess whether a consecrate is mine or not.

Just a heads up, Hex Lord always, without fail, uses his consecrate at the same time as he pops his wings. No need to stop using your own consecrate, just move as soon as you see him do his animation for popping wings.
Ashmadai

Postby Colette » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:14 am

Really? I guess our mages are really fast with spell steal. Could've sworn he only pops wings once or twice a phase but consecrates 3 or 4 times.
Colette

Postby fuzzygeek » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:07 am

There is a creative use of game mechanics that can be used ... which may or may not be a bannable offense.

It requires a rogue and hunter.

Raid stands outside the gate.

Rogue goes inside, pulls, vanishes. The pull resets, Hexlord vanishes.

Hunter runs in, drops a frost trap on where Hexlord spawns, and FDs in the middle of the room.

Hexlord spawns and instantly despawns.

Hunter runs up and drops another trap. Entire raid runs in.

As soon as Hexlord spawns, he will engage the raid. Sans adds, or possibly with one or two, but not the full compliment. At this point of course the fight is stupidly trivial.

Yeah, I have no idea how people figure these things out.

I don't recommend doing this as it's probably a bannable offense, but it's a neat little parlour trick.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Return to Zul'aman